PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Telephone number change disaster

NTL_Victim
12-12-2006, 20:56
Hi, I've been a fairly frequent viewer of 'cableforum' for a few years now, and gleaned much valuable information.

Okay, here's my problem:

(I've calmed down a bit now- so I've edited my posting, and cut out the 'waffle')

I have had to wait for three weeks for a telephone number change (nuisance calls), my number should have changed last Thursday. I called on Friday, and was told that it would definitely chnge on the Saturday (new computer system etc etc). Okay, it didn't- so I called again yesterday- and was promised that it would change today.

Now my old number is defunct (as planned)- but I cannot 'phone out. I just get a slight 'hiss' when I engage the 'phone. If I repeatedly engage/disengage/re-engage the 'phone a few times- I get a slow, engaged type tone pattern (so there is a connection with the exchange). I'm disabled, and rely on my telephone; luckily I have a mobile 'phone for emergencies! If I didn't have a mobile 'phone, I'd have been up the proverbial without a paddle. I have wasted £5 today- £1.40 trying to get through, and onto the queuing system- and £3.60 waiting to get through/speaking to a representative. At 17:23, I finally got onto the queuing system (before I kept getting the message that they are busy, and to call back later). The Indian call centre woman wasn't exactly helpful- she gave me the sales number!

I now face the prospect of wasting yet more money tomorrow- just trying to get through. Supposedly, the reason why I have had to wait so long, is because my number was originally a BT number (that I transfered- six years ago). My mobile 'phone is for emergencies, and I've lost £5 because of this- and my NTL landline number is unreachable (I don't even know what the number is as yet).

What's happened at NTL(?)- every time I call, it say that there's a 20+ min queue- even at 8:20am (last week).

How should I get this resolved?

Thanks

quadplay
12-12-2006, 21:32
Sounds like your line's plugged in, but disabled on the switch. Can I ask where in the country you are?

NTL_Victim
12-12-2006, 21:33
'Oop Norf'.... Manchester area. (Thanks for responding)

quadplay
12-12-2006, 21:49
That might have something to do with it! We've just implemented a new billing system in your area (last Wednesday in fact), so most CSRs are still learning their way around. I don't have access to that system at the moment or else I'd take a look. Hopefully one of the team will be along shortly - they can pass your issue on to some contacts at ntl who should be able to help.

NTL_Victim
12-12-2006, 22:05
Okay, I see- thanks a lot for your reply. You'd think that they'd make a point of checking the line first though...

Yeah, I spoke to a UK-based CSR woman last week, and she kept apologising when looking for my details etc (on the new computer system)- she said that they were only given about 10mins training! She was really friendly and courteous...

Thanks again.

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 08:50
I still cannot get through to them- and have now wasted £8 in mobile 'phone costs!!

I called at 08:15 today, and it said that I would have to wait for up to 10 mins... 25 mins later- and I was still on hold. I have about £2 left, and need that 'phone for emergencies (as I am disabled). How can the 'phonelines be jammed so early in the morning??

Could someone PLEASE help= I have never suffered such poor service in my life- they should have changed my number yesterday, but instead cancelled the old number, and deactivated my line!

NTL won't respond to my email, and I cannot get through to them via the 'phopne- I cannot afford to call back and wait for another 20mins- I only have £2 credit left.

Again, could an NTL employee PLEASE help me out here?

Thanks.

/EDIT/

Don't worry about it- I've been on to Customer Relations, and have explained the situation to someone there.

Anyway, thanks for the replies 'quadplay'- much appreciated.

/EDIT/

quadplay
13-12-2006, 09:42
Good to hear you got through to someone! Keep us updated with your progress. :)

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 10:07
Well, what a helpful person he was- not only did he reimburse the amount that I wasted in trying to get through many times (and then given bogus information by a call centre worker based in India)- he called back three times in total (as the number rang at his end, but not at mine).

He initially said that he couldn't guarantee that I would have the line on within 24 hours- but 15-20 minutes later- my new number was activated properly! I even got a call from a woman asking whether my line was now working- and the friendly CR man also made sure it was working. I wish I could remember his name (but I thanked him at the time of course)...

Cheers 'quadplay'- thanks for taking an interest in this matter... :)

Derek
13-12-2006, 10:09
Good to see things are fixed for you.

:welcome: to the site.

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 10:17
Thanks for the welcome Derek- I'm really pleased that this has finally been resolved.

It took over two weeks to get the number changed (and had to endure nuisance calls throughout (the reason for the change actually)). I couldn't believe it when my old number was finally cancelled yesterday- I was greeted by a 'dead' line!

I do hope NTL fix the Customer Services situation- there's a 20+ minute wait no matter what time of the day one calls. Wow, what a stressfull 24 hours...

Finally sorted out now, thank God! :)

quadplay
13-12-2006, 10:40
Excellent news. I hope you'll stick around and keep contributing to the forums :)

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 16:21
I can't believe this, my 'phone has gone off yet again!!

Original posting: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33604847

What's wrong with NTL?? Could anyone help please?

I'm on the verge of changing to BT now!

Paul K
13-12-2006, 16:25
Don't mean to assk a strange question but why not post in the original thread? As to what is wrong with NTL the new billing system, lack of training etc all mounts up sometimes.

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 16:28
(now merged)

Paul K
13-12-2006, 16:31
Nah, a team member could edit the title or even just your own posting into the original thread would have made it clear that a problem is still there.
I just wonder if this is just another hiccup with the new "improved" billing system. Lets face it computers rarely screw up but the people inputting data into them.......... ;)

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 16:38
(see below)

MovedGoalPosts
13-12-2006, 16:47
threads merged.

Have you contacted anyone at ntl to tell them it's gone wrong again. They will probably have no way of knowing unless you tell them.

NTL_Victim
13-12-2006, 16:52
Thanks to the person whom messaged me.

*** Case closed ***

quadplay
13-12-2006, 18:58
So, is it fixed again now?