PDA

View Full Version : The nintendo wii media and information thread!

kronas
11-11-2006, 23:49
i thought i would start a thread off posting information about the wii and any pictures or videos that are relavent!

this link shows the opening of packaging and better screenshots of the system

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/10/wii-hands-on-unboxing/

below are the four gamecube ports, and two memory card slots, thats for the previous gen games

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/11/14.jpg

watch the 11/09/06 edition of 'on the spot' where you can see the wii and a small selection of games including the ever impressive zelda series, its hilarious to see the yanks have trouble with that particular game :p:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/features/onthespot/index.php?tag=topslot;action;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

20 mins of wii here too:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/11/wii-setup-and-interface-walkthrough-video/

Damien
11-11-2006, 23:53
I am looking forward to Wii Day :D

popper
12-11-2006, 00:16
the spec isnt very good though is it?.

also didnt the PS3 go on sale yesturday, weres the reports of that and how does its OS look ?.

Damien
12-11-2006, 00:25
With the Wii the specs do not really matter. The control is pretty different to start with let alone the Nintendo Games. No one will be playing Wii for the graphics, its the control and games.

Tezcatlipoca
12-11-2006, 00:39
also didnt the PS3 go on sale yesturday

In Japan....for far far less money than it'll cost when it eventually gets released over here next Spring...

kronas
14-11-2006, 13:00
sonic solutions has announced it will be providing:

"high-quality DVD movie viewing to a future version" of the Wii.

nintendo has confirmed this despite the current configuration to be launched not having DVD playback

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6161611.html

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

classic games update:

GameCube pads can also be used to play any NES, SNES and N64 titles downloaded from Wii's Virtual Console, although N64 games will not feature rumble capability

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2006111412916484076&releaseId=2006022811153671099

Damien
14-11-2006, 13:34
sonic solutions has announced it will be providing:

nintendo has confirmed this despite the current configuration to be launched not having DVD playback

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6161611.html

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

classic games update:

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/wii/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2006111412916484076&releaseId=2006022811153671099

I guess GC control is closer to the N64 one than the classic control made for the wii

Halcyon
14-11-2006, 21:34
Nintendo never try to go for most powerful console. They like to try something different and original that will be fun, and that will not cost people too much money.
I personally can't wait to have a go on one.

kronas
14-11-2006, 23:48
the controller for the wii times out after around 5-10 minutes of inactivity.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/the-wii-remotes-timeout-screen-214211.php

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

video of the wii starting up for the very first time straight out of the box

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/nintendo-wii-first-startup--surprise-214059.php

Gareth
28-11-2006, 20:12
Just read the review of Call of Duty 3, and saw that there's no multiplayer mode on the Wii. What a disappointment!

If anyone's interested, they've got a video of CoD3 in the ONM's Video Vault (www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/videovault/) [officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]. The password for Dec is ILoveWii ;)

robtufts
29-11-2006, 21:39
No multiplayer?! That's very disappointing, may re-think about getting cod3 on launch now and get something else.

punky
29-11-2006, 22:18
Cheers for that Gareth.

No multiplayer, very dissappointing. Probably wouldn't stop me buying a Wii, ultimately, but quite probably COD3.

Its a shame really, because Far Cry's multiplayer was pants.

Gareth
30-11-2006, 12:58
Yeah, not gonna put me off having a Wii either :D

...gonna get something else other than CoD3, but not sure what yet. Red Steel looks OK, so might get that instead.

SOSAGES
30-11-2006, 16:21
*waiting for someone sneaky to hax0r the wii / ps3 / xbox360 in a fun and useful way before he spends money*

^^

punky
30-11-2006, 17:04
Shouldn't have to wait long... Already all 3 have a couple of Linux projects in the offering.

NEONKNIGHT
30-11-2006, 17:47
Nice to see Ninty adopting the xbox360's large brick of a power supply. Envy the people who will be playing Zelda, you lucky people! I want one!

robtufts
30-11-2006, 18:04
Well you say that but the wii is tiiiny, it's only about the size of 3 dvd cases!

1 week to go wooooooooooooo (or should that be wiiiiiiiiiiiiii?)

