PDA

View Full Version : NTL install next door..

dushanbe
14-08-2005, 00:12
Last week I came home to find that NTL had done an install next door. I noticed that instead of picking up the cable from the pavement, they had used the junction box on my wall and clipped two cables from the box along my wall to my neighbours, where they had drilled through.

Suffice to say, I wasn't happy as no one had asked to enter my front garden and clip cables to my wall so I called them. The long and short of it is that after several phone calls, someone has been out and removed the cables but damaged my wall by managing to pull some of the pointing out.

What do I do next, I don't want to spend three days on the phone just to prove a point to NTL - am I right to be ****** off about this?

Jon T
14-08-2005, 10:07
As I understand it, NTL must have somthing called "wayleave" i.e. permission from the owner of the property to do anything that alters the structure of a building in any way, this include clipping cables to it.

spike7451
14-08-2005, 10:31
correct me if i read you wrong,but it sounds like the installer used the NTL feed to your home to run next doors INSTEAD of running a 'fresh' drop cable from the street cabinet.correct?
Well,if they did'thats a no-no! Against NTL's policy.You could have a good case as we have to get next doors ok to even enter the garde.(ie,last week,i had a fault where Pheonix gas had cut thru theis guys cable.I was able to run a temp fix from his neighbours box,but i asked first.)The installers broka a basic rule her in that they did not agree a cable route with the householder in that i doubt your neighbour would have sad 'yes' if they had known how it was going to be done.Sounds like it was done on a Friday or Saturday & the installers wanted to get away for the pub or the footie.
I'd see the CAB.Where are you in the country?If youre in N.Ireland,i might be able to pas this on the the relevent dept.
Spike

dushanbe
14-08-2005, 11:06
Spike 7451 - yes thats exactly what they did, used the feed into my house to run to next doors. I wasn't over the moon about that, but was more upset about the cables being clipped to my wall. I've got no where with NTL customer services and as they've removed the cables (albeit having damaged the wall slightly) for the sake of my blood pressure I'd probably just leave it alone unless there is an easy complaint procedure.

Jules
14-08-2005, 11:23
You have every right to complain, I know I would not be happy if they did that to me.

Oh and https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/08/17.gif to the forum

nfs6600
14-08-2005, 12:00
Spike 7451 - yes thats exactly what they did, used the feed into my house to run to next doors. I wasn't over the moon about that, but was more upset about the cables being clipped to my wall. I've got no where with NTL customer services and as they've removed the cables (albeit having damaged the wall slightly) for the sake of my blood pressure I'd probably just leave it alone unless there is an easy complaint procedure.

Beat way is to ask CS to email the installs department who will then take the appropriate action with the engineers who carried out the work.

JohnHorb
14-08-2005, 12:11
Looks like it's getting to be a habit!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32528

Jon T
14-08-2005, 12:24
Following the fiasco my girlfriends sister had yesterday(which Russ D is helping me with), i'd say that NTL have got a problem with the recruitment, education and training of their install teams.

Not to mention ensuring correct and polite behavior while on the customers premises.