PDA

View Full Version : Lobster 575 *#0^+!> @#~=

floppus
05-11-2006, 15:08
Despite advanced knowledge that this liitle lobby thing was a cheapo bottom of the range handset re-badged by Virgin from the Korean Factor Bellwave... (Not now offered by them as it has been supaceded by a phone that actually works like it should). I decided that for 2 features I would take the plunge and go for one. The 64 mb memory (not large I know) would hold a few mp3 files that should play back ok on the included stereo headset and the camera was certainly a better spec than the one I was using....

Now this feature IS THE MOST IMPORTANT to me as in my job I take quick piccies of damage to goods or premises which I can either send off instantly to HQ or not ...but upload to my computer that evening.

In the handbook there are clear details of how to connect your 575 to a PC using a USB cable.

Have you ever seen rocking horse s***, if you have you might have also seen a Lobster 575 data cable.

The good folk at virgin suggested I might find one on e-bay if I looked hard enough but after some moaning on my part they gave me the names of 3 web based suppliers. Now these 3 different suppliers, I believe, all happen to be the same organisation, this info gleaned from their all too similar websites, and none of them carry the elusive item. However info from one of them said "we used to have it, BUT IT DIDN'T (DIDN@T) WORK".

If anyone out there manages to solve this little issue one way or another please let me know.

AndrewJ
05-11-2006, 17:22
Good luck.

SnoopZ
05-11-2006, 18:33
Buy a bluetooth wireless dongle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/202-5829643-1932633?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dongle&Go.x=0&Go.y=0)? I'm sure it'll be easier in the long run.

[edit]

Scrap the above as it doesn't have bluetooth?

Mick
05-11-2006, 23:09
Nope it doesn't.

AndyCambs
05-11-2006, 23:16
The other option is to buy another phone on the PAYG costs from Virgin....

handyman
05-11-2006, 23:20
Ditch it and get a sony k750i, not only will you get a superior quality camera but its suplied with a usb cable and bluetooth is standard as is infra red.

DocDutch
06-11-2006, 11:54
as per handyman but I would go for the K800i, picture quality is excellent.... the piccy on my desktop has been taken from my K800 so you can see for yourself.
http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34149791&postcount=1271

I think its alot more phone then the lobster then that you got.

Horace
07-11-2006, 15:03
http://www.gsm-technology.com/index.php/en_US,browse,id_gr,416.html

Any use?

kakapo
11-11-2006, 22:13
I spent weeks having pointless discussions with Virgin about this. I bought a cable from a web site recommended by Virgin (I still have the email where they recommended it).

However the phone will not communicate with any variant of MS Windows that I have tried. It is clearly stated in the manual that it does. I think the issue is that Windows has no knowledge of what has been attached to the pc. With USB, a device should 'broadcast' an identification string. Either Windows already knows what about that device type or you install a driver. (That's why you have to install the driver first before connecting a USB devices.)

In the end I gave up with Virgin. They even claimed if I used Google I could find people selling software for the 575. The only software out there is stuff to crack the phone so you an connect to another network!

Having read the UK Trading Standards web site I doubt the legality of what is claimed for this phone. Basically, if you sell something it has to 'do what it says on the tin'. This phone doesn't. Virgin Mobile are simply not telling the truth.

nicke261192
12-11-2006, 19:13
god what do you acspect? its free for christs sake just flog it down the market and get another

floppus
13-11-2006, 14:59
What you are entitled to acspect is what is advertised, offered and confimed by virgin verbally is what you get.... regardless of its price............
On the Virgin description the info STILL promotes the features that CANNOT BE USED.

You tell me if you think this is OK. !

cwazeeangel
14-11-2006, 02:11
well i too have just bought the virgin lobster and also have experienced the same problems aquiring the data cable ... but no thanks to virgin i myself did the appropriate detective work to find not just one but two stockists of the ever illusive data cable .... try going to gsmgods.net or multi_com ... u should find the data cable there as i did.... the data cable and shipping costs all told comes to around £25 or thereabouts .... good luck hope this helped

LSainsbury
15-11-2006, 21:49
god what do you acspect? its free for christs sake just flog it down the market and get another

Errrr - language young man - this is a family forum!

btw - did you mean expect?

btw2 - weren't you looking at this phone for a while - or was that somebody else here?