NEONKNIGHT
30-11-2006, 18:54
Well you say that but the wii is tiiiny, it's only about the size of 3 dvd cases!

1 week to go wooooooooooooo (or should that be wiiiiiiiiiiiiii?)

Ok. :) The photos have no sense of scale from what I have seen, so I'll take your word for it.;)

Gareth
30-11-2006, 23:29
Thought this was pretty funny after seeing the posts made by people whose Wiimotes have smashed their TV/window/skull/Ming vase...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/29 :D

Gareth
04-12-2006, 19:58
Just for info, ebuyer.com have a load of Wii (shipment of 90 consoles) arriving on the 12th Dec, for anyone who missed the initial pre-orders. Guaranteed delivery for Xmas ;)

Quick find: 122713

punky
04-12-2006, 22:32
Just played on a Wii... GAME in Oxford St.

Nice :)

Although its a bit hard to tell by playing Wii sports.

Gareth
06-12-2006, 16:15
How was the Wiimote, Punky? Did it feel instinctive and natural to hold/play with, or was it obtrusive and just gimmicky?

punky
06-12-2006, 16:28
How was the Wiimote, Punky? Did it feel instinctive and natural to hold/play with, or was it obtrusive and just gimmicky?

Felt quite comfortable and instinctive. It seemed to interpret my moves fine. I played the tennis and didn't have any problems. You can smash, forehand, backhand, etc. and everything was translated fine.

What seemed cool is watching someone during the baseball, it seems to be able to track your arm moveent in space and translate that to the bat (didn't play that game for myself, so can't say for sure). I.e. the bat would swing back and forth in proportion to how much you swing the wiimote. Like VR. So its not like one movement is equal to one swing... Its all relative.

Wii sports is fairly primative though, unfortunately.

I think the controller could tire you out easily. However, you don't need to wildly swing your arms about... You can just pivot your wrist and that works. However, I think with FPS games, you'll have to keep holding your hand up which will ache very quickly.

I am still gonna wait for COD3 and Far Cry before if I decide I am getting one. For the hand/wrist-acheyness/tiredness as much as the graphics.

Gareth
06-12-2006, 16:56
Yeah, already decided to get one... not so sure about CoD3 as it's only single-player, but not heard anything about Far Cry yet, so maybe that'll make up for it.

I reckon I'm gonna have arms like Arnie after a couple of weeks of playing with my Wii :D

punky
07-12-2006, 03:01
Wiimote working on a PC & Macs :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asY_I8y6C0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ytdW6Ys2A

Damien
07-12-2006, 17:53
Tommorow People!!! My Order from Amazon, with Zelda, is on its way!

Here wii go :D

kronas
08-12-2006, 00:44
anyone been on the midnight razzle, went down for a mate who got one with two games, number 1 on the list helps :D

punky
08-12-2006, 01:27
Apparently not all pre-orders will be filled due to shortages. Nintendo are struggling to fill the pre-orders so they said if you haven't pre-ordered then you definitely won't get one before Xmas. Woolies have said they are struggling to meet all the preorders before Xmas.

NEONKNIGHT
08-12-2006, 08:38
Apparently not all pre-orders will be filled due to shortages. Nintendo are struggling to fill the pre-orders so they said if you haven't pre-ordered then you definitely won't get one before Xmas. Woolies have said they are struggling to meet all the preorders before Xmas.

Microsoft must be rubbing their hands together again then. ;) Wonder how long it will be before some kind of lawsuit is filled against Ninty when people get hurt using the controllers not to mention all the 'expensive' tv's being trashed.LOL! Anyone played Zelda yet? Whats it like?

Damien
08-12-2006, 09:20
I have got my Wii! Just waiting on Zelda as thats being sent normal post. I will tell you all!!

The Wii controller works very very well btw. Even if you off-angle to the tv.

Logan
08-12-2006, 09:52
Picked mine up at about 8:30 this morning :cool:

Bought the console, plus Zelda, plus Wiiplay which comes with a spare controller and an addition Wiichuck thing for £7.99. Total came to £250. :cool:

If funds had stretched, I'd have bought Red Shift too. But were a bit tight this Xmas! Saw the advert on TV for Red Shift and the control mechanism looks cool :D Really want to give that a go.

