PDA

View Full Version : Annoying text messages to Landline

timewarrior2001
06-12-2006, 20:59
For the last few weeks I have been innundated with text messages.

My phone is constantly ringing and telling me I have a text message. What is really ****ing me off is that I am ex directory and all my mates have my mobile number.

Is this a legit feature? if so why we have not asked for it, can I stop this sort of thing.....we have anonymous caller rejection which is pants cos is you re-dial it connects (i've tried it from work) I am a member of the telephone preference service and rarely give our landline number out.

Paul K
06-12-2006, 21:04
Do you know who is sending the messages? You can't really stop them occuring as text to speach on a landline is now in use by BT etc as a newish "feature". You could call NTL and ask why all of a sudden you are getting plagued by them but personally I would look at finding out who is sending them first.

Toto
06-12-2006, 21:05
Your biggest problem with the telephone preference service is that it only covers cold calling companies in the UK, so outside UK mainland your phone, any of ours is fair game.

I am part of that scheme too, but this does not prevent India from calling me from time to time.

Paul K
06-12-2006, 21:09
Have you called NTL as it may be a problem on the system, also have you picked up the message and is it a different message each time it happens?

SnoopZ
06-12-2006, 21:36
Doesn't the message keep repeating itself unless you do something on the phone like press 3 to delete or something? I had a similar problem a while back.

timewarrior2001
06-12-2006, 21:51
well put it this way I have had 12 of them today, each time I deleted.

I'm seriously gonna ram the phone up somones ass if it doesnt stop lol

Marge
06-12-2006, 21:55
not sure if any of this is of help (from the Telephone Preference Website)

Recorded messages - your permission is needed!

If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing voice recorded messages down your telephone line, and you have not given prior consent to receive such messages, you can ask the marketer to stop sending these.

They are legally obliged to act upon your request.

However if you are still receiving such calls (or it is not possible to ask the company to stop sending these types of messages) you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). They are the government body responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Please note complaints about text messages and automated voice recordings are covered by new regulations overseen by the ICO. For more information please see their website www.ico.gov.uk or phone helpline on 01625 545745

Peter Litler
07-12-2006, 10:55
You can easily prevent BT Voicetexts from being sent to your home phone, by calling the automated BT Text Options Line on 0800 587 5252.
This number is also provided at the end of every BT Voicetext.

fudge
07-12-2006, 14:02
I had this the other week . phone rang , when i picked it up a voice stated a text message had been sent and it asked me to press a button to listen , when i did i got a trumpet playing and somebody was speaking nonsance and it told me to pass this on to 3 other people and i would get good luck. ( to which i just deleted it ) It did give a number of who sent it , but i did not know it . and i wouldent phone it back in case it was one of those lines you hear of charging you the earth.

Willc0
08-12-2006, 11:28
You can easily prevent BT Voicetexts from being sent to your home phone, by calling the automated BT Text Options Line on 0800 587 5252.
This number is also provided at the end of every BT Voicetext.

Thanks for that...
Just rang it... Option 1, then Option 5 disables all texts from BT.

lauzjp
09-12-2006, 04:46
the texts are now being read by Tom Baker though - it is so funny! Make sure if you do text a landline to begin your message with 'hello. I am the doctor.' (http://www.textaid.bt.com/index.html) (link) ;)

SnoopZ
09-12-2006, 13:55
the texts are now being read by Tom Baker though - it is so funny! Make sure if you do text a landline to begin your message with 'hello. I am the doctor.' (http://www.textaid.bt.com/index.html) (link) ;)

:D