PDA

View Full Version : Plusnet Hard Capping

Ignition
31-07-2005, 21:42
Not confirmed yet but not good if this is true, especially with Plusnet's recent history of traffic shaping all customers.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=zen&Number=1957549

Add to this the port blocking etc, and while cheap the Plusnet deal begins to look worse and worse value for money.

zoombini
01-08-2005, 19:49
Plusnets Premier is NOT sold as unlimited and uncapped.

If someone downloads so much that they affect others service then they will be jumped upon.
This guy has obviously done that!.

The greedy sod.

Ignition
01-08-2005, 21:11
Plusnets Premier is NOT sold as unlimited and uncapped.

If someone downloads so much that they affect others service then they will be jumped upon.
This guy has obviously done that!.

The greedy sod.

It certainly was sold as such, before they started messing with bad boy pipes, fair use policies, etc, etc.

Isn't sold with a hard cap either, however if they're going to start throttling people down for leeching too much on top of the existing traffic shaping they should ideally be more upfront about what they consider as acceptable behaviour.

Even a certain cable ISP has soft limits under which you are guaranteed to be left alone, and no hard limits as of right now.

Odd that there are so few Plusnet users with anything good to say about them on their own forum on AG, yet anyone with a comment about them here is pretty generous.

Perhaps ntl should start traffic shaping and hard capping as no-one here seems to bat an eyelid about Plusnet doing it :)

Stuart
01-08-2005, 22:06
200 odd gig a month? What was he downloading? I know.. Linux disties.. You need to download several different ones a day ...

zing_deleted
02-08-2005, 01:39
It can soon accumilate,He is downloading dvds 4.5 gig + pars each it will soon reach 200 gig,if you look at a premium news server theres oodles and oodles of stuff every day alt.binaries.leachasmuchasyoucanfor$24.99

Now Im not saying thats me but my giganews header count was over 20 gig last month

Ignition
02-08-2005, 16:45
It can soon accumilate,He is downloading dvds 4.5 gig + pars each it will soon reach 200 gig,if you look at a premium news server theres oodles and oodles of stuff every day alt.binaries.leachasmuchasyoucanfor$24.99

Now Im not saying thats me but my giganews header count was over 20 gig last month

That's some seriously heavy downloading, not entirely sure I look forward to supporting poor network that has to take that abuse!

Anyway try http://www.newzbin.com it's far less painful than sifting through headers and 25p a week.

zing_deleted
02-08-2005, 16:59
I use newsbin as my newsreader now,never seen the index pages before will investigate , I only download off ukonline and only in the day as my service drops at night every night and I have a 500 gig cap ;) :D :D

Oic I actually use newsbin not newzbin :)

Ignition
04-08-2005, 12:31
A member of Plusnet staff has kindly informed why they are capping and traffic shaping:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=1963724

At peak time usage on our network gets to about 95% of total central pipe capacity. That's everything, but allowing a certain level of traffic shaping.

Now if we remove the traffic shaping overall usage increases towards 98-99%.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=1963705

Then next month we'll start the process again, and the next month and the next. So we are effectively managing that level of unsustainability from the network, ensure a high quality of service. Without that huge chunk of traffic going to a small number it's there for everyone, more traffic for everyone means that less need for shaping.

Essentially if what that dude says is true they're going to be emailing the top 0.1% of their users each month and asking them to either slow down, move to another ISP or face strict 30:1 contention with all the other users (note this is exactly 30:1, not the 30:1 you would usually see where a large number of users are on a pipe much bigger than any of theirs so statistical contention looks after things, but only enough bandwidth to give exactly 30:1 and the user base won't be very large, and this is gathering the heaviest users together. If there's 30 of them all they get is 2Mbit between them.)

Ignition
15-08-2005, 15:50
Well here's what appears to be the issue with these guys. Note the flat top between 6:45 and 11:15...

Chrysalis
15-08-2005, 17:39
Typical company putting shareholders first, they released the figures and they would still be making a healthy profit if they had an extra BT central.

Gareth
15-08-2005, 21:31
Ignition, just outta curiosity, where'd you get the stats from? I've been looking for a site that has UK ISP stats on it, something like the Frenchies get at www.grenouille.com (except that's dependent upon end users submitting data). Cheers.

jtwn
15-08-2005, 22:22
If you are talking about the graph its on the plusnet site - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml

I was thinking though...a puny 2.5gbit backbone for 80 000 customers...surely thats pushing it. I mean forget about contention at the exchange, from my eye, contention at the backbone is ****!

Ignition
16-08-2005, 14:11
Same again last night too, flat lining for quite some time, same story the week before, guess it's a regular occurance now.

jtwn that bandwidth is quite adequate for 80,000 customers, it's just unfortunate they've 113,000.