PDA

View Full Version : Strange Calls From Orange centers

smucks
30-09-2006, 21:19
I wounder if anyone else is getting these calls ?

The caller seems to start with you have or are going to get a free mobile phone and then they say they are from a orange call center.

After asking could I have your name they always say it in a manor where by you can not understand what they are saying and after asking them to spell their name they then go back to you have or are going to get a free orange phone totally ignoring your request for them to spell their name.

When you then point out to them that ok if you are from a orange call center then you have no problems in telling me your name and spelling so I can write it down the phone goes dead cut off.

Now I would like to know for the simple reason I would like to try and have these calls stamped out due to I am registered to prevent my number appearing in companies spam lists, which I know you never stop all of them but a few have been reported and dealt with so a few more would not go a miss reporting wise that is.

The only problem is that they leave no number and only mention they are from a orange call center and until I give them some details which I would not recommend anyone doing full stop I am at a blank.

If anyone has any information I would like to know to try and get these stopped as I have had about 9 in the last 4 days.

Thank you for your time.

matty125
30-09-2006, 21:22
yes the exact same as what i get i dont understand realy how stupid they make them self look but at least ur not the only one lol

Cobbydaler
30-09-2006, 21:37
<snip>
I wounder if anyone else is getting these calls ?

The caller seems to start with you have or are going to get a free mobile phone and then they say they are from a orange call center.

Yes, I get these, and I don't give out my cable phone number to anyone but family.

They are always from someone claiming to be from an Orange call centre who has an accent from the Subcontinent...

Couldn't be that ntl: are selling on our numbers could it? :disturbd:

Nedkelly
30-09-2006, 21:39
:) I get them on my orange work phone and land line as well spoke to orange and they knew nothing about it

smucks
30-09-2006, 22:16
Well looks like I am not alone then,

Matty125 they seem to sound a little nervious after I ask them for there full name and when I persist they well hang up shame really I would so love to here more from them and get to know more about them LOL.

Cobbydaler my number is X-Directory and they have to leave their number unless they use a certain code or at least it used to be but after a few companies got hold of it and the spam started I signed up to have it all stopped. The trouble is when just one company get hold of it and it then gets passed around it is hard to have this stopped it took about 5 months.

But under the new guide lines these companies should identify themselfs and leave their number (maybe wrong on the number) if they do not then they are Libel to heavy fines trouble is then trying to identify them.

I had a cetain company beginning V and in the end I was in contact with someone at ofcom and eventually in one of the calls I managed to obtain some very nice details and then I warned them that they are now going to reported and I have had not one call or letter since then on and the matter resolved.

Nedkelly sounds like spam city at your place oh my.

The only thing I can say is have a look here as Ofcom is down at the moment.
I registered and when I get details of who has called I just then report it.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

If the link is not allowed on this site then please remove it and I am sorry for putting up.

Marge
30-09-2006, 22:35
not sure why this is in the ntl forum though :confused:

smucks
30-09-2006, 22:45

I have NTL phone at present and was woundering if anyone else was getting the same calls thats all, if my post is in the wrong section I am sorry I am new here.

Cobbydaler
30-09-2006, 22:49

Well, I for one, never got them until I got an ntl: phone number...

And they started within a fortnight of me getting it...

hatedbythemail
30-09-2006, 22:52
i was being silent called by phones unlimited who are, apparently, an orange reseller. i raised cane and it still continued. so i called again and said i would get their directors details from companies house and start calling them. not a dicky bird since.

it always seems to be orange resellers and i'm with orange so not sure if this an ntl issue.

Cobbydaler
30-09-2006, 22:57
i was being silent called by phones unlimited who are, apparently, an orange reseller. i raised cane and it still continued. so i called again and said i would get their directors details from companies house and start calling them. not a dicky bird since.

it always seems to be orange resellers and i'm with orange so not sure if this an ntl issue.

Well, I'm with Vodafone & have never been with Orange...

Nobody but family members know my ntl number as I mainly use my mobile, I don't use it for contact purposes for internet transactions. So how has this company got it?

