PDA

View Full Version : Voip/Fake Landline number?

dragon
24-10-2006, 15:31
Can anyone reccomend a VOIP provider that allows call forwarding to PSTN/Mobile number? Ideally id like the calls to goto my pc if im online and to my mobile if im not.

Sipgate offer numbers in my area code but i wasnt sure if they can do call forwarding obvisouly i dont expect to get the call fowarded to my mobile for free, i understand id have to pay for the forwarded part of the call, but most VOIP providers mobile rates aren't bad.

Also if i use a VOIP incoming number as my contact number can these companies (such as dabs.etc) tell its not a real landline? (although i orderd with play.com and gave them my mobile number even though it said LANDLINE numbers only) and the order still got proccessd ok (but then my creditcard company has my mobile number as one of my contact numbers)

bmxbandit
24-10-2006, 15:51
skype (www.skype.com) does that - forwards calls if you're offline, if you want it to. i think mobile calls are ~14p/min, but check that...

afaik skype buy blocks of numbers, and they're ordinary geographic ones, e.g. starting with 0161. although a company could check for these blocks, i think it's highly unlikely they would.

dragon
24-10-2006, 16:39
Does anyone know if sipgate do it? as they actally have numbers in my area code?

which means for friends/family it would cost them a local call instead of a national one.

NoKnowledge
24-10-2006, 17:05
You can do a simple test to see whether and how sipgate functions.

This test takes approximately 20 minutes, and your requirements are:
- a broadband Internet connection via DSL, cable or dedicated line.
- a PC with Windows or Linux operating system, or an Apple Macintosh.

Step 1: Softphone
Sipgate provides a free software-based telephone called X-lite that can run on your computer. To use this “softphone”, you will need a microphone, headset and/or speakers. You may download the softphone at http://www.xten.com

Once it is downloaded, run the installation program.

Step 2: Sipgate Account
To open a sipgate account, click on the register tab and select a city where you would like your phone number to be located.

If you see no 01 or 02 number selection (i.e. only a 845 or 0870 number choice), you are either located outside of the UK, or your IP address is a non-British one (from AOL for example).

Unfortunately, if you require a geographic number (01 or 02), you must do so from a computer with a British IP address.
Also please note that 0870 and 845 numbers are inaccessible from outside of the UK.

Decide which number best meets your requirements. If you receive many calls from London for example, you may select a UK number, even if you live part of the year in Hong Kong! As mentioned above, the initial registration must be from a UK IP address.

Now click on telephone number, under which your sipgate telephone will be reachable.

Enter your personal login information (username and password). Now enter your personal information such as your email address. After you have given the correct information, we will send an e-mail to the email address you indicated. This email contains a confirmation link that you must click on to activate your account.

Step 3: Configuration
Congratulations! Your account is activated now and you have a SIP call number! Under "My Data" on sipgate.co.uk you will find all configuration-relevant data for your sipgate connection. You will also find an illustrated configuration of X-Lite for sipgate under: http://www.sipgate.co.uk/setup/xlite

Further help to configure the X-Lite for sipgate can be found in our Help-Centre.

Step 4: First Test
After everything is correctly installed and configured, look under “Start”, “Status”, “Telephone on-line: yes” appears. After approximately 15 minutes the automatic registration on the SIP proxy servers is final, the X-Lite will now function!

Test both incoming and outgoing calls on your sipgate connection, in order to check the full functionality of your new sipgate account.

Test your sipgate connection first by dialling 10000.

You should hear a voice that says "Welcome to sipgate. Your phone is now correctly configured. You may..." (giving information about adding credit to your account and who you can now call).

For another test, call toll free numbers
(e.g. the BT-service for private customers at 0800-433-311)
or free calls to other sipgate members.

Calls that would normally incur charges, such as to fixed-line telephones, can only be made when your sipgate account has a positive credit balance.

Step 5: Everything functioning?
You should be able to decide at this point if sipgate is right for you. Play with the account and decide for yourself.

dragon
24-10-2006, 20:29
doesnt look like sipgate do call forwarding :td:

I think ill use skype call forwarding and then possibly get a skype in number when i come across a company that refuses to accept my mobile number as the contact no.

anduin
26-10-2006, 18:59
Vonage do it :)

Matthew
26-10-2006, 19:38
Yeah another one for Vonage, I've used the feature several times.