PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Car Radios

Defiant
10-10-2003, 17:06
Just had to change my Car battery today as it was dead but the radio wont play now. Its displaying SAFE MODE. Doe's anyone know how to get it working again.

I thought perhaps someone on here has had this problem before when changing batterys ?

orangebird
10-10-2003, 17:07
Just had to change my Car battery today as it was dead but the radio wont play now. Its displaying SAFE MODE. Doe's anyone know how to get it working again.

I thought perhaps someone on here has had this problem before when changing batterys ?

Do you know if you have an option to enter a pin code or similar?

Defiant
10-10-2003, 17:11
I know its one of those type of radios built into dash and all that but nothing in the manual about that :(

So because their mass produced I thought their must be some type master code

orangebird
10-10-2003, 17:12
I know its one of those type of radios built into dash and all that but nothing in the manual about that :(

Then, my friend, your best bet is to take it to a Vauxhall garage...be prepared to be ripped off..... :(

marcsparks2002
10-10-2003, 17:23
Then, my friend, your best bet is to take it to a Vauxhall garage...be prepared to be ripped off..... :(

you could try here http://radiodecodes.co.uk/decode/ atb marc

alternitavely the main stealer would probably want between £5 and £10 to do it for you

cjll3
10-10-2003, 23:14
You should have a pin number with the owners book/pack.

ian@huth
10-10-2003, 23:39
You should have a pin number with the owners book/pack.

Most owners leave the handbook in the car so remove the pin number from the pack otherwise a thief could nick the handbook and radio just in case you hadn't removed it.

I will have the same problem if the battery is ever disconnected on my Vauxhall as there was no pin number with the car when I bought it and the previous owner didn't know it.

I believe that dealers charge £20 plus for getting you the number, absolute rip-off so I'm not bothering unless I have to.

zoombini
11-10-2003, 12:14
If you can identify the radio make, model number & its serial number (on the side/back) it may be possible to find the code for you.

Steve H
11-10-2003, 12:48
Well, My Ford Radio was locked out.. (I know its not vauxhall:p).. You should have some kind of number located in the radio booklet (You did say you had one?) Leave the radio switched on for a hour, and it should ask for this number, So people tell me. Worked on my Ford radio anyway.

Tricky
11-10-2003, 12:57
Does the "Put it in a freezer" thing still work. number of times people told me that, just never worked out how to get a freezer big enough to get the car...

How far off a service are you? - Get your car serviced and then say "Well it was OK when I brought it in!"

Defiant
11-10-2003, 14:06
Does the "Put it in a freezer" thing still work. number of times people told me that, just never worked out how to get a freezer big enough to get the car...

How far off a service are you? - Get your car serviced and then say "Well it was OK when I brought it in!"
HAHA haven't heard that one for years but I wouldn't like to try it on this type just in case.

Nipping out to the car in a mo and checking the manual again

zoombini
11-10-2003, 16:48
The freezer method is no longer effective, AFAIKR they have surpassed that now.

An algorith is used depending upon the serial number in most cases & it can be found that way if the correct program is used & there are a few knocing around on the net.

If it cannot be found from the book or perhaps seeking out the previous owner, it wont hurt to ask atthe dealers or local radio shops. Perhaps on the local markets, there are usually phone & radio unlockers on them.
Alternatively there are a few that willd deal over the net for this code, I organised one for a friend & it cost him £9.

Defiant
11-10-2003, 17:15
Well just checked the case I got with the car from new. Everything is in their as I've never taken anything out. I like to keep that kind of stuff together. The radio manual is their but no code.

I guess this is another way of Vauxhall to get money on the side.

