PDA

View Full Version : Hanging House Moves - 5 weeks?

peter123reading
17-10-2006, 17:06
I recently moved house after several years of fairly reliable broadband and phone service from NTL. After 5 weeks i still have no service. I have taken 4 days off work to wait in for people. Finally after everything was connected i was told that I am a hanging house move. This apparently affects 1 in 40 people and takes 7-10 working days to fix. At least i was left with a phone line whilst I waited for broadband but today that finally dissapeared. Can we have a competition to see who is the worst treated loyal customer?

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2006, 17:19
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I've split this post from other general threads as you have some specific problems that looks like it needs a bit of troubleshooting rather than getting muddled in with others.

Which services should you have, phone, broadband and TV, or just some of them. When exactly should they have been installed? Have ntl actually turned up on the appointed days when you have waited for them?

Have ntl given you any indication of a resolution time, or if it will be sorted, beareing in mind the 7-10 days suggestion that was presumably made a few weeks ago.

peter123reading
18-10-2006, 11:34
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I've split this post from other general threads as you have some specific problems that looks like it needs a bit of troubleshooting rather than getting muddled in with others.

Which services should you have, phone, broadband and TV, or just some of them. When exactly should they have been installed? Have ntl actually turned up on the appointed days when you have waited for them?

Have ntl given you any indication of a resolution time, or if it will be sorted, beareing in mind the 7-10 days suggestion that was presumably made a few weeks ago.

I am supposed to have a phone-line, broadband, and digital TV. The installation crew arrived on the first day and sid they could not install without an installation crew putting in a box. OK seemed fair enough. I took another day off and the second installation crew said the same. On the third day the construction crew did their work and then the installation crew arrived. They did not armor the cables and just left 25 feet of cable on the veg of my garden. They installed the kit. When I checked I had some digital service (minus channel 5) phone and no broadband. Two days later I took another day off for a technician to come around. He said I had been connected to a broken "pot" and he had connected me to a working "pot". I had broadband. He gave me a new modem and said I needed to register the new MAC address. During this process it was determined that I was a "hanging house move". I had broadband for all of 5 minutes before it went. Still I had the phone. When I phoned I was told variable things. One person told me it would take 7-10 days to correct the fault, another told me it would take 1-3, another told me this was normal service and not NTLs fault. Yesterday the phone line went. I am now without phone, broadband and TV. When I called yesterday I was told someone would call me back when I got home to take down my Mac address, etc. i raced home and had no call. Today I had somebody telling me again that it was unacceptable service and she promised to call me back in 30 minutes....no call.

Some years ago there was a BT phone in my house and BT can make the phone live in 5 hours and can get me broadband in 5 days. I am keeping the BBC appraised of this as to be honest, I can't imagine how anybody could be worse treated. The fact that I am trying to give NTL my custom and they just squander my efforts. I am off on a business trip shortly and for a variety of reasons I MUST have a working reliable landline.

I am giving NTL till tomorrow am to deliver and then I am cancelling the phone at least and maybe everything.

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2006, 14:02
Peter, you've been given the run around and that is poor. The CF team do have a means of escalating serious problems with ntl. It does get results.

If you want me to help, please Private Message me some information (click on my name on the left margin). I'll need your account number, name, address including postcode, and your daytime phone number or email. The details will be passed to our contact, an only held by CF for as long as it takes to see you are geting a resolution.

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2006, 17:43
Ok, I've received some stuff from Peter, and have forwarded it to our contact.

Actually the problems posted in this thread appear to be just a small part of the overall mess that ntl have made on this house move, according to the OPs PMs. All I can say at this stage is ntl continue to astound me. There must be an internal competition to see what new ways someone can use to tie themselves in knots.

Peter do let us know how you get on!