PDA

View Full Version : Longer cable help please

hermes
11-08-2005, 21:28
Hi, I have just had the upgrade to 2mb, all's is well there but I need a longer piece of cable from the thingy on the wall to the setop box without having to go to the trouble of getting NTL to come out, I'm hoping that somewhere like Maplins do it ready cut to length and joined etc?

cheers

marky
11-08-2005, 21:30
i think they do mate :tu:

Roy MM
11-08-2005, 21:34
Good quality coax with a F plug each end should do the trick, but NTL disprove of altering there equipment

hermes
11-08-2005, 21:38
So you reckon they do it all at Maplins, what kind of cabl and connections are they, it's thickers than the normal coax stuff isn't it?

marky
11-08-2005, 21:39
So you reckon they do it all at Maplins, what kind of cabl and connections are they, it's thickers than the normal coax stuff isn't it?

just ask them they will make it up for you :)

hermes
11-08-2005, 21:48
thanks mates, I will have a trip to Maplins, looks like they have some ready made cables too.

cheers

SMHarman
11-08-2005, 23:06
it needs to be sat/cable quality, this has better shielding.

They might call it CT100

hermes
11-08-2005, 23:23
thanks for the info mate

spike7451
12-08-2005, 14:55
However,it is against the T & C's of you getting service.If you have problems & have to call a engineer out to fix them,as it's a diy extension,YOU WILL be charger £50.00! You may also cause other customers to have problems with their services as well.
Spike

hermes
12-08-2005, 15:10
However,it is against the T & C's of you getting service.If you have problems & have to call a engineer out to fix them,as it's a diy extension,YOU WILL be charger £50.00! You may also cause other customers to have problems with their services as well.
Spike

But surely if I call out NTL for a slightly longer cable then there going to charge me anyway?

We had an ancient stone age modem and haven't seen an NTL technician for years untill I called to have the modem upgraded, as usual it was the customer that had to ask for a free upgrade instead of NTL keeping their existing customers informed, in fact if it wasn't for this superb forum then I would have never known any different.

As a matter of interest how would this cause other customers to have problems with their services too?

MovedGoalPosts
12-08-2005, 15:50
It is rare, but possible, for interference to be introduced back into the cable network where wiring is altered. Common causes can be a minor shorting. Especially when people talk of splitting their cable the signal strengths can be affected which in turn can introduce issue back into the cable network. It is for this reason that ntl's Ts & Cs prohibit customers from fiddling with the ntl side cable.

Anything prior to the STB or Modem is on the ntl side of the network, even when wiring is in your own house. The STB / modem will provide a barrier between whatever appliances and wiring you have after the STB/modem, such as your TV or PC.

Having said that, provided you are careful, and use compatible cabling, with proper joints, it is unlikely that by adding a length to the existing wires that cable network services would be affected. However depending on the length and quaility of the cable extension, you might alter the overall resitivity of the cable from street cabinet to STB/modem. That could change your signal strength degrading yor own service.

simpsonsFAN
12-08-2005, 15:53
But surely if I call out NTL for a slightly longer cable then there going to charge me anyway?They will charge £25, this callout fee includes the cost of the cable, and installation of the set top box in another room.

-Chris

hermes
12-08-2005, 15:58
Again thanks guys.
Maybe you misunderstand me but all I want is a longer cable from the box on the wall to the settop box, thats all, just a ready made cable with the screw connections both ends would be fine, I won't be going in any deeper than that.

spike7451
12-08-2005, 17:42
Best bet,if you see a engineer,ask him for a length of cable.

sollp
12-08-2005, 19:11
Again thanks guys.
Maybe you misunderstand me but all I want is a longer cable from the box on the wall to the settop box, thats all, just a ready made cable with the screw connections both ends would be fine, I won't be going in any deeper than that.

The cable you require will be installed by NTL. Alot of people think by just getting a bit of cable with a couple of connectors will do no harm, well your very wrong. This does cause immense noise on the cable Tv network, which interferes with your cable modem,(your internet experience) and also everybody else in your area. And when your internet connection is slow, when your pings and downloads take ages when the connection drops out, guess who you blame!

it needs to be sat/cable quality, this has better shielding.

They might call it CT100

What types of connectors do you use on this cable?

Let me guess it will be the ones you get that the Sky installers use that just screw onto the cable! Or the ones that are made for putting on your cable for the TV.

These are not the correct type to use as they will not be good enough for the use in cable TV networks.

Again this is why you need to get NTL to install extensions ect. I know it may cost a few quid, but surley to the job done properly, to enjoy the internet and Digi Tv you pay for, why not pay out instead of having a terrible experience.

dealseuro
13-08-2005, 07:59
Hi, I have just had the upgrade to 2mb, all's is well there but I need a longer piece of cable from the thingy on the wall to the setop box without having to go to the trouble of getting NTL to come out, I'm hoping that somewhere like Maplins do it ready cut to length and joined etc?

cheers