PDA

View Full Version : SMS Scams

iadom
06-10-2003, 19:34
I have had many Text scams on my mobile telling me that due to my good customer record I have won £1500 or something similar, ring this 0900 number for details. No i'm not that stupid.:p

Just had an unusual one and wondered if anyone else has had the same.

Sender..100

Message.. You are being contacted by our Dating Service by someone you know!:shocked:
To find out who it is call 0906401 8353 PO Box75LDNS7

I deleted it and a minute later it came through again.

I have never had any contact with any dating agency of any kind BTW.:)

ic14
06-10-2003, 20:00
Oh, my friend had that, he didnt know who it was from,

Really annoyed his G/F though :)

Defiant
06-10-2003, 20:01
I have had many Text scams on my mobile telling me that due to my good customer record I have won £1500 or something similar, ring this 0900 number for details. No i'm not that stupid.:p

Just had an unusual one and wondered if anyone else has had the same.

Sender..100

Message.. You are being contacted by our Dating Service by someone you know!:shocked:

I've never had one scam txt come through to me but then again I'm very carefull who I give the number out to ;)

philip.j.fry
06-10-2003, 20:16
I once had one that started with "Thank you handsome for a wonderful night" or something similar. It wasn't til you scrolled down that you saw it was spam from a text flirting service. I was pretty annoyed because it would have been so easy for anyone else, like my GF, reading that to get the wrong idea.

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 01:04
Its too easy these days to make a fortune on SMS scams.

iadom
07-10-2003, 10:19
I've never had one scam txt come through to me but then again I'm very carefull who I give the number out to ;)
Likewise. I would guess that less than 20 people know my mobile No: I could not give it you without looking it up. Do they not just send the scam messages out to random blocks of numbers?

philip.j.fry
07-10-2003, 10:43
Do they not just send the scam messages out to random blocks of numbers?

I think so, I don't get so many with my new number but the old one had around 2 a month on it. I actually get a lot of rubbish sent by my service provider (T-Mobile) which I classify as spam.

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 11:14
IF you have problems with spam on Phone you can register with the telephone preference service which takes your number off the database spammed around companies using UKinfo and other programs.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tpsr/html/default.asp

iadom
07-10-2003, 11:27
IF you have problems with spam on Phone you can register with the telephone preference service which takes your number off the database spammed around companies using UKinfo and other programs.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tpsr/html/default.aspThanks for that, I already have the house phones registered to prevent cold calling.

Bex
07-10-2003, 18:03
<snip>Sender..100

i keep getting that text too......it's starting to annoy me :rolleyes: