PDA

View Full Version : NTL Phone - Nuisance call (is this a scam?)

sav112
18-12-2006, 14:13
Hi my NTL phone is our second line with the main phone BT.

I keep getting these calls on the NTl that start Hello - Hello in a recorded Voice then it cuts out?

What is this, it’s annoying to the point I was thinking about dropping ntl phone…I don’t mind going up stairs on the odd occasion when it’s a valid call but this just disturbs me time after time.

The only reason the phone is there was because it was free, I usually just use my mobile if the main BT line is being used.

Paul K
18-12-2006, 14:51
probably a call center somewhere with a badly set or faulty autmated dialler. Is your NTL line listed on the TPS ?

sav112
18-12-2006, 15:50
i could not tell you about the NTl line but the Bt line is. I registered last year when it was getting out of hand.

Thing is it lists the number, lost count of the times i have got this call.

Saneboy13
18-12-2006, 17:14
Hi Sav,

Did you say that you can get the number if you 1471? if you can then goto
http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/ncd/default.asp
and put the number in there. This will give you a little more info. on the company that the calls are coming from, then register your line with TPS and also report the company that's calling you.

Normally you have to wait a little time after registering with the TPS, but if you having a lot of calls they can act on it sooner

Bill C
18-12-2006, 17:55
I've been getting calls from 08001830143.
When I call back it says "Automated call from RHL"
I'm registered with the TPS.

Found out these people are the curprits.
http://www.response-handling.com/findex.html

I phoned them on this number 01412721105 and they removed me from their list or so they say .

Will wait and see.

When i asked them who they were calling me for they would not say :(

I have a feeling its my employers :(

Saneboy13
18-12-2006, 18:00
I have to keep testing my phone every two days or so to make sure it works, since I registered with TPS I have had no other calls at all. I must be one of the very, very lucky few

Graham M
18-12-2006, 18:30
That appears to be the country code for South Korea :)

sav112
18-12-2006, 18:31
0082 1232 87000 seems to be the number if I took it down right, lost it on the phone but wrote it down.

i thought automated was banned in the UK?

Graham M
18-12-2006, 18:32
That appears to be the country code for South Korea :)

0082 1232 87000 seems to be the number if I took it down right, lost it on the phone but wrote it down.

i thought automated was banned in the UK?

How did that happen lol?

sav112
18-12-2006, 18:41
I posted then thought I'll delete and do it again lol

so my Number is South Korea- thats all i need.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

just activated my NTL number like i did the BT one! 28 days etc with tps....

bhoywonder1967
18-12-2006, 21:57
....When i asked them who they were calling me for they would not say :(

I have a feeling its my employers :(

If you mean are they working for NTL, there's a good chance. Although they also have an even bigger and much more profitable contract with Sky.

Begize
19-12-2006, 18:05
Hi Sav,

Did you say that you can get the number if you 1471? if you can then goto
http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/ncd/default.asp
and put the number in there. This will give you a little more info. on the company that the calls are coming from, then register your line with TPS and also report the company that's calling you.

Normally you have to wait a little time after registering with the TPS, but if you having a lot of calls they can act on it sooner

The Icstis search only works on premium rate numbers and a few other types. I was getting a lot of silent calls from a local numbered call centre that was always engaged when I called back. I got three in one day and according to the regs, they're only supposed to call once in 72 hours if they don't get an answer.

I complained to Ofcom about it - www.ofcom.org.uk (http://www.ofcom.org.uk)

They don't actually do anything with individual complaints but they keep stats and act on them if a particular company gets a lot.

bigboab5
19-12-2006, 21:27
I phoned them on this number 01412721105 and they removed me from their list or so they say .

Well that number is a Glasgow number, and it is part of the Murray group, the guy who owns Rangers Football club. He has a call centre next to the stadium I think.

Bill C
19-12-2006, 21:35
Well that number is a Glasgow number, and it is part of the Murray group, the guy who owns Rangers Football club. He has a call centre next to the stadium I think.

Well i have not had a single call since so it looks like i have been removed. :)

dtweek
27-03-2007, 16:23
I've been getting calls from same number for past 2 days. Haven't managed to speak to the person on the other end as I've either missed call or I've been in a poor service area. It's about 4 calls a day. It's apparently a virgin number according to http://www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/codelook.asp though I've no idea if that link is reliable, I just came across it when I googled the number.

sav112
27-03-2007, 16:41
Not got the problem anymore the Virgin Phone I got rid of when i went over to Sky.
The BT line was registered to stop tele-sales etc, we dont get any.

Mikemouse
12-01-2008, 20:24
Re:08001830143. If you follow this link:

www.whocallsme.com

then type in that telephone number, you will find a lot more information about this nuisance caller.