Cobbydaler
30-09-2006, 23:19
The suspicion is that ntl are providing their customers numbers to this (supposedly) Orange call centre...

opelfruitcase
01-10-2006, 00:36
The suspicion is that ntl are providing their customers numbers to this (supposedly) Orange call centre...

Cobblers... do you really think that any telco provider would do this? With the TPS and the DPA? I hardly think so... mobile providers will provide third party companies with details of when a contract is due for renewal (so long as the user has consented to this; normally somewhere in the small print) but I'm yet to hear of any landline telco that would do anything like this... especially ntl as they sell their own services, they don't get any other companies to do it for them, unlike certain other telco companies. For example, talk talk prior to being taken over by CPW - many door to door cold callers and many outbound telephone sales ('marketing') companies.

Cobbydaler
01-10-2006, 00:40
Then how within 2 weeks of me getting my ntl number do I get a cold call from this 'Orange' call centre?

Where do they get the number from?

I've not had any silent calls, so it's not random dialling...

Oh, don't call me Cobblers by the way... ;)

opelfruitcase
01-10-2006, 01:31
Then how within 2 weeks of me getting my ntl number do I get a cold call from this 'Orange' call centre?

Where do they get the number from?

I've not had any silent calls, so it's not random dialling...

Oh, don't call me Cobblers by the way... ;)

Simple... the number is recycled... the number can be put back in to ue almost immediately after it is disconnected from someone else. The calls being recieved are almost certainly from the preious user of the line who didn't care much for their own privacy.

Don't worry, I could have called you tripe instead, haha! On a more serious note, I've been called far worse, lol!

smucks
01-10-2006, 03:24
I intended this thread to be one related to the topic which was "Strange Calls From Orange centers " and not one blaming Teleco providers of selling on numbers.

Now before I get my flack jacket on let me explain what was explained to me.

Now modern day marketing companies use computers to dial protential customers in the aid to obtain a sales lead or a potential scam.

What happens is these companies obtain an telephone number of a house on one street in an area.

This could be through market research done by in a number of ways you have all seen people asking you could you spare a minute to complete this form in city centers during your luch break yes ?

From the contact details you have most likely gave them a contact telephone number Yes ? (home or mobile)

This one telephone number is then placed into the computer, the computer then generates telephone numbers 100 up and 100 down from this number (example only could be as much as 1000's)

The computer then dials those numbers on, you answering this call you find no one on the line and the call is then terminated, you have then given the computer the information it needs. The number is active and is marked for them to use.

Then you get calls from call centers after your number gets placed on a list from sales reps/marketers etc etc telling you this that and the other.

Before long the computers then can have an entire city's phone numbers

Now if you register (I am not saying you should) with TSP you then on receiving the call/s try and find as much information from the caller/s without you giving our information you then report this to TSP and then the company if found are liable to heavy fines.

If you do not report these calls on to TSP they do not know you have received them and therefore can not help makes sence really.

Now if you give up your telephone number and someone else gets it then, if you have answered any of these silent/cold calls as they are called then they will get them and for them to try and stop them they may have to register and report follow on calls to have them stopped.

Now in my orginal post on this thread I was looking to see if any other members have had the same type of calls as this would not only help me but other members who are getting these calls if any information could be put together to try and find where and what call centers they are coming from then maybe we could have them stopped and slapped on the rist.

Now can we all get back on topic please!

opelfruitcase
01-10-2006, 11:08
I intended this thread to be one related to the topic which was "Strange Calls From Orange centers " and not one blaming Teleco providers of selling on numbers.

Now before I get my flack jacket on let me explain what was explained to me.

Now modern day marketing companies use computers to dial protential customers in the aid to obtain a sales lead or a potential scam.

What happens is these companies obtain an telephone number of a house on one street in an area.

This could be through market research done by in a number of ways you have all seen people asking you could you spare a minute to complete this form in city centers during your luch break yes ?