Two GAME stores in our city center, so what did I do, go to the wrong one lol, had to peg it from one to the other, needed to be back in work before 9am lol. Couldn't remember which I'd pre-ordered from :p:

There were no queues at 8:30, but both stores informed me that people were queueing before 7am and there was a bit of a rush which died down after an hour. Both GAME stores have no more stock for the general public, so unless you pre-ordered, you wouldn't get one from GAME stores in MK. Not sure about other places like Gamestation, Virgin or HMV, but they weren't busy at all - which either means sold out, or nobodies up lol

The only stock if you're lucky, that GAME had came from cancellations. When I went in, there were two guys in the queue before me. First one was lucky enough to get a cancelled one! Second guy was gutted, but the first guy went away on his phone to ask his son or missus lol, the sales assistant was telling the second guy, you can hang around to see whether this guy wants it or not. First guy came back and took it of course :D

Virtually every second lad though, was carrying a GAME bag ROFL 8)

Pity I won't be opening it till Christmas Day :mad:

Jarandco
08-12-2006, 10:26
Be picking mine up later, but not untill this afternoon :( Have to spend the whole evening playing it then! :D I also hope amazon get Zelda to me in the post this morning!

Gareth
08-12-2006, 12:03
Was in Tesco last night around 9pm and was told they had 28 consoles ready, so I joined the queue at #18. Then later on, at about 10:30 I gave my sister a call and she joined at #28. Turns out they actually had 30 consoles... think the guy behind the till was planning on keeping a couple for himself ;)

After seeing the prices they're going for on fleabay, I'm sorely tempted to flog it now and get one in the New Year.

punky
08-12-2006, 12:43
Must admit, I am a bit jealous now... Even though I still don't know if I want one.

There's no hope for me is there? :erm:

kronas
08-12-2006, 14:40
stock alert

amazon is receiving additional units from nintendo, a one hour sale starts 3pm today and finishes 4pm, for those of you who cant get one.

link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Sports/dp/B0007UATDG

also i have been reliably informed that certain gamestations have recieved over 100 units each, tescos has also recieved between 30-50 units per store

Damien
08-12-2006, 16:43
So far so good. The control is already 2nd nature and Is so useful for using the menus and such on the Wii.

Virtal Console is great as well, but i think europe is missing a few games

NEONKNIGHT
08-12-2006, 19:02
Must admit, I am a bit jealous now... Even though I still don't know if I want one.

There's no hope for me is there? :erm:

None! :D

Downloads
08-12-2006, 19:07
Got mine too and was offered £50 on top of my purchase price to give it up immediately. Told them where to go of course.

People were getting arsey at not being given one without pre-ordering, muppets.

Jarandco
08-12-2006, 21:01
Got mine! Its great fun!

Gareth
08-12-2006, 22:07
Got mine... wrapped-up and hidden away till the 25th

kronas
09-12-2006, 00:12
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Nintendo-Wii-Console-SPORTS-ZELDA-CALL-OF-DUTY-3_W0QQitemZ330059548362QQihZ014QQcategoryZ75555QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Strzelecki
09-12-2006, 00:22
Well I am slighly peeved. Pre-ordered mine from Play ages ago, called them twice in the last month to update the card details and they assured me both times I would get one. Of course they let preorders go way over their quota and one didn't get dispatched to me yesterday, no email, no explaination. Some people did get an email saying they wouldn't get theirs back in Novemeber. Just to rub it in they sent me the Monkey Ball part of my order, for what!?:mad:

NEONKNIGHT
09-12-2006, 10:06
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UK-Nintendo-Wii-Console-SPORTS-ZELDA-CALL-OF-DUTY-3_W0QQitemZ330059548362QQihZ014QQcategoryZ75555QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A winning bid of £735 :Yikes: This time next year they won't be able to give 'em away....:D

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

A nice un-biased report here from the BBC:-

Nintendo says it wants to revolutionise gaming with its Wii console. Gamers can now control the action with a motion sensitive remote control, called the Wiimote - but does the novelty wear off quickly?

