PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I get broadband

gorky5
10-10-2006, 14:49
My entire street can all have broadband, apart from our two (small) blocks of flats (only 2 storeys high). If you stand on the pavement you can see where the tarmac has been relaid to cover the cable, including crossing our driveway, the only thing missing is the little plastic triangles that everyother property has, an you can see where the pavemnet was dug up going away from the cable and up to our walls...just nothing at the end of it. There is a Big metal CATV access panel directly opposite my bedroom window. But our postcode says we can't have so according to the sales team we can't have it. They reckoned they were sending someone out to do a survey but i never heard anything back.

is it a complete bust, or is there someway i can get them to provide me with cable...if it is that the cable wasn't laid then it seems pretty ridiculous that the pavement was dug up, and nothing laid underneath....it would only have been a matter of 2 feet of cable if that.

MovedGoalPosts
10-10-2006, 14:58
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Unfortunately even if the street is cabled, sometimes there are legalities that prevent certain properties being serviced. Flats are notorious for this.

In simple terms you have a lease, of only part of the building and grounds. Others can control the common part, structure and grounds. They need to give permission for the cables to be run through those areas before they can reach your flat. For the cable co's that can be too much aggravation to sort out.

To get anywhere you will need to contact ntl:telewest again, and ask them what happened to the site survey.

Saaf_laandon_mo
10-10-2006, 15:00
Get a wireless adaptor and scan for unprotected connections in your street. I'm sure you'll find one ;)

gorky5
10-10-2006, 15:02
Well given that they are all privatley owned, i think i could get permission pretty easily. They should have at least said if taht was the reason, and given me chance to sort it out. Are there any other numbers i can try as the sales team don't seem to want to stray too far away from the postcode checker.