PDA

View Full Version : Sky + worth it?

akane1984
09-08-2005, 10:23
Hi i have NTL analog and am tempted to switch to sky +, wanting to know is it really worth the switch? and what is all the features + would offer me.

Salu
09-08-2005, 10:30
I have it and I must say I really like it. It is, however expensive I feel. If you are faultering on the cost then I would suggest that you consider something like the Humax (can't remember model no). This is a freeview box with a hard disk inside it that allows you to pause live TV, record more than one programme concurrently and rewind etc etc.

It's about £140 and the best thing is that there are no more costs beyond that!

Make sure that your arial is able to recieve a digital signal though...

It's so much quicker than the NTL box too...

Derek
09-08-2005, 10:31
I'd say so.

The recording functions integrates very nicely into the EPG and being able to pause/rewind TV if the phone rings or you have missed the first few minutes is superb.

ian@huth
09-08-2005, 10:33
It's more than worth it. Having had it for over a year I wouldn't be without it. The Sky website has all the features mentioned and a search of Cableforum will unearth many threads and posts discussing it.

I have it and I must say I really like it. It is, however expensive I feel. If you are faultering on the cost then I would suggest that you consider something like the Humax (can't remember model no). This is a freeview box with a hard disk inside it that allows you to pause live TV, record more than one programme concurrently and rewind etc etc.

It's about £140 and the best thing is that there are no more costs beyond that!

Make sure that your arial is able to recieve a digital signal though...Initial cost would be £89 for supply of the digibox and installation. If you take more than one premium channel then there is no extra charge for using the service.

akane1984
09-08-2005, 10:39
i would want multiroom its no extra for second box? just£10 month. .

ian@huth
09-08-2005, 11:05
i would want multiroom its no extra for second box? just£10 month. .
Yes, as a new customer you would pay £89 for supply and installation of one Sky+ box and one standard digibox (provided other conditions such as qualifying packages are met).

akane1984
09-08-2005, 11:15
obviously i read sky site wrong do you not get two + boxes for £89? and is sky doing the free sky sports offer still.

yeah its one + box and one normal, hm how much would it be for two plus boxes then???

Derek
09-08-2005, 11:25
yeah its one + box and one normal, hm how much would it be for two plus boxes then???

I think the only way to do this is get one 'normal' Sky+ box and one Sky+ 360 (£399)

Either that or buy the 2nd box separately and get an independant installation.

akane1984
09-08-2005, 11:28
you mean buy 89 offer then buy second sky + box off eBay ?? or something

andygrif
09-08-2005, 13:00
Hi i have NTL analog and am tempted to switch to sky +, wanting to know is it really worth the switch? and what is all the features + would offer me.

I think if you're going to subscribe to a couple of premium channels (ie sports and/or movies) then it's worthwhile. But another £120 a year if you don't is way to steep IMHO.

Neil
09-08-2005, 13:20
I think if you're going to subscribe to a couple of premium channels (ie sports and/or movies) then it's worthwhile. But another £120 a year if you don't is way to steep IMHO.

How is it steep?

Steep compared to what? :erm:

There's no direct equivalent really regarding install/plug & go is there? :confused:

ian@huth
09-08-2005, 13:25

I think the only way to do this is get one 'normal' Sky+ box and one Sky+ 360 (£399)

Either that or buy the 2nd box separately and get an independant installation.Call Sky and ask them. If the cost is too high I would go for the Sky+ box with standard box multiroom for £89. You can always source a second Sky+ box elsewhere that may be cheaper and swap this over with the standard digibox keeping it as a spare in case of problems until the 12 month contract is up when you can sell it on if you want.

andygrif
09-08-2005, 13:38
How is it steep?

Steep compared to what? :erm:

There's no direct equivalent really regarding install/plug & go is there? :confused:

Steep compared to free, which is what it costs to tape something on DVD or VHS.

zoombini
09-08-2005, 18:51
As long as you subscribe to channels over £19 you can have sky+.
If your going to join, join with sky+ straight away, don't get std sky & think you will upgrade later because it costs you more.

If you think you will like recording stuff & keeping it for a while, go for the bigger hard drive unit, currently it's down in price.

Insist on a pace V2 box, ensure you have phone lines in both rooms as for multiroom they check up more often to ensure your not lending/renting your 2nd std box to a friend etc.

If you need new phone cables to the bedrooms then best to get an extension & fit it yourself, Ihave seen some right messes where they will only staple to the skirting.

Sky Plus ROCKS!
It's so briliant being able to pause something when the phone rings, record it to watch later if your on long, record the simpson to keep the kids quiete while your watching a documentary & to record Alison on QVC for er indoors so she can get all the best beauty tips while you have been watching a sci fi etc.

Graham
09-08-2005, 20:44

I've switched to Sky+ and I'd *never* go back to NTL TV!

Let's see: an EPG that *works*, a red button that *works*, series linking on recordings, pausing live TV, instant rewind on the channel you've been watching...

These are just a few of the features that NTL doesn't have!

Jason1
11-08-2005, 17:54
obviously i read sky site wrong do you not get two + boxes for £89? and is sky doing the free sky sports offer still.

Only choice online for 2 sky + boxes is sky+160 saves 80 hours and standard sky + 20 hours for £199 free install and 3 months half price on any thing above family pack currently £21pm last option as you complete order

Sky+160 with Multiroom+
Install Sky+ 160 with a Skybox+ and watch two Sky channels at the same time. A £10 a month Multiroom subscription is required for each additional box.
» More information
Product cost: £199.00
Standard installation: £0.00
Other Subscription(s): £10.00 per month
http://www.sky.com/ordersky/ordernow

Otherwise you can go for 1 sky+ box and 1 standard @ £89 free install and 3 months half price on top packs as above

If you got the cash to spare the £199 deal is the nutz i paid £379 in feb 2004 for sky + and standard multiroom free install no viewing discounts