PDA

View Full Version : Quick router question!

smicer07
17-07-2005, 20:08
Used to have an oldish wireless B router, a Linksys one (til I got turfed out of my own house :rolleyes: ) So now am looking for a new one. I don't have ADSL, I have NTL, so I only need the "router" bit. I've found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/qid=1121627286/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-6007179-5918260

which comes with a free usb adapter... the ADSL modem part won't affect my NTL connection though will it? As you can tell, I'm not particularly au fait with these things!

Raistlin
17-07-2005, 20:26
You need one without a built in modem mate.

Loads of good info here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74

I've got the Linksys WRT54G router :tu:

Very good router :)

smicer07
17-07-2005, 20:29
Jeez, thanks for the reply, was about to order it... thought it wouldn't matter that it was ADSL built in... might just stick with the Linksys...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002LHXB6/qid=1121628558/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_3_5/202-6007179-5918260

Raistlin
17-07-2005, 20:32
This is the one that I've got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/qid=1121628642/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/202-0453519-5306221

It's the straight 54Mb/s one. Not sure how good the Speedbooster thing is. The Linksys routers are pretty bullet proof though.

The other good thing about them is that there's plenty of people here that have them, so if you get any problems you should be ok for support ;)

smicer07
17-07-2005, 20:35
Anyone know if the speedbooster thing is worth the extra 10 quid?

MovedGoalPosts
17-07-2005, 21:07
Speed booster only really works if both the router and the wireless adaptor or whatever is attached to the PC are both speedbooster. Linksys will claim speedbooster shows improvement on non enabled kit, but I suspect it's marginal.

More to the point, unless you are doing a lot of stuff internally to yoru LAN (data transfer, etc) you are limited to the speed of your internet service, as that is currently much slower than the basic wireless Speedboost would show very little effect.

smicer07
17-07-2005, 22:09
Cheers, have ordered the one without speedbooster!

Raistlin
17-07-2005, 22:12
Nice one. If you need an help setting it up just post back.

The first thing to remember is that when you plug it in you need to turn everything off first.

Turn it all of (PC, Modem, Router)

Connect it all up (SACM > Ethernet > Router > Ethernet > PC)

Turn the modem on and wait for the lights to settle
Turn the router on and wait for the lights to settle
Turn the PC on

When you do that it should all work just fine, you will then need to go on and set up the security for the wireless bit.

Tezcatlipoca
17-07-2005, 23:32
Wireless security info: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435

smicer07
18-07-2005, 17:15
Just bought the one with Speedbooster for 49 quid from pc world, not a bad price I didn't think.

etccarmageddon
18-07-2005, 18:22
good price - and i'm here if you need my help.

Raistlin
18-07-2005, 18:23
^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^ :D

etccarmageddon
18-07-2005, 18:24
it can be a pain to get going because the linksys manual when I used it was incorrect at one point. the real pain is the start up - when you reboot it re-assigned the ip address from ntl and ntl also locks into the router's MAC address - removing the MAC address from ntl's database of the previous connected device (the pc).

I'm here if you get red in the face.

smicer07
18-07-2005, 22:08
I need help! It's doing what etccarmageddon says.. I do the set up wizard and as it gets near the end it can't connect to the internet and finish off, the IP of the desktop changes to a 192 one, but it can't connect to internet..

think I need to use the manual setup...

Raistlin
18-07-2005, 22:09
Is this the setup wizard on the NTL disc or on the Linksys one?

You should read the PM I sent you in response to the one you sent me.

I'll post it here for you:

You shouldn't need the setup disc for the router.

If you're on a stand alone modem:

Turn everything off.
Plug in Modem > Router > PC

Turn the modem on and wait for the lights to settle
Turn the router on and wait for the lights to settle
Turn the PC on

Your network connection should be set to obtain an IP address automatically, and IE (or whatever browser) should be set to use your LAN connection.

I had mine set up in under 5 minutes, without the disc. You really don't need it.

