PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making the switch

ikthius
04-11-2006, 17:52
Hey everyone,

We currently have NTL digital in 2 rooms. loft and living room.
We also have NTL Phone and broadband.

we are thinking of switching to sky, but get the sky+ boxes but keep the Phone and broadband (just now, might switch the bb later)

i have a few queries:
1: how much for both boxes and installation?
2: where is the cheapest to buy the sky boxes from?
3: can we get the interactive sports on the ntl line with sky?

i tried to find these out from sky, the answers i got was:
1: £200 for 2 boxes and installation
2: could not find anything
3: no answer

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ik

TheBlueRaja
04-11-2006, 19:51
Installation is free with Sky+ but you will need to pay £99 pounds for each box so its actually 198 quid.

You can buy second hand sky boxes, but then you would be looking at an installation charge which is 60 quid as your not getting the box's from Sky, i would say Ebay is probably your best bet there.

Have a look here.. (http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/products/equipment/skybox)

You also would be able to get interactive sports etc, in fact all interactive stuff with an NTL line because Sky+ does not need a phone line to work (i have sky+, i have interactive services and its not even connected to a phone), it is however a requirement that the Sky+ box be conected to a phoneline in the contract however, like i said, i dont and have never had any problem.

However, i do belive that if you are using Multiroom like you intend to that Sky will check quite frequently that you are connected via a phoneline.

I dont believe that has to be BT - but im not 100%.

Hope that helps.

BTW, if i does - could i recommend you as i get another box for recommending a friend.... :p:

ikthius
05-11-2006, 10:32
Installation is free with Sky+ but you will need to pay £99 pounds for each box so its actually 198 quid.

You can buy second hand sky boxes, but then you would be looking at an installation charge which is 60 quid as your not getting the box's from Sky, i would say Ebay is probably your best bet there.

Have a look here.. (http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/products/equipment/skybox)

You also would be able to get interactive sports etc, in fact all interactive stuff with an NTL line because Sky+ does not need a phone line to work (i have sky+, i have interactive services and its not even connected to a phone), it is however a requirement that the Sky+ box be conected to a phoneline in the contract however, like i said, i dont and have never had any problem.

However, i do belive that if you are using Multiroom like you intend to that Sky will check quite frequently that you are connected via a phoneline.

I dont believe that has to be BT - but im not 100%.

Hope that helps.

BTW, if i does - could i recommend you as i get another box for recommending a friend.... :p:

you dont dude, cause you got a box, you would get £50 of M&S vouchers i was told.
But sorry dude, its my brother that is trying to make my mum switch over, so he and his wife would want the reccomend a friend thing, but for your troubles mate, you can have a greeny, for you great info, and your the only one who replied, hehe

ik

Central
05-11-2006, 17:45
Sky will work fine with any landline number aslong as it has outgoing calls

Lord Nikon
05-11-2006, 18:42
one option for you is to get the NTL dropped to free-to-air instead of just cancelling the service