PDA

View Full Version : Telephone distribution via CAT5e - a problem...

Andy26
30-10-2006, 19:45
Hi all..

I'm trying to distribute my ntl telepone via CAT-5e to various points around the house. My electrician has used some sort of tv distribution box to split the phone line 4 ways.

The phones at the end of the 4 CAT-5e points all ring and work.

Only problem is that my voice is being amplified back through the earpiece too.. which is odd, and quite annoying. Anyone know why this might be happening? What am I doing wrong??

Many thanks

matty125
30-10-2006, 19:49
welcome to cable forum sorry i cant answer that

SMHarman
30-10-2006, 20:33
Dunno why you would need any form of amplification. I assume you are trying to distribute one master socket to many places in the house. There is no switchboard type arrangement.

You have also not explained how you have set up your CAT5. Do you have a patch panel?

The way I have done this before is you get a 3 way phone splitter and plug it into the master socket, plug a 2 way into that, you now have space for 4 BT type plugs into your master socket.

Then get a custom made cable that takes the BT wires and sends them to the unused pairs in the CAT5. So the cable has a BT plug at one end and a CAT5 plug at the other end.

Then at the phone end get a CAT5 > RJ11 slave socket widget. PUt that into the cat 5 plug and plug your phone in. Voila.

www.netshop.co.uk supplied the custom cables at 3.66 ea + vat and these
http://www.netshop.co.uk/searchresults.aspx?Search=VA258-6
The phone BT631A to three of these can be bought somewhere there or from any Dioxins.

They made my cables up in June 2005. The original cable ref was ZBQTARJSBTP (though I did need to send them back and get them remade).