From the contact details you have most likely gave them a contact telephone number Yes ? (home or mobile)

This one telephone number is then placed into the computer, the computer then generates telephone numbers 100 up and 100 down from this number (example only could be as much as 1000's)

The computer then dials those numbers on, you answering this call you find no one on the line and the call is then terminated, you have then given the computer the information it needs. The number is active and is marked for them to use.

Then you get calls from call centers after your number gets placed on a list from sales reps/marketers etc etc telling you this that and the other.

Before long the computers then can have an entire city's phone numbers

Now if you register (I am not saying you should) with TSP you then on receiving the call/s try and find as much information from the caller/s without you giving our information you then report this to TSP and then the company if found are liable to heavy fines.

If you do not report these calls on to TSP they do not know you have received them and therefore can not help makes sence really.

Now if you give up your telephone number and someone else gets it then, if you have answered any of these silent/cold calls as they are called then they will get them and for them to try and stop them they may have to register and report follow on calls to have them stopped.

Now in my orginal post on this thread I was looking to see if any other members have had the same type of calls as this would not only help me but other members who are getting these calls if any information could be put together to try and find where and what call centers they are coming from then maybe we could have them stopped and slapped on the rist.

Now can we all get back on topic please!

Your spot on as a description of bulk diallers.

I will explain this in more detail for those who aren't aware as this is something that NTL customer services reguarly have calls about.

Unfortunately if anyone is being plagued with such calls there is absolutely nothing that can be done about these. As they're almost always calling from the subcontinent, they cannot be bound to the TPS. Also, you can not block them with anonymous caller rejection as they almost always call from a line where caller line indentification (CLI) isn't supported; in other words when dialling 1471 'we do not have the callers number to return the call'; therefore the ACJ cannot block it.

On the few occasions that you are actually able to speak to someone you'll never get any useful information out of them at all. As I know from previous experience, they tend to bulk dial again and again a certain block of numbers for a few weeks until they move on to another block of numbers. Reason for retrying is that they know they won't get to speak to every single person on every active number within that number range first time around.

I find it deplorable and utterly abhorent but as said above unfortunately there is very little that can be done.

HTH

timewarrior2001
01-10-2006, 11:31

I will explain this in more detail for those who aren't aware as this is something that NTL customer services reguarly have calls about.

Unfortunately if anyone is being plagued with such calls there is absolutely nothing that can be done about these. As they're almost always calling from the subcontinent, they cannot be bound to the TPS. Also, you can not block them with anonymous caller rejection as they almost always call from a line where caller line indentification (CLI) isn't supported; in other words when dialling 1471 'we do not have the callers number to return the call'; therefore the ACJ cannot block it.

On the few occasions that you are actually able to speak to someone you'll never get any useful information out of them at all. As I know from previous experience, they tend to bulk dial again and again a certain block of numbers for a few weeks until they move on to another block of numbers. Reason for retrying is that they know they won't get to speak to every single person on every active number within that number range first time around.

I find it deplorable and utterly abhorent but as said above unfortunately there is very little that can be done.

HTH

I get these, and its time a law was brought in to stop them.

However, everytime I pick up the phone and theres a pause, I hang up.
If theres someone there I ask how they got the number. Being ex directory and having annonymous caller rejection enabled AND being in the TPS.
Dont get many, but I swear I am sick of charities phoning me to see If I want to give them money, NO if I Did I would contact YOU.

smucks
01-10-2006, 15:23

HTH

Thank you for that information the bit about

Was not explained to me, but I will add some and it only some have actually given me details and have been slapped.

TheNorm
01-10-2006, 15:46
...I find it deplorable and utterly abhorent but as said above unfortunately there is very little that can be done.

I'm not so sure - these calls are costing someone time and money. If you can increase one or both, without them making a successful sale, that is going to hurt them, is it not?

For example, my dad gets these type of calls, trying to sell him double glazing. He lets them go through the sales talk, asks all sorts of questions about the hinges and frames, and whether or not the glass is bullet-proof, then drops the clanger "but I live in a block of flats and the residents association won't allow me to put in new windows". The calls are becoming less frequent - presumably someone is getting the message!