Included with every Nintendo Wii is a copy of Wii Sports, comprising five different sporting activities - tennis, baseball, bowling, boxing and golf.

In an age of high-definition gaming with photo-realistic character models and intricately-realised buildings and models, it is a real throwback to put a Wii disk into the machine and see the cute, colourful graphics with crudely drawn figures and decidedly retro look to the interface.

The Wii is certainly no visual powerhouse and the limitations of the images are shown up even further when played on a HD television.

But for the vast majority of gamers with standard definition TVs, the Wii's limitations graphically can be overlooked if the games themselves are fun and involving.

The different sports are a mixed bag of entertainment - all are fun in their own way but some are clearly more involving than others.

Gone are the days when you would have to learn a series of complex button combinations to pull off that sliced volley, home run or chip shot; instead the Wiimote can be used as a virtual bat or boxing glove.

Gamers are advised to fasten the safety strap to their wrist and it is advice worth following - during hectic sessions the Wiimote can easily slip out of your hand.

And it is worth making sure you have plenty of room in which to play: my wife and I literally came to blows when boxing and I managed to swipe a lamp shade during one frenetic tennis match.

WII SPORTS

Format: Nintendo Wii
Graphics: 6
Sound: 7
Gameplay: 8
Enduring appeal: 6
Overall: 7

The sport games are more mini-games than fully-featured titles. There is a disappointingly limited range of options for each sport - just one course for golf, no variation in the bowling or baseball games and only a few rounds of action in the boxing.

The success of the games stands and falls on the ability to truly control the on-screen action with the Wiimote and in this regard the Wii is a mixed success.

There is a learning curve with all new games and control systems but I had the distinct impression that often the action on the screen was only loosely connected to how I used the controller.

For a game bundled with the console, Wii Sports does a great job of introducing people to the concept of using the new controller without ever really pushing the envelope.

Certainly it will prove to be an entertaining party game - and it has the distinction of being the first videogame I have ever managed to persuade my wife to play.

She was impressed with the simplicity of the controller but often frustrated that a swipe of the remote did not always translate into a stunning backhand or long, straight drive.

But she was playing games. And if Nintendo can persuade my wife to play games then winning over the world's non-gamers should be straightforward.

Link:-http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6161261.stm?dynamic_vote=ON#vote_wii

:angel:

Gareth
09-12-2006, 23:23
This is a good idea...

http://wiinintendo.net/2006/12/05/wii-sports-experiment/

Seriously, I can see how the Wii could help in combating teenage obesity. Teenagers don't like doing exercise, but playing video games is always popular, so combining the two means it's a win-win situation :)

Damien
10-12-2006, 16:03
You do feel like your exercising when playing wii sports anyway

Halcyon
10-12-2006, 23:00
Just been playing Wii sports on my friends Wii.
Lot's of fun. Very nicely designed console too :tu:

zing_deleted
10-12-2006, 23:02
Im actually going to go for this when there available next year and purely for Red Steel.Being a FPS enthusiast this game has to be my dream come true maybe just maybe it could lure me away from my pc ;)

Halcyon
10-12-2006, 23:09
I had a go on Red Steel. It seems to be like a mix between James Bond, Call Of Duty, and Shenmue. Look's good.

Logan
11-12-2006, 09:04
Anyone actually played Red Steel? Because so far, all online reviews of it have panned it good and proper. Which is sad, because I traded in some PSP and DS titles to go and get this, but because of the ****e reviews picked up Rayman instead lol

Anyone else waking up this morning with the most aches and pains in your arms and legs!? I feel like I ran a marathon or swam the channel lol

Damien
11-12-2006, 09:22
Anyone actually played Red Steel? Because so far, all online reviews of it have panned it good and proper. Which is sad, because I traded in some PSP and DS titles to go and get this, but because of the ****e reviews picked up Rayman instead lol

Anyone else waking up this morning with the most aches and pains in your arms and legs!? I feel like I ran a marathon or swam the channel lol

a bit :disturbd:

Gareth
11-12-2006, 15:06
Yeah, Red Steel isn't your fast-paced FPS a la CoD, MoH, FEAR, etc... I'm waiting for the reviews of Far Cry, as I think this should be what I was hoping Red Steel was gonna be.

ps - check out this auction... I'm astounded that something that cost only £265 on Friday has gone for £700!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-2-Contollers-2-Nunchuks-Zelda-More_W0QQitemZ120062732242QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

punky
11-12-2006, 17:14
Kinda wished I bought one now, especially after reading about Red Steel.

