PDA

View Full Version : New 1MB BB Installation - Saturday

mchu6am4
12-07-2005, 20:16
Hi,

I'm having BB installed this coming Saturday.

Is there anything I need to do or know before that so that everything goes smoothly?

Thanks in advance, Ash

Jules
12-07-2005, 20:44
Just check on Friday that they are actually coming Saturday ;)

anduin
13-07-2005, 10:14
better still check now that they are going to arrive sometime on saturday, then check again tomorrow, then check again ...... you get the point?

Chris
13-07-2005, 10:21
Make sure you know exactly where you want your computer setup to be and have some idea where you want him to run the cable to get to it. Bear in mind that he will probably be very reluctant to do anything under floorboards or in your loft space and if you live in a terrace it may prove difficult to place the wall socket in a room at the back of the house (assuming it's the street out front that's cabled).

And never forget the true wisdom when having any kind of installer or technician vising your house - keep him well oiled with tea and cherry bakewells, it makes him far more likely to go the extra mile for you. ;)

Chris W
13-07-2005, 17:09
before the engineer leaves make sure that the "sync" and "ready" lights are steady on the modem- otherwise you won't be able to register. :)

mchu6am4
13-07-2005, 22:07
Many thanks for very helpful replies. This is my plan:

The street is cabled at the front and I have a PC (my brother's) in there.

I have MY PC in the loft (loft conversion). My plan was to have it installed in the front room and then wirelessly (through wireless router etc.) take it to the loft, as my PC in the loft has wireless.

My brother's PC is not wireless but is close enough to have BB connection through cabled ethernet port.

I guess I will not need his PC switched on to access BB in the loft on my PC?

Is the plan feasible and does it make sense or am I on the wrong track all together?

Thanks in advance, Ash

MovedGoalPosts
13-07-2005, 22:11
If you are connecting wirelessly, using a wireless router between the cable modem and all the PCs, no PCs need to be on. There are lots of threads on here regarding how to choose, setup and secure wireless routers. I suggest in particular you look at the various Articles (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?c=3).

mchu6am4
14-07-2005, 19:44
I'm thinking of buying the Linksys WRT54GS broadband router. What sort of wireless range will it support.

I live in a mature 3 bed stone terraced. The router will be installed in the front room of ground floor and I'd like to be able to connect to it via my built-in wireless connection in the loft (2nd floor).

Would I be ok for this???

Ash

mchu6am4
15-07-2005, 12:32
I'm thinking of buying the Linksys WRT54GS broadband router. What sort of wireless range will it support.

I live in a mature 3 bed stone terraced. The router will be installed in the front room of ground floor and I'd like to be able to connect to it via my built-in wireless connection in the loft (2nd floor).

Would I be ok for this???

Ash
Anybody any ideas about the above?

nibbles
15-07-2005, 13:42
Anybody any ideas about the above? it's difficult 2 say untill u get it setup any number of things can arse it up. got 1 pc upstair and another downstairs in the back room wireless works fine but it doesn't work well on my laptop in the front room with a heavy wall in between, 3Com wireless setup thought dunno bout any ova!

maverick
15-07-2005, 13:51
Hi,

I'm having BB installed this coming Saturday.

Is there anything I need to do or know before that so that everything goes smoothly?

Thanks in advance, Ash

Please note

New Cable Modem and Dial up Internet Customers
If you are a new ntl internet customer and have not registered your service yet, you will be unable to register until the afternoon of Wednesday july 20th 2005 as we will be upgrading our billing system during this period. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause

Thank you for your patience while we make these improvements.

mchu6am4
16-07-2005, 14:34
They turned up @ 9:30am today. Couldn't perform full installation because we've recently had our garden wall built and the access point is underneath it.

However, they've connected it to next door neighbours box until they can put a cable through my garden, for which they'll come back again.

As 'maverick' stated above, I cannot register until Wednesday afternoon due to some billing upgrades (I wonder whether this upgrade is to enforce/monitor CAPs etc?)

I asked the guy whether they were merging with NTL and he said they already have!

Ash

Kliro
16-07-2005, 15:33
Hey, don't wanna hijack, but didnt seem worthy of anouther thread, I have an install due for the 29/07 (seems like a long way away :() is there any way of getting bumped in the list or whatever??

Tia

mchu6am4
16-07-2005, 19:15
Hey, don't wanna hijack, but didnt seem worthy of anouther thread, I have an install due for the 29/07 (seems like a long way away :() is there any way of getting bumped in the list or whatever??

Tia

Try ringing up NTL - ( i like your avatar:) )

Ash

Chris W
17-07-2005, 20:39
I wonder whether this upgrade is to enforce/monitor CAPs etc?)

nope. it is related to the customer management system- nothing to do with caps!

Tia

ntl would have offered you the first available install... however there may be some cancellations, or extra install techs scheduled to work before then so may be worth giving ntl a call and asking if they have any more dates available :)

Stephen
17-07-2005, 21:11
As 'maverick' stated above, I cannot register until Wednesday afternoon due to some billing upgrades (I wonder whether this upgrade is to enforce/monitor CAPs etc?)

I asked the guy whether they were merging with NTL and he said they already have!

Ash

No the system that is being upgraded is the one that we use for cust accounts, this also means I am not able to do a lot of work over the next few days:D

You were asking the NTL guy if they were merging with NTL??

spike7451
17-07-2005, 23:15
Anybody any ideas about the above?
if NTL offer you the 'Actiontec' wireless rt,...RUN!!!!! they are ST1TE!!!!
Spike