PDA

View Full Version : Starview digital box

Tetchy
29-11-2006, 22:05
Ive seen this starview box on ebay and wondered what it was about, Is it basically the same as an illegal digital box ie 1 thats been chipped?
It says you install some software that comes with it, plug it in and then search for channels, so basically its saying you can just buy this thing, plug it in and get all the channels? But is doesnt have a card so wouldnt ntl or telewest just be able detect them and turn them odd? Or can they be turned off? Im not interested in buying 1 because I dont agree with stealing be it from ntl or anywhere but Ive never heard of this starview box and just wondered about it.

Lord Nikon
30-11-2006, 01:26
First and foremost yes they are illegal to connect to the NTL or Telewest Cable infrastructure, to use one as such is theft of services.

However, since it is not illegal to buy, sell, or own one, and they have other LEGAL uses as well, I'll explain a little about them.

It's effectively a remote controlled linux based media center system. It can play media files such as movies etc over a network from the other machines you have, you can install stuff like VNC on it to control PCs etc, it's a networked MP3 player.

Being linux based it's incredibly stable, and you can do a lot with it if you know linux.

melaldo
07-11-2007, 16:50
Hi I hope you can help me

how do i get rid of dollar signs on some programmes

DJSILK
04-01-2008, 16:42
How Do You Access The Secret Menu? I Have Been Told To Press 1570 Once The Installation Banner Appears, But I Have Tried And This Is Not Working. I Need To Access Emu Whatever That Is...how Do I Do This? Thanks All

Derek
04-01-2008, 16:47
As the primary use for these boxes is to obtain services without paying for them discussion of how to access menus, use and obtain them isn't permitted on Cableforum.

Thread closed