In this case you could ask questions such as:

- "Oranges? I get mine from the market. Do you deliver?"
- "Are they seedless?"
- "I don't want an orange phone - do you sell them in pink?"

Perhaps we could run a competition for the best Q and A...!

m419
01-10-2006, 19:56
I get a lot of that from Hutchison(3-Mobile) from an indian call centre.

Funny enough, when I contacted 3-Customer services, the person in india said 'Good afternoon,your through to Krishner at Orange, how can I help'. And then he said sorry, I meant Three.

As far as I know Orange in India and Austrailia is owned by Hutchison and were rebranded earlier this year to 'Hutch' in India and '3 CMSD' in Austrailia. So anyone working for a company should have got the name right after 6 months! So that particular call centre must be for Orange UK too.

Be assured that Orange everywhere else is owned by France Telecom.

If you are an Orange customer and receive marketing phone calls direct from Orange or an agency working on behalf of Orange, then you need to contact Orange to get off their lists, the TPS will not do anything about this.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
02-10-2006, 06:50
then they say they are from a orange call center.

<snip>

The only problem is that they leave no number and only mention they are from a orange call center and until I give them some details which I would not recommend anyone doing full stop I am at a blank.

Are you SURE they say they are from orange, rather than "calling on behalf of orange"?? I used to have these a lot, although they have dropped drastically in frequency since adding my mobile number to my TPS registration.

The annoying thing I find is that about 30% of them claim never to have heard of TPS - although they do frequently hang up once you start on the response TPS script!!

opelfruitcase
02-10-2006, 08:58
Are you SURE they say they are from orange, rather than "calling on behalf of orange"?? I used to have these a lot, although they have dropped drastically in frequency since adding my mobile number to my TPS registration.

Yes most of these calls are from third party companies and are not associated with the network in anyway - even a so-called 'upgrade' with these companies is in fact a case of closing down your existing account and opening up a brand new account with an 18 month contract, whereas a standard upgrade directly through your network provider will normally only result in a 12 month extension to your contract.

vbnmu
17-10-2006, 12:21
I'm not so sure - these calls are costing someone time and money. If you can increase one or both, without them making a successful sale, that is going to hurt them, is it not?

For example, my dad gets these type of calls, trying to sell him double glazing. He lets them go through the sales talk, asks all sorts of questions about the hinges and frames, and whether or not the glass is bullet-proof, then drops the clanger "but I live in a block of flats and the residents association won't allow me to put in new windows". The calls are becoming less frequent - presumably someone is getting the message!

In this case you could ask questions such as:

- "Oranges? I get mine from the market. Do you deliver?"
- "Are they seedless?"
- "I don't want an orange phone - do you sell them in pink?"

Perhaps we could run a competition for the best Q and A...!

hahahahaha.....what a cracker!!!!!
tell u wat...am definitely gonna try that the next time they ring!!!

:LOL: :bsmack:

Robster
17-10-2006, 17:24
In the case of calls to mobiles, I get them now and then on my orange mobile, always someone saying they are calling on behalf of orange.

I asked orange about it and their rep explained to me that these companies know which dialling codes are assigned to which networks and randomly dial based on those.

This made sense to me, and a mate of mine who was originally with orange, and has since ported his number to T-Mobile then Three still gets calls claiming to be on behalf of orange.

SMHarman
17-10-2006, 20:54
I used to get these too, the part I like about them is they claim to be calling from Orange then ask you questions to establish if you are out of contract. Erm, you are calling from Orange so you should know whether I am in or out of contract :dozey:

grandmaster
17-10-2006, 21:35
when one of them rings tell them to hold on a moment while you take a very important call.
Stick your phone in the drawer for a while and see how long they stay on the line for..

vbnmu
18-10-2006, 11:13
had someone calling around my end today!! she said she was calling from 3 connections on behalf of o2.
coz it was a woman i remained pretty nice and she passed me to her supervisor. thats wat she done when i started saying that i am not interested in any deals they might have.
anyway, the supervisor (a woman again) assured me that there wont b any further calls to my house.
Is it a tactical measure to have female CS?? just so that we listen to them n buy there stuff!!!