PDA

View Full Version : Which ISP report

Roy MM
03-08-2005, 13:24
Moving up to broadband could be cheaper than you think †“ our Best Buy broadband services start at just £14.99 a month.

Our latest survey shows that more and more people are moving to broadband and that overall standards are high. Our Best Buys donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t just have to do very well for overall customer satisfaction †“ they also have to score top marks for service and be more than average for ease of set-up, connection speed, reliability and technical support.

Don't buy

NTLwas one of the worst broadband providers in last yearâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s survey and was also rated well below average on every point this time.

The links to our Best Buys above show only some of the companies and packages available. For a wider range of options please check our table of 512Kbps services and our table of faster and slower services.

There are many other broadband suppliers that we werenââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t able to gather information about in the survey, so we canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t say whether they should be Best Buys. But weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve collected details of their services so that you can compare the biggest range of ISPs possible.

Updated August 2005

Neil
03-08-2005, 13:26
Can we have a couple of quoted lines of text, & a link to the article please?

Copying/pasting someone's copyrighted work is not nice.

orangebird
03-08-2005, 13:31
Can we have a couple of quoted lines of text, & a link to the article please?

Copying/pasting someone's copyrighted work is not nice.

I don't think it's possible to quote Which articles - I think you have to have a subscription to be able to view?

Roy MM
03-08-2005, 13:34
Subscrition site, but it gives options to print out the article.

ntl customer
03-08-2005, 16:06
Here's a visual indication of the results, ripped from the Which report in the magazine. Longer bars and higher percentages are better.

http://nthw.ath.cx:8080/nthw/whichbroadband.png

Just look where NTL are. ;)

Nemesis
03-08-2005, 16:31
This is copyright material ... altering first post.

Richard M
03-08-2005, 16:49
Good to see my ISP, Nildram, near the top. :)

Chrysalis
04-08-2005, 01:55
AOL BT NTL, shows how much the big value their customers.

But look at Telewest, NTL should make that result a target.

jtwn
05-08-2005, 12:26
1883 people? Thats like 0.3% of total BB customers?

Not really reflective of **** then. Probably just the moaners and groaners. Its pretty laughable when they can pitch how good an ISP on for instance, 37 votes with 'Waitrose', thats like enough for all the managers to vote for.

Strzelecki
05-08-2005, 12:35
Results may be a little fuzzy, but I'd definitely agree with the top 2. Have put loads of people on metronet and never had any problems. I'm switching to Freedom 2 surf now and they're brilliant too, despite having to put up with multiplt cock-ups by BT during the process. I've called them 5 times in the last week and the phone has never rung more than twice before being picked up, always by the same helpful and knowledgeable chap. I was happy with my NTL conection however but having moved house there is no feed in now so they'd have to dig up the garden if I wanted to keep it, not sure the landlord would approve!

TheBlueRaja
05-08-2005, 13:04
Go Zen - never had a single problem with these guys - you get right through to tech support / customer services and there always willing to help out.

The can be a bit pricer than others though - but hey - works paying :D

Saying that though - Metronet @ 20:1 contention on 2mb is 27.99 (ex VAT probably) and its capped at 15 gig - in that you start paying per meg after you use up your "allowance"

Pfff...

andyl
05-08-2005, 13:06
In two minds about this. Which surveys are usually totally unreliable as they poll membership (made up of professional whingers :) ) and are usually statistically highly unreliable. This is why some tiny tour operator that takes six people to some remote island always emerges triumphant in their travel survey whilst the big boys fair badly. The same could possibly be rue here given NTL's penetration of the BB market.

But then again, NTL doesn't have a good rep, hence the arrival and success of a site called NTHellworld - ;) :)

Gareth
05-08-2005, 18:11
I didn't complete the survey, so I have no idea about how they worded the questions, but if it was about the actual broadband service I'd disagree with the results... but if it was about the administrative side of NTL then I think those results are pretty accurate (are you listening, billing & house moving depts? :mad: )

Which surveys are usually totally unreliable as they poll membership (made up of professional whingers :) ) My missus signed-up for their trial membership last month to access one particular report... does she get classified as a professional whinger too..? Be very careful how you answer that question!

Chrysalis
05-08-2005, 22:57
1883 people? Thats like 0.3% of total BB customers?

Not really reflective of **** then. Probably just the moaners and groaners. Its pretty laughable when they can pitch how good an ISP on for instance, 37 votes with 'Waitrose', thats like enough for all the managers to vote for.

You have some argument, but then all the isp's are there are in the same boat, only small part of each customer base.

Just remember the following factors may affect people's judgement.

BB tech support in india
proxies causing unrelliable and slow browsing
caps, even if they dont affect the customer its much publicised
billing and install problems.