Stand no chance now til well into next year. Nuts.

Logan
11-12-2006, 18:56
Red Steel has been panned by most respected reviewers. Anyone actually own it who could let me know what its really like?

ikthius
14-12-2006, 10:52
OK people, I have not bought any games or consoles since the Nintendo 64.

So I was wondering, were is the best place to buy a new Nintendo Wii, well at least order one and get it sent when they have some.

not ebay, i want a brand new, and cost the RRP

ik

Damien
14-12-2006, 10:58
Game, or keep checking Amazon.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Oh you HAVE to get Zelda. So So good! :)

ikthius
14-12-2006, 11:05
Game, or keep checking Amazon.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Oh you HAVE to get Zelda. So So good! :)

thats why I want one, I got the 64 for zelda, ocarina of time, it was fab too

ik

zing_deleted
14-12-2006, 11:07
well if Red steel isnt what I hoped guess ill not be leaving my pc afterall :) least you guys have saved me from making an expensive mistake

Logan
14-12-2006, 11:42
I exchanged my initial purchase of Rayman for Red Steel.

I spent a good hour playing Red Steel on the first night. Got to be honest, this isn't a groundbreaking FPS by any stretch of the imagination. However, its not a bad game if you are prepared to take some time to get used to the control mechanism, which, coming from an ex-hardcore PC FPS fanatic, is much more familiar to the faithful mouse and keyboard, then a gamepad ever was/is.

So in terms of graphics it won't blow you away, but if you want to perfectly demonstrate what the Wii has to offer in terms of alternative and unique control mechanics, this is a perfect example of what is to come, and quite frankly, the future is bright for the FPS genre on the Wii.

One more thing I would add. If you were a massive fan of the classic N64 game Goldeneye, and wiled away many a wee hour playing it multiplayer with your mates, then you MUST get Red Steel. The multiplayer aspect is SOOOO reminiscent of Goldeneye you'd sometimes lose yourself wondering whether you'd stepped back in time to those good ol' days! :D Definitely worth it for the multiplayer aspect.

zing_deleted
14-12-2006, 11:56
as im a hardcore fps multiplayer you would you say give this a go then?

Damien
14-12-2006, 11:58
Even so there are likely to be many FPS games on the Wii

Gareth
16-12-2006, 12:08
Zing, I think if you did get one, you and your daughter would have a whale of a time playing games together... TBH, we've bought one more for our son to play on, than for me. It's more of a fun, social interaction thing than a technologically ground-breaking console. Jumping around a room playing Wii Sports on Xmas day with is gonna be a blast. Even my sister and Mum are looking forward to it, and they've never been interested in gaming in the past.

For FPS, however, I'm not sure that there's anything out there yet that would convince you to buy one. Far Cry has apparently turned out to be a very bad port from a version on another console... Ubisoft have been lazy and not re-written it to take advantage of the Wiimote & nunchuk :(

Damien
16-12-2006, 15:45
Zing, I think if you did get one, you and your daughter would have a whale of a time playing games together... TBH, we've bought one more for our son to play on, than for me. It's more of a fun, social interaction thing than a technologically ground-breaking console. Jumping around a room playing Wii Sports on Xmas day with is gonna be a blast. Even my sister and Mum are looking forward to it, and they've never been interested in gaming in the past.

For FPS, however, I'm not sure that there's anything out there yet that would convince you to buy one. Far Cry has apparently turned out to be a very bad port from a version on another console... Ubisoft have been lazy and not re-written it to take advantage of the Wiimote & nunchuk :(

Maybe of Call of Duty. Zelda does show the controls can help the game but not become the focus of the game. In other words, the Wii is capible of deep, involving games instead of just gimmicky ones