"Hahaha just wait to you get a flat battery and find out how much extra is will cost ya"

hollers
20-10-2004, 03:08
got the same problem - but cannot even enter a code, just stays insafe mode HELP

Nidge
20-10-2004, 05:02
Your radios need taking out and plugging into a laptop and a new code entered. This will cost you about £10 any auto electrical engineer will do this for you. I have a Mondeo and the code for the radio wasn't in the car when I got it, I got the code changed to my birthday for £10.

paulyoung666
20-10-2004, 08:16
got the same problem - but cannot even enter a code, just stays insafe mode HELP

hi and :welcome: to the site , if you enter the wrong code a certain number of times then it will stay locked out until sorted properly :erm: , the best one i saw was a lad at work had diconnected his battery and didnt have the code , i told him there was a place near me that recoded them , so i went to the place with it and asked the bloke to sort it , he took a look at it and said have you tried entering this number that is written on it , i went no , maybe you can guess the rest :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

gary_580
20-10-2004, 09:15
I had the same issue with Peugeot. I phoned their customer support got the pin number from them (had to give them the chasis number) and the told me how to unlock the radio and how to enter the pin.

Might be worth doing that by phoning Vauxhall and not the dealer

SMHarman
20-10-2004, 09:48
I'd start with the dealers, if they failed to provide it and you have had the car from new, they should offer this gratis, were there any pre delivery checklists you still have that indicate it should have been done?

zoombini
20-10-2004, 10:09
As I said above, if you can identify the make, model & serial number, PM it to me I may be able to let you know the PIN.
There are many programs available that will give you this std information, it's all built around an algorithm based on your serial number.

I might not be able to, but it's free to find out.

Nugget
20-10-2004, 10:27
Your radios need taking out and plugging into a laptop and a new code entered. This will cost you about £10 any auto electrical engineer will do this for you. I have a Mondeo and the code for the radio wasn't in the car when I got it, I got the code changed to my birthday for £10.

Quick - everyone round Nidges to get his radio :Sprint:

;)

:jk:

martinell
20-10-2004, 23:10
Its displaying SAFE MODE.
last time i saw this on a stereo was when 2 speakers wires shorted and the amp shut itself down to protect itself.

ZrByte
23-10-2004, 21:01
As I said above, if you can identify the make, model & serial number, PM it to me I may be able to let you know the PIN.
There are many programs available that will give you this std information, it's all built around an algorithm based on your serial number.

I might not be able to, but it's free to find out.

Is that offer still open? I'll need to get the thing out again to get the number and such but I think it'll be worth it if your still offering :)

bob_a_builder
05-01-2005, 23:01
But why does just disconnecting the battery cause this "SAFE" msg according to the manual this should only occur after 10 atempt to enter wrong number - I've had 0 attempts so far !

Battery on my wife car just failed, replaced it and and now I'm in same boat, 2 lady owners from new , so not your normal car radio jockeys I'd of thought

Edit: I have all the radio serial no and code info on the red card in manual pack, but how to get out of "safe" mode ?

ZrByte
06-01-2005, 00:01
But why does just disconnecting the battery cause this "SAFE" msg according to the manual this should only occur after 10 atempt to enter wrong number - I've had 0 attempts so far !

Battery on my wife car just failed, replaced it and and now I'm in same boat, 2 lady owners from new , so not your normal car radio jockeys I'd of thought

Edit: I have all the radio serial no and code info on the red card in manual pack, but how to get out of "safe" mode ?

Safe means you can enter a pin, its only when it says blocked or locked that your in trouble.
Consult your manual for the pin entering procedure, or if you dont have one post the model number and make here and we'll see what we can do.

bob_a_builder
06-01-2005, 07:36
I have the manual, it says

After a power has been disconnected you have to enter the code
(BUT doesn't say what wil be displayed at that time)
1. switch on ignition
2 switch on radio- display shows "SAFE", after 3 seconds its shows "10____"
3 enter code - (by much pressing of buttons)

But mine stays on "SAFE"

The Manual also says "After the Tenth attempt SAFE appears in the display and the set is blocked

Biut I have had 0 attempts

zoombini
06-01-2005, 08:34
Sounds like a trip to the Vauxhall garage is needed.

