PDA

View Full Version : NTL BB & Networking

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 14:55
Hi guys, I have ordered broadband from ntl and i'm due to get it installed on tuesday, However after reading these forums im having second thoughts so I thought I would ask your advice.

At present I have broadband via adsl through my bt line I have only had broadband this way and never had any problems you can change your modems or pc's as often as you like do this do that and it never affectes your hardware or bb connection, I do have ntl installed in the living room i got their digital tv and phone package although i never use thir phone line.

I have two pc's in my home and they share my broadband connection via a cross over cable connected to the ethernet port as the adsl modems connect via usb can you do this with ntl bb?

I keep reading you have to reboot all the time change ip address or mac addresses and many more probs?????? when it comes to networking i don't want to buy a router especally a wirless one as they are crap in my opinion.

can anyone offer me any advice on how broadband works via ntl if your on a network?

MovedGoalPosts
20-07-2005, 15:09
By default you can only have one device directly connected to the ntl modem / Set Top Box. That can be a PC, console, or router. If you want to change that connected device you have to power cycle the ntl modem/STB. If the device is not known to ntl, and broadband is via a STB, you will have to go through the registration proceedure. Up to five different devices can be registered.

STBs only have an ethernet connection, however ntl did supply an ethernet to USB converter plug (dont' know if they still do). Modems are dual ethernet / USB options.

If you want to avoid the aggravation of plugging unplugging / power cycles, then you either need a router, or you will have to set up one PC as a "server" directly connected to the modem/STB for other PCs to connect to that master PC using internet connection sharing. If you need help on either of those options, please look and post in the Computers & IT section of the Forum.

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 15:13
i know you can only have the modem plugged into one machine it is the same as adsl in that way, let me explain more...

I have two computers mine being number one and my childrens being number two, mine is the main machine it is the one that has the modem connected to it via usb, my computer is connected to the other computer via a cross over cable allowing me to share files printers an my broadband connection so both machines have internet access at the same time. can this be done with ntl broadband?

Stuart
20-07-2005, 15:15
i know you can only have the modem plugged into one machine it is the same as adsl in that way, let me explain more...

I have two computers mine being number one and my childrens being number two, mine is the main machine it is the one that has the modem connected to it via usb, my computer is connected to the other computer via a cross over cable allowing me to share files printers an my broadband connection so both machines have internet access at the same time. can this be done with ntl broadband?

Yes, you can connect a Cable Modem via USB. You would have to make sure that NTL install a cable modem though, as Set Top Boxes don't enable broadband via USB.

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 15:17
thanks for your reply ntl are installing it next tuesday and i know they connect via usb or eithernet but the problem is people have said it can only be used on one machine and you are unable to share a broadband connection due to it logging mac addresses and stuff like that.... you cannot have more than one machine on a network with the same ip address but i have read ntl only allow one ip address???? if so u can't network is this correct

Stuart
20-07-2005, 15:19
thanks for your reply ntl are installing it next tuesday and i know they connect via usb or eithernet but the problem is people have said it can only be used on one machine and you are unable to share a broadband connection due to it logging mac addresses and stuff like that.... you cannot have more than one machine on a network with the same ip address but i have read ntl only allow one ip address???? if so u can't network is this correct

If you use Internet Connection Sharing, the PC that the modem is attached to will effectively act as a router, and it will assign an IP to your children's machine.

But you are correct in one way though. NTL do only give you one IP (as do most ADSL IPs as far as I know).

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 15:22
thank you stuart i know it does that on adsl but have read lots of confusing articles on here where they said you couldn't do it or you could only have one machine on the net at any one time etc.... just wanted to make sure before i pay 25 quid for the next year on something that does not work the way i want it to

i just want to be able to have a shared broadband connection like i have now on cable so i can get rid of bt line and save myself 13quid a month...

MovedGoalPosts
20-07-2005, 15:24
Based on the setup you posted at the beginning, all you should need to do is replace the ADSL connection with the new ntl connection. You already have the internet connection sharing system setup between your own and your childrens PC, and that arrangement can continue. You might have to rerun the internet connection wizard just the once though, to ensure any new settings specific to ntl are imported.

Of course you do not have to use the modem/STB to USB connection, you can add a second ethernet card to your main PC very cheaply.

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 15:28
i have another eithernet card in a box up on my shelf i can install it i was infact thinking about doing that but was not sure if you could put two network adapters in one machine

Stuart
20-07-2005, 15:35
i have another eithernet card in a box up on my shelf i can install it i was infact thinking about doing that but was not sure if you could put two network adapters in one machine

You can have many network cards in a PC. You could put the second card in your machine, plug that into the Ethernet connection on the modem. The you will need to re-run the Internet Connection Sharing wizard, as Rob C says above.

In fact, if you can do this, you should find it more reliable, as USB can be a bit unreliable if the machine is doing a lot of work (such as running a game).

UncleBooBoo
20-07-2005, 15:45
thanks for your help guys i shall add the other eithernet card to a spair pci slot later today ready for the sacm

penfolder
20-07-2005, 15:59
Just a quick comment - have had a wireless router working faultlessly with NTL BB using three machines for three months now and it is brilliant. speed feels the same for all three machines and set up under 5 mins. netgear kit - main machine ehternet cabled - otehr two wireless.

not so much crap as just does what it says on the tin - reliable and cost effective.

m

Neil
20-07-2005, 16:07
@Acoolwelshbloke-I've moved this thread to the correct forum, please see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31794 for more info.