PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Paninis

Raistlin
14-08-2005, 15:25
Hi Guys,

I've bought myself some Paninis with which to make some toasted "Deli Style Sandwiches).

I'm planning on doing Tuna Mayonaise with chedder cheese and red onion.

The only thing I can't decide is how to cook it. I've got one of these George Foreman things (quite a big one with a fancy hinge) so I'm going to do it in that.

The question is, do I cook it with just the cheese and onion in and then add the tuna when I serve it, or do I cook the whole lot in one go?

marky
14-08-2005, 15:27
i think the combo of hot and cold would be scrummy :D

Roy MM
14-08-2005, 15:34
Tuna goes in after cooking is complete.

Raistlin
14-08-2005, 15:41
Cool, thanks guys - I'll let you know how they taste :)

shredder
14-08-2005, 15:43
hmmm when i used to make them at work the bread etc was lightly toasted/warmed first then all the fillings ie cheese, tuna and onion were added at the same time, just long enough for the cheese to melt, i never got any customer complaints and i think it tasted yummy!

Roy MM
14-08-2005, 15:43
Cool, thanks guys - I'll let you know how they taste :)

It will taste great. ;)

marky
14-08-2005, 15:55
just a thought :)

http://www.creativekitchenonline.com/story/waffles/recipes/panini/

Raistlin
14-08-2005, 16:00
Thanks for that :tu:

andygrif
14-08-2005, 18:56
I would suggest leaving out the mayo (you don't need it with the fat that the melted cheese will release).

Mix up your tuna chunks and chopped onion, slap it on your panini. Grate the cheddar on the top, close up your panini.

Those George Forman jobbies are slanted correct? If so, when the cheese melts out the side it will drain off (bad!) Suggest you put a book or something thick under the front of the grill so that the cooking surface is level, then slap your rolls on the grill, close the lid and cook for about 3-4 mins, or until the ingredients are hot all the way through.

The thing about paninis (like ciabatta) is that they are best when heated through/toasted - and the tuna & cheese hot and melted will be better than a cold middle!

Raistlin
14-08-2005, 19:37
Ok, tried it earlier and added the cold tuna mix after cooking the panini and melting the cheese - it was ok but not great.....

I'll try it Andy's way next and compare the two :)