ZrByte
06-01-2005, 12:40
I have the manual, it says

After a power has been disconnected you have to enter the code
(BUT doesn't say what wil be displayed at that time)
1. switch on ignition
2 switch on radio- display shows "SAFE", after 3 seconds its shows "10____"
3 enter code - (by much pressing of buttons)

But mine stays on "SAFE"

The Manual also says "After the Tenth attempt SAFE appears in the display and the set is blocked

Biut I have had 0 attempts

You have to have your key in the ignition and you either need the engine running or the key in the battery on position.

Also on some sets you need to hold down the 'AS' button for 5 - 10 seconds to allow pin entry.

radiodecodeman
05-06-2006, 20:29

to change from safe mode to 10----- press and hold the AS key and turn the radio on keep holding the AS key til it shows 10-----

Chris
05-06-2006, 20:35
How many times has this ancient thread been bumped now? :erm: :D :bump:

Graham M
05-06-2006, 20:47
And I wonder if he knows the post he has quoted is nearly 2 years old!! And why join just to reply to this thread? :confused:

Nugget
05-06-2006, 20:48
And I wonder if he knows the post he has quoted is nearly 2 years old!! And why join just to reply to this thread? :confused:

Well, there are a lot of Astras out there ;)

etccarmageddon
05-06-2006, 20:49
close it then?

Chris
05-06-2006, 21:25
close it then?

What, and stop some other random n00b giving it a helpful leg-up some time next February? It's more fun this way. :D

Enuff
05-06-2006, 21:42
radiodecodeman's first post and it could qualify him for most helpful post of june :D

gaffer_gump
05-06-2006, 21:48
Hmmmmmm, so did he ever get it done :doh:

skidallybebop
20-05-2008, 15:57
Hi,
i have an astra van and in desperate need of the code
for my radio. If anyone out their can help me i would
be entirley grateful.
SIEMENS VDO-330886636
No-93171870
TYPE-CDR 500 [E]

Cheers, Paul

multiskilled
20-05-2008, 17:05
1 year 11 months and 15 days. Is this a record? :D

LSainsbury
20-05-2008, 20:29
1 year 11 months and 15 days. Is this a record? :D

11115 - is that the code for his radio then?

:D

Is there a technical name for people who find a hit in Google, sign up to that forum with the answer, and post just the once??

multiskilled
21-05-2008, 08:39
11115 - is that the code for his radio then?

:D

Is there a technical name for people who find a hit in Google, sign up to that forum with the answer, and post just the once??

Googlelack! :D

igm75
16-10-2008, 08:07
Well, i joined cause I just got the same problem with changing battery and not having the code, this system should be scrapped. anyway, i hope (even though this is an old thread) that someone can help me get the code here.
so the serial number is

PH347FT9013049
Now the first letter could be a "D" (crappy handwritting)

there are a bunch of other numbers but i was thinking the serial is most important, right?
oh its a Phillips radio.

Graham M
16-10-2008, 08:13
I'm afraid it's a case of going to a main dealer, sorry, not a lot any of us can do if you don't have the code, I suppose the only thing to suggest would be to get a more modern stereo with a removable fascia since those aren't normally coded :) :welcome: anyway

igm75
16-10-2008, 08:52
I'm afraid it's a case of going to a main dealer, sorry, not a lot any of us can do if you don't have the code, I suppose the only thing to suggest would be to get a more modern stereo with a removable fascia since those aren't normally coded :) :welcome: anyway

i guess so, the car is located in Africa now so a dealer is out of the question.
thanks anyway.

Chris
16-10-2008, 10:11
i guess so, the car is located in Africa now so a dealer is out of the question.
thanks anyway.

So I see from your IP address (don't worry, only the team can see your IP) ;)

Truly we are an international forum. :D

igm75
16-10-2008, 11:22
haha, classic....
same problem, diff countries

moaningmags
16-10-2008, 12:30
When I had this issue with my Ford, I simply called them, rattled off the info they asked for and they gave me the code.