PDA

View Full Version : Have a Wii and a Mac? Want a Lightsaber?

Stuart
12-12-2006, 16:21
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/12/wii_remote_is_light_sabre/

A japanese programmer his developed a small app for the Mac that enables the user to pair a Wii remote, and use it like a light saber (complete with noise).

This version only supports one remote, but apparently he is working on support for multiple remotes, and possibly even battles.

:D

DocDutch
12-12-2006, 16:47
here was me wondering how long it would take for some1 to use the remote on a pc :D

Damien
12-12-2006, 16:52
THAT IS SO COOL! I hope!

punky
12-12-2006, 17:03
here was me wondering how long it would take for some1 to use the remote on a pc :D

Already done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ytdW6Ys2A

Also there is a cool one showing someone playing Half Life 2 using a PC on YouTube (Can't link to it as theres a swear word in it but search for wii half-life)

Done at www.wiili.org

greencreeper
13-12-2006, 00:55
I saw the Wii/Wee being demonstrated on one of those gadget programmes. Gone is the image of the fat, spotty teenager/geek spending lonely nights battling the undead/Germans/aliens with "friends". So, yeah, the screams and crashes might worry the neighbours, but as you fight off the undead with only so much as a chair leg, you're raising your heart rate and exercising those long-dormant muscles. Methinks it's the dawn of a new era in gaming. Also looks dead cool.

dtweek
13-12-2006, 19:19
so what's the WII like is it worth me getting one once their back in the shops or should I hold out for the PS3. will the Wii be just a five minute wonder?

Damien
13-12-2006, 19:29
PS3 looks pretty bad and over-priced. I would get a Wii and a 360. After all the 360 and the PS3 will have the same type of games and there is not much between them graphically.

The Wii is not a one-off feature. The controls are fun and gimmicky for Wii Sports but they feel a lot more natural and engaging in Zelda. You do not over do the movements, using the numchuck connected to the wii remote feels very comfy. So they are very good controls and feel like your playing a professional and excellent game.

Zelda is improved because of the new control.

Also even if the Wii bombs, which is looking unlikely. You have all the previous nintendo games ont he virtual console. Nintendo are a big, talented force in gaming, nothing they do will likely ever be a five minute wonder.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

The DS out-did the PSP. Dispite the PSP being Sony and being much much more powerful. Very thought the DS was a flash in the pan, last-ditch attempt.

dtweek
13-12-2006, 19:32
wasn't aware of the back cat online. Now that sounds cool. Maniac Mansion here I come

Damien
13-12-2006, 21:37
They are not all up. They are going to keep putting them up over the next year or longer. Very friday

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

*From the NES, SNES, N64, Mega Drive and TubroGraphics

dtweek
13-12-2006, 22:04
Right going to start daving my pennies then. Think I'll wait till after Chrimbo as I think it's going to be a war zone getting one before then. And I'm sure there'll be some new package or other out for end of Jan when I get paid again :)

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

I did of course mean saving my pennies!! D'OH!

Damien
14-12-2006, 00:49
Zelda is Excellent. I think it may be the best since 'A Link to the Past'. That said I am unlikely to ever find a game I liked better than A link to the past. Which was so amazing when I first played it.

You do need to be roughly in front of your TV and facing it. This may not be a problem depending on how you usual play. Obviously the Wii is new so we are not sure about games.

Zelda shows that the controls work fine with longer games, in fact its less strain on the hands. But I would think about getting a 360 as well. Just because you will get different games on it.

Gareth
14-12-2006, 01:26
Also, the Virtual Console back catalogue on the Wii isn't just for old Nintendo games, you can also get some Sega Megadrive and NEC PC Engine games too. Such a good idea.