If you're still having problems after this post back in the thread you started and I'm sure we can get you sorted.

smicer07
18-07-2005, 22:12
Setup wizard is on the linksys CD.

Raistlin
18-07-2005, 22:13
Setup wizard is on the linksys CD.

Ok, ditch it and try what I suggested in my last post.

smicer07
18-07-2005, 22:42
Hmm not sure how, but it appears to be now working... I restarted and it didn't work, and was about to restart modem when I decided to repair the connection- appears to have done the trick. Just testing the wireless now!

Tezcatlipoca
18-07-2005, 22:44
Glad it's working :)

Don't forget to set up the wireless security!

Raistlin
18-07-2005, 22:48
Hmm not sure how, but it appears to be now working... I restarted and it didn't work, and was about to restart modem when I decided to repair the connection- appears to have done the trick. Just testing the wireless now!

Repairing the connection will have told your network card to obtain an IP from the router, the router will have obligingly (sp?) provided one :)

Glad it's working, now setup the wireless security ;)

smicer07
18-07-2005, 22:50
Is it best to use WEP? Do I do this on all computers/xbox? What are these passkey things (sorry i'm a newbie to all this practically!)

Raistlin
18-07-2005, 23:00
Do this from a wired connection.

Wireless > Wireless Security

Select WEP and 64 Bit (you really shouldn't need much more than that but you can use higher if you like)

Default transmit key > 1

Enter a passphrase and hit Generate

Make a not of the key that is in the Key 1 box

Save Settings.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right Click on your wireless connection and select Properties

Click on Wireless Networks and highlight your network, now click Properties

Network Authentication > shared
Data Encryption > WEP
In Network Key and the Confirm box enter the key that you wrote down earlier and then make sure that Key Index is set to 1.

Make sure that there isn't a tick in the "Key is provided for me" box.

Click Ok and then close all the open windows.

Now, disconnect the wired connection and try to connect wirelessly with a bit of luck it should all work.

If it doesn't you should be able to plug the cable back in and connect that way.

When you've done that we'll move on to MAC filtering ;)

etccarmageddon
19-07-2005, 07:15
and here's another tip, never turn it off or unplug it! last time I did that I had to reinstall it all in order to get it working.

Raistlin
19-07-2005, 13:18
and here's another tip, never turn it off or unplug it! last time I did that I had to reinstall it all in order to get it working.

That shouldn't happen.

Mine gets rebooted periodically and I don't have that problem at all....

smicer07
19-07-2005, 13:22
All seemed to be OK last night. Xbox played up for a bit but got that sorted now too :) Thanks for all the help- superb as usual :)

Raistlin
19-07-2005, 13:23
No prob's.

Did you get the wireless security enabled yet?

smicer07
19-07-2005, 13:37
I did the WEP thing last night but didn't have chance to do any more. Am at work at the moment, can you maybe help me setup the mac filtering, if I need to please?
Cheers.

Raistlin
19-07-2005, 13:45
Yep will do.

Not sure I'll be about tonight so I'll post the instructions in a minute or two so they're here for when you get home:

In a browser window:

192.168.1.1 to access the control panel for your router.

Wirless > Wireless MAC Filter

Wireless MAC Filter = Enable
Prevent = Blank
Permit Only = Selected

Click "Edit MAC Filter List"

A new window should pop up with a whole load of boxes. With a bit of luck only one of them will have a MAC address in. If that's the case scroll to the bottom and click "Save Settings" and then close the window. If there's more than one (assuming you are only using one wiress device) post back here for advice :)

Once the settings are changed, close the window.

Now click "Save Settings" on the router control panel window.

Click Continue

Now, click on the "Administration" link in the router CP.

Enter a password for your router and then re-enter it. Click "Save Settings".

Make a note of this password, you won't be able to get to your router CP without it!!!!!!

Set the "Remote Management" option to "Disabled".

The next time you try and log into your router's CP it will ask for a username and password. Leave the username blank and type in the password you just created. This step will stop other people from accessing the CP and changing the settings.

Any problems just post back :tu: