PDA

View Full Version : NTL connections

sailsail
13-07-2005, 17:19
I have NTL dial up on a separate phone. The TV aerial has a booster box in the loft but pictures to upstairs TV and office PC are poor/zero.(Not connected to NTL)
NTL want to install broadband but service engineer does not want to feed their coax through the roof space as the run is easier if they just go round the bottom of the house. The PC connection is diagonally opposite the existing point. I can run the cable but want to know if there is an easier way to connect to the computer and upstairs TV. ie firewire etc or satelite disc. I only want the free channels for the PC and other TV set.
Any advice greatfully received.
Regards
Sailsail.

MovedGoalPosts
13-07-2005, 18:43
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I'm slightly confused. You have an existing TV terrestrial aerial setup via a roofspace booster box. If that is giving a poor signal either the aerial itself is misaligned, the booster isn't working properly, or there isa defective connection. That will be nothing to do with ntl's forthcoming installation.

You are nowhaving broadband installed. That will provide an internet connection for your computer, but will have no impact on your TV services. I assume you are not getting a ntl TV service.

I can understand the ntl engineer's reluctance to run cables all over the house. They will always want to take the easiest, simplest (and safest for them) route. You could speak nicely to the installation engineer, and get him to provide you with a much longer cable than is needed. That way you can pull it all through yourself after he has gone (just don't disturb the connector at the end as these are diificult to makereliably).

The alternative if the broadband modem location cannot be run close to where you need it would be to put a wireless router or access point (access point is OK if you only will ever have one PC), by the router, and fit a wireless adaptor to your PC.

spike7451
13-07-2005, 20:07
If you dont have a NTL T.V service,then you are not entitled to ANY channels,free or paid for.The route the engineer suggested sounds to me he wants to run externally from the Omni box around to the PC point upstairs back.Running cables thru a attic is'nt always possible for a number of reasons,ie low or blocked eaves,risk of asbestos,ect (imagine doing a job at 9 am & then itching all day from the loft insulation that got on your clothes,NTL dont supply overalls!take it from me,it's bloody uncomfortable!!)
Also,as you dont have NTL tv,the engineer is nder no obligation to connect into your pc or tv,(partly because we dont get paid to run tv extensions) and IF you bugger around with the connections,trying to connect the tv yourself,using non-NTL stuff,you will cause yourself more headaches ,like your modem dropping off or slow ect.This will be due to as the tech will have adjusted the signal levels,when you splice into that connection,you'll cause signal degredation,ingress & egress of noise onto the network which will effect not just you,but other people too.
Spike

anduin
14-07-2005, 16:26
Just as you can use internet wireless, you can also have Wireless AV senders.

Look it up .. that way you get NTL on all your TV's in the house without messing about.

sailsail
15-07-2005, 15:11
Hi Spike,Anduin & Rob,
Many thanks for you feed back on my aerial set up etc.
I unfortunately did not make myself too clear, when explaing my situation.I hope the following is more constructive.(call it a senior moment)
1)The house is 7 years old and a TV terrestrial aerial was fitted at time of build, with a booster in the loft feeding 7 outlets.
2)We only use 3 extensions, 1-main TV, 1 bed TV and 1 PC.
3)NTL fitted 1TV/radio point in the lounge plus 2 telephone lines.(1 dedicated to the PC)at that time.
4) I installed a booster by the NTL point to feed the bed TV and PC.This booster sends a signal up the existing TV point in the lounge to the loft and returns down to the bed TV and PC. All other leads are disconnected. This was done because the area signal is extremely poor. Most people have dishes.
5)My question is therefore: Is it best to get a satelite dish rather than another NTL box for the bedroom TV and PC. As Broadband appears to be a must now, I can run a cable for NTL and they can connect, whilst also disconnecting one telephone line. However, would it not be simpler to run a wireless route from the exisiting NTL point to feed both upstairs TV and the PC. Why is it necessary to run an NTL co-oax cable to the PC for broadband, as I thought this comes through the telephone line.
Cheers sailsail

spike7451
15-07-2005, 15:57
NTL and AOL cable (which we also install for them) runs thru the NTL tv system,NOT the phone line!(if i had a quid for each time someone was getting B.B installed & they said to me"there's the phone point.!,I'd be up to about £500 by now!lol) You cant run a wireless feed for NTL tv unless you get a video sender,downside is you'd have to watch what's being watched downstairs.I would also advise against running the catv feed yourself UNLESS you can get hold of some of our coax cable (the stuff from hardware stores is no good as the signal loss can be too great & you cant use our 'F' type fittings on them,whisch can cause signal ingress/egress & put noise onto the network which will interfare with your B.Band service).
Best bet,if the B.Band & tv are in the same room,get a second NTL box in ,2 reasons; with Sky,after 12 months if the Sky box goes faulty...tough! you'll have to fork out £65 call out & about £100 for a new box.
With us,we'el replace it.
Spike

tridens
15-07-2005, 20:09
Hi
This must sound stupid but dont know how ntl works i used to have ntl phone the socket is still installed im thinking of geting the tv only Do ntl use the phone socket and cable for tv or install new cable and socket :dunce: :dunce:
thanks

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 20:16
The TV and/or broadband is supplied via a heavy duty coaxial cable. This will usually connect directly to the cable modem or TV Set Top Box. Rarely will there be a wall socket (another connection that can result in interference).

Phone has a separate smaller thin multistranded wire.

If you only have a phone line now, a new cable will need to be installed from the junction box outside your house to wherever you intend to have your TV (it does not have to be next to the ntl phone point).

tridens
15-07-2005, 21:10
It would be better if it came through the phone point as its behind the tv the ntl eng drilled straight through the wall and fed the cable through no junction box outside the cable comes straight out of the ground through the wall

spike7451
15-07-2005, 22:40
In which case the CATV feed is most likely in the riser guard or the toby in the footpath.The cable cant come in thru the phone as it's too thick & will need to be terminated.They'll most likely cone in next to the phone socket & mount the Isolator there.
Spike
Oh & i think you have to take the phone as well.

tridens
19-07-2005, 00:55
If i have to take the phone thats killed that idea as iwant to keep the phone line and my broadband

sailsail
23-07-2005, 10:34
This one is for Spike 7451.

Spike,
Further to recent chat, would I be correct in purchasing the latest sky digital approved satelite cable from tlc-direct.co.uk. Cable ref CAPF100B to run over my roof space and down to the computer. Is NTL still a different spec than this.
If ok NTL can then connect up the extension system.
Cheers sailsail

spike7451
23-07-2005, 13:29
This one is for Spike 7451.

Spike,
Further to recent chat, would I be correct in purchasing the latest sky digital approved satelite cable from tlc-direct.co.uk. Cable ref CAPF100B to run over my roof space and down to the computer. Is NTL still a different spec than this.
If ok NTL can then connect up the extension system.
Cheers sailsail
Might work but our cable is solid cored & shielded from ingress/egrees of interfearance.Thats not to say that a bad connector cant cause you trouble as well.Stay away from the 'cheap' stuff tho.
Best bet is if you see a NTL van,get a whack of co-ax from the engineer.