PDA

View Full Version : Theories

Steve H
11-10-2003, 09:48
Over the past few weeks at college, Ive thought the game thing, over and over...

Does time pass faster as you get (pshyically) Bigger?

Reason being.. When we were small.. Time used to take ages to go, at school, in bed, doing general things, even in football matches when you were enjoying yourself.

Nowadays, times flying.. Even when im doing boring things, it just flys.

If I were an Ant, Would an Earth Day feel like a Year to me? Would an Ant year feel like a Earth day To me? Or Am i going loopy? :D

Anyone got any other (weird) theories? :p

erol
11-10-2003, 10:26
Is this not just that when you are 3 years old a year represents 1/3rd of your life (to date). When you are 30 it represents 1/10th of you life and at 60 1/20th ?

I suspect it has more to do with how long you have been alive than size per say though there is a corealtion between size and how long you have been alive I guess.

aliferste
11-10-2003, 11:55
Someone pass that joint :smokin:

ian@huth
11-10-2003, 12:12
There is a theory that the lifespan of most creatures is equivalent to a certain number of heartbeats and is the same no matter what creature it is with the exception of man who has developed medicines and other things to prolong the number of heartbeats.

When you are younger and more energetic your heart may beat faster so that an hour of a certain activity involved more heartbeats than an hour would when you was older and less energetic. So it may be said that the activity lasted maybe 5,000 heartbeats when younger but only 4,000 heartbeats when older. So the older person appears to do it faster.

Memory could also come into play as well. The older you are, the more you can remember, but memories from the far distant past are few and far between whereas memories of the recent past are virtually total recall of every little thing you did. That gives you the impression of a very busy and fast current life but a slow sedate earlier life.

Maggy
11-10-2003, 12:17
Is this not just that when you are 3 years old a year represents 1/3rd of your life (to date). When you are 30 it represents 1/10th of you life and at 60 1/20th ?

I suspect it has more to do with how long you have been alive than size per say though there is a corealtion between size and how long you have been alive I guess.

When you are three and under you have no real perception of time passing because your ability to think in abstract terms has yet to develop.You can understand down, up,under,through,around and even hidden but the idea that the day is made up of time forget it.That's why kids don't understand that not now means not now but a little bit later and scream the place down because they can't have the toy/sweets NOW this instant.It is why children take time to learn what is right and wrong because the idea of consequences go hand in hand with understanding time passing.So if you are unaware what time is you can't see it passing fast or slow.

Incog.

Bex
11-10-2003, 16:31
Does time pass faster as you get (pshyically) Bigger?

have u also noticed that if u are having fun, time goes ten times quicker?

Atomic22
11-10-2003, 18:44
yeh also people say wagon wheels are smaller now but in reality they are the same size as always and peoples gobs just got bigger

Bex
11-10-2003, 19:21
yeh also people say wagon wheels are smaller now but in reality they are the same size as always and peoples gobs just got bigger

:rofl:

Taf
12-10-2003, 11:10
Hmmm.. small animals and insects live very short lives compared to large animals....

Small animals take longer to travel the same distance as a large animal.....

Russ
12-10-2003, 11:14
It's simple - ten years to a 10 year old is a long time because it represents their whole life, but it means a lot less to a 40 year old as it's only a quarter of their life.

Maggy
12-10-2003, 11:35
It's simple - ten years to a 10 year old is a long time because it represents their whole life, but it means a lot less to a 40 year old as it's only a quarter of their life.

Err no it doesn't.10 years to someone supposedly at the halfway point in life means a lot I can tell you. :)

Incog. :)

Russ
12-10-2003, 11:39
But Coggy....you're only 21, how would you know??

ZrByte
12-10-2003, 12:21
Actually it perfectly possible that time does have a much more powerful effect on a bigger person thatn it does on a smaller one in much the same way how time has a larger effect on someone standing still than it does on someoen moving faster than the speed of sound (This has actually been verified).
Makes me think that time is like radiation or UV rays, ever noticed that someone on say a motor bike with no jacket on a hot day is less likeley to get sunburn than someone standing still?
or maybe time is a direction, e.g. we have our 3 basic dimensions Length, Bredth & depth, we understand these as it is perfectly possible for us to maniplulate them. However a 4th invisible dimension is time maybe when you push one or two of the other Dimesnsions towards extreme speeds you reduce the effects of the other two (You try going straight up when your Rocketing along at 200Mp/s), seems to me like time is a direction but with a stream effect, i.e. when you get caught in the current of a river you cant help but get pulled along.

Bex
12-10-2003, 12:28
<snip snip snip> i.e. when you get caught in the current of a river you cant help but get pulled along.

i like this analogue........:D

erol
12-10-2003, 12:36

I already said that did I not Russ ? (second post in thread)

:)

erol
12-10-2003, 12:45
Actually it perfectly possible that time does have a much more powerful effect on a bigger person thatn it does on a smaller one in much the same way how time has a larger effect on someone standing still than it does on someoen moving faster than the speed of sound (This has actually been verified).

I am no 'einstein' and at the risk of sounding a bit picky

As I understand it

Time is not 'fixed'. That means it does not pass at the same rate for 'all things' in 'all places', but is relative to an objects velocity (vs another object of given velocity). As your velocity increase then time slows down for you , relative to someone with no velocity. This is true at any speed, but the effects are minute until speed start to appraoch the speed of light. So a physist would say that if one person is sitting still and another is walking, time is passing slower for the walking person than the sitting one. The fatser object 1 ones velcoity is relative to object 2 then the slower time passes for object 1 than it does for object 2.

which basicaly says what you originaly did, except to make the point that the effect exists at _any_ velocity difference between two objects and not just at the speed of sound upwards (which may well be the point as which it becomes measurable to us). This is the 'picky' part

The Diplomat
12-10-2003, 12:53
"My theory by A.Elk. Brackets Miss, brackets. This theory goes as follows and begins now. All brontosauruses are thin at one end, much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end. That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too."

:rofl:

Russ
12-10-2003, 13:15
I already said that did I not Russ ? (second post in thread)

Busted :(

Ramrod
12-10-2003, 15:40
There is a theory that the lifespan of most creatures is equivalent to a certain number of heartbeats and is the same no matter what .That would be why I do lots of Taiji :)

Atomic22
12-10-2003, 19:10
going back to my wagon wheel quote from earlier....mars bars got bigger or does this mean my gob got smaller?

kronas
12-10-2003, 19:19
the reason people have got dumber..............

because junk food has become something of a main meal ie eaten all the time :shrug: