PDA

View Full Version : quick question

Graham F
07-11-2006, 09:58
I live in a rented property, if i am to get ntl installed does my landlord need to sign a wayleave form in order for the install to go ahead?

Chris
07-11-2006, 10:11
I think that depends on what your tenancy agreement allows you to do to the property and whether NTL has been installed previously. If there are cables and boxes in situ already there shouldn't be a problem, but if not then I don't think even a wayleave would be sufficient, I think it might be the landlord that would have to sign for the installation and pay for the monthly charge, and then charge it to you as extra on your rent.

Graham F
07-11-2006, 10:22
There are no cables already in the property.

My understanding of it from when i worked at ntl was that I only need the landlord to sign a wayleave form. However when speaking to ntl and booking an install date, i asked 2 different people if i need to get my landlord to sign a wayleave form they both said that as there were no notes on the account to say they needed one then they dont!!!

but i know this is rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!

isnt it?!?! :erm:

Chris
07-11-2006, 10:32
Dunno ... but I don't think it's worth the risk, as it's his property you'll be drilling holes in. At the very least he could use it as a reason to take your deposit for 'repairs'.

Graham F
07-11-2006, 10:47
I know thats why I am banging my head against a wall abt it, the landlord says he is happy to let us have the install, but i want him to sign a form before it goes ahead!! Can any ntl bods help me please as when i ring i am told utter rubbish!?!

sssshhhh
07-11-2006, 10:52
You should get a wayleave form, and cust services should send one out for you. If ntl say 'there are no notes on the account....' then tell them that your landlord has specifically asked for one. It's def worth covering your own back just in case anything did go wrong. Good luck!

Graham F
07-11-2006, 10:55
i tried to get ntl to send me one yesterday, they point blank refused as they said 'you dont need to worry abt that' .

bopdude
07-11-2006, 10:57
i tried to get ntl to send me one yesterday, they point blank refused as they said 'you dont need to worry abt that' .

Just do it, you have a verbal agreement with your landlord, that should be enough.

Graham F
07-11-2006, 10:59
its just the fact that the landlord has nearly 2k of my money, that makes me want to cover my back as i dont want to lose much/any of the money!!

sssshhhh
07-11-2006, 11:09

Thats poor. Hopefully someone will come along on here from NTL and be able to sort one out for you.

bopdude
07-11-2006, 11:17
its just the fact that the landlord has nearly 2k of my money, that makes me want to cover my back as i dont want to lose much/any of the money!!

So if NTL won't send you a form, write something up yourself and get both the landlord and another (witness) too sign it :shrug:

Graham F
07-11-2006, 12:07
i'm hoping that someone from ntl will try and pick it up from here!!

Toto
07-11-2006, 12:51

Yes, with that kind of bond, I'd definately get something signed by your landlord. Also, if at all possible have him there to oversee the installation.

Red Robin
07-11-2006, 14:33
Hi

I have connections in the Wayleave department.... I'm going to ask for the official line with regards to this and post it for you. It might take a day or two to answer because the Wayleave chap is out quite a bit, but I'll see what I can do.... I was trained on this myself (I work in planning) but it's been literally years, and I don't know if the "rules" have changed since then (so I won't give my opinion in case I am totally wrong!!)

Bear with me.....

greencreeper
07-11-2006, 19:10
Humf. Sod the landlord. It'd be a cold day in hell before my landlord would do anything. All in it for the money. Just go ahead with it. If he says anything, mention that you've added value to the property. If that fails, mention "disrepair proceedings" :D

Justy
07-11-2006, 19:56
Hi

I have connections in the Wayleave department.... I'm going to ask for the official line with regards to this and post it for you. It might take a day or two to answer because the Wayleave chap is out quite a bit, but I'll see what I can do.... I was trained on this myself (I work in planning) but it's been literally years, and I don't know if the "rules" have changed since then (so I won't give my opinion in case I am totally wrong!!)

Bear with me.....

My believe on it is.. if the property isn't yours or owned by the council and service hasn't been active at that address before, then you need to get a wayleave form completed... To keep yourself right and to ensure you get your deposit back.

Send me your details via PM and I'll get a form sent out to you!

Hope this helps

Ryan

Graham F
08-11-2006, 12:25
thanks for the offer Justy.

Not that i doubt you, but can a mod confirm that Justy works for ntl please?

TIA

Fingy
08-11-2006, 12:37
If it helps the mods at all I can confirm he does and I saw him in the office about 20 mins ago. :shrug:

Red Robin
08-11-2006, 14:39
To confirm Justys advice, the Wayleave officer said the following in email to me:

"Wayleave definitely required here from the owner/landlord. The only instance it would not be required is if the customer has a very long term lease/tenancy agreement."

Hope that helps a little, and that Justy can sort it for you.

Chris
08-11-2006, 15:27
Kind of begs the question, why have CSRs been insisting this is not required? Looks like we've identified a staff training need here ...