PDA

View Full Version : American-style fridge freezers

Chris
12-08-2005, 12:12
We promised ourselves we would buy one of these when our existing kit began to die, and that time is fast approaching! The chest freezer is losing its handle (and is not very highly rated for energy efficiency) and the fridge ... well, we didn't realise quite how bad it is until we went on holiday and noticed that food we put in the fridge in our holiday flat was still fresh at the end of the week.

So, I'm after recommendations. I am fully conversant with the joys of Google, Kelkoo, and the various online stores, but what they don't tell you is which models are good, which brands are well built, and which features are worth having (do I really need twin compressors, for example?!) One thing I know I don't need is ice making and chilled water dispensing. I can't be doing with the hassle of having it plumbed into mains water.

AndrewJ
12-08-2005, 12:22
We too are looking for one of these for the future time, Comet in Oldham have a fridge section for USA styled ones. Some have the water dispenser but you fill it yourself and it is not connected to the mains.

Jules
12-08-2005, 12:25
I have always found that the freezer part of them is always rather small, having said that I would love one if I had the room.
I think it is always better to get a fridge freezer with 2 compressors then if one does go at least the other part of the unit keeps working so that you are not left with out both fridge and freezer at the same time

Millay
12-08-2005, 12:30
Ive had several (house moved etc) and always find samsung to be the best, I have one my parents both do as well all different models, cracking value for money..

AndrewJ
12-08-2005, 12:39
Does anyone own a Beko one? we spotted a pink one and my gf is besotted with it ( her late mother had one exactly like it )

danielf
12-08-2005, 12:51
Does anyone own a Beko one? we spotted a pink one and my gf is besotted with it ( her late mother had one exactly like it )

We've got a Beko (had it for about a year). No complaints so far. Ours is white, thank God...

orangebird
12-08-2005, 13:01
We promised ourselves we would buy one of these when our existing kit began to die, and that time is fast approaching! The chest freezer is losing its handle (and is not very highly rated for energy efficiency) and the fridge ... well, we didn't realise quite how bad it is until we went on holiday and noticed that food we put in the fridge in our holiday flat was still fresh at the end of the week.

So, I'm after recommendations. I am fully conversant with the joys of Google, Kelkoo, and the various online stores, but what they don't tell you is which models are good, which brands are well built, and which features are worth having (do I really need twin compressors, for example?!) One thing I know I don't need is ice making and chilled water dispensing. I can't be doing with the hassle of having it plumbed into mains water.

LG are top notch IMO. I have kitchen appliances and dvd/video goods made by them, with no complaints whatsoever. This (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/181668.html) deal at Comet is great. And it DOESN'T have a water dispenser, which with these styke fridges, is quite a find... HTH

Graham
12-08-2005, 14:03
So, I'm after recommendations.

I've just had a quick peruse on the Which? Online site and here's some info:

1) Especially on the American style ones, treat the "capacity" figure with a large degree of scepticism. The actual usable space may be a *lot* less than the claimed total volume.

2) Two thermostats are better than one because you can control the temperature of each section independantly, also this allows you to switch one side off eg you can stick everything in the fridge side when you're defrosting the freezer (just *don't* use screwdrivers...! :D )

3) Depending on where you're putting it, check the "climate class":

The two you're most likely to come across in the UK are N class and SN class. Both work effectively in room temperatures up to 32°C.

N models shouldnââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t be used in rooms that become colder than 16°C.

SN models shouldnââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t be used at room temperatures below 10°C.

Other classes that you might come across are ST and T. ST models work best at between 18°C and 38°C, and T models between 18°C and 43°C.

Here's what they say about "Side by side" freezers:

All the side-by-side models weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve tested are pretty good, but our three Best Buys are really impressive.

For lots of grocery space at a reasonable price, try the Samsung RSZI FCNS, £849 from Currys. Its effective insulation helps keep temperatures inside low and itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s one of the quietest fridge-freezers around. An ingenious mini-bar cooler box allows you to cool and remove bottles without opening the door.

For a bit more money, you can buy the best side-by-side model weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve tested, the Whirlpool S20D RBB 32 - A/G. It freezes fresh food quickly to keep groceries in mint condition for longer. The electronic control panel gives you complete control over temperatures and features such as the ice maker. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s around £900 at Powerhouse.

The GE PCG 21 MMFFWW is the best for cooling down food and drink in the fridge quickly. It has lots of short-term freezer compartments for pre-frozen groceries such as ice cream, but this means it has fewer four-star compartments, which freeze fresh food and keep it for longer. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s not widely available on high street but itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s around £1,500 online.

Hope this helps.

zoombini
12-08-2005, 19:30
Don't you have to build an extension to the house to be able to fit one in?

Graham
12-08-2005, 21:54
Don't you have to build an extension to the house to be able to fit one in?

:rofl:

Gareth
12-08-2005, 21:59
smeg

marky
12-08-2005, 21:59
I think matt d is the expert :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=537975&postcount=1

greencreeper
12-08-2005, 22:12
One here currently at £1, if you don't mind a dint and lack of a box

http://www.clearance-comet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=62681549&prmenbr=37087214&aunbr=63028259

I've ended up with a fridge freezer (not a big one though), but as a rule, I avoid combination products - if one bit goes, it all goes.

Graham
12-08-2005, 22:22
smeg

Language! :D

andygrif
13-08-2005, 10:50
So, I'm after recommendations.

We've got a Maytag - which are the original US imports. They also make the Admiral range. Website http://www.maytag.co.uk/

It's been fine, no problems at all over the last 7 years that we've had it. You do need to keep an eye on the ambient temperature of your kitchen on some models as they are "tropicalised" meaning that there needs to be a minimum temperature in the room to operate properly - but we've not encountered a problem with it.

We got a couple of hundred quid off by shopping around, getting the best price and then going to John Lewis who matched it, delivered it free and gave us a second year's warranty free too.

SMHarman
13-08-2005, 23:32
We've got a Maytag - which are the original US imports. They also make the Admiral range. Website http://www.maytag.co.uk/

We got a couple of hundred quid off by shopping around, getting the best price and then going to John Lewis who matched it, delivered it free and gave us a second year's warranty free too.
We have a Admiral one too, with stainless steel cladding and water cooler / dispenser and ice maker.
Ours is one of the original 80x80 sized, most are now 90x70 (which is 90x60 of box and 10 of door, so more flush fitting.
Even at 80x80 you can get a 15in pizza box in the fridge. The freezer has a lot of space taken up by the ice and water, but is worthwhile IMHO.

Also remember the need for plumbing for one that needs it, the need for an inline filter (annual replacement) and dispenser lightbulbs (a hideous £8 each).