PDA

View Full Version : Recent Self Install faulty?or Fault elsewhere?

Ljt
03-10-2006, 12:55
Hello.

Recently Switched from Sky/bt to a telewest package 10mb/tv pack the cables were already in place so just plugged it in myself.Net is working ok but the cable tv isnt.

Im getting a colour fault and jumpy static burst on all channels frequency varies almost as if signal is interupted for fraction of second distorting the picture.Changed the TV.. and reconnected the cables in the house twice ill be phoning up for help shortly just wondered if any folks here had any clues?.

THx.

handyman
03-10-2006, 13:01
I'm not sure how you 'self installed'?

All ntl:telewest installation are done by a member of their install team.

Ljt
03-10-2006, 13:06
Maybe the tittle is incorrect? the TV and Modem equipment arrived the cabling and boxes already present in the house i pluged in the equipment and got it activated? :)

Modem Functioning perfectly..Cable TV however has the fault i mentioned above and wondered if any wiser person here knew a little more on cause of the problem before i go through the call centre route.

Paul K
03-10-2006, 13:24
Erm you need to get them to send the engineer out to install the TV setup properly since an engineer was unable to fit it during the initial visit.

gkhewitt
03-10-2006, 23:11
I'm not sure how you 'self installed'?

All ntl:telewest installation are done by a member of their install team.

Telewest do offer a 'Self-install' option for those that already have TW cabling installed in their premises. You get delivery of a box with equipment in which you then plug in yourself, following the guides you are also sent. If you have trouble you can then call out an engineer.

However, following my recent troubles, I would recommend that anyone considering this opt for a manned engineer install just in case anything does go wrong - it could be up to a month before they sort it!

Rapid Dr3am
26-10-2006, 12:51
QuickStarts do happen, it's more hassle than it's worth. People call my department for queries and we can't touch them. Just because you don't know what you're doing doesn't make it a fault. Normally people are like "but the qs support line takes ages to hold can't you just activate it?" simple answer, no. I don't have the control rights in icoms to do that.

jcw00
05-11-2006, 15:00
Hello.

Recently Switched from Sky/bt to a telewest package 10mb/tv pack the cables were already in place so just plugged it in myself.Net is working ok but the cable tv isnt.

Im getting a colour fault and jumpy static burst on all channels frequency varies almost as if signal is interupted for fraction of second distorting the picture.Changed the TV.. and reconnected the cables in the house twice ill be phoning up for help shortly just wondered if any folks here had any clues?.

THx.

Look at how the cables are run within your home. Look for any splitters that don't have cables plugged into them. Each splitter should have a cable and a device (i.e. set to box or modem) plugged in.

For example: The main cable from the box outside your home could be split into two, one cable goes to your modem. The second cable is then split again in your property, one cable goes to your set to box, and the second connection could either have no cable or a cable not connected to anything. Replace this splitter with a barrel connector, as the splitter reduces the signal strength.

If this doesn't apply, then an engineer would need complete a visit, and possibly increase the signal strength from the cabinet.

I hope this helps.

info4u
12-11-2006, 23:36
Also check you are not connecting thru your VCR.
Some (not all) programmes are encrypted for copy protection.
If your watching thru your CSR your VCR isnt able to de-encrypted the copy protection and therefore you see colour alteractions, rolling images etc.

This is normally also why technicians now install directly to the TV and not thru the VIdeo cassette Player. also because the customer pays to watch the channels not making them recordable.

As a colleague mentioned with Self Install it is hard for customer care to help since we are provided strict advise that customers must call the help line no on their welcome letter if they experiance problems.

Self install is available to any new customer or existing customer taking on a service and the property has had a previous installation then all that is required is for the pack to be sent with the equipment and the connections and some extending wiring (incase the layout of the property is dirrent to how the previous tennant had it)

Personal prefference thing
I would state to call the help line, if your not getting anywhere you do reserve the right for a free technician install.