PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of using the NTL house moving team?

anduin
12-07-2005, 17:50
Oh and how NTL have excelled themselves today...

The story ( or is that saga ) so far for anyone who is interested ......

1st July
Expecting house move completion today, had some bad luck with house moves in the last few years so not wanting to jinx it dont speak to NTL about house moves until its happened.

4th July
Today is Monday, been moving house all weekend so now its time to call all my suppliers and get the services shifted over.

Sky arrange TV install for Tuesday 12th july -
Benefits include:
Free install
Free Minidish
No Extension of contract
One person deals with entire process - 5 minute call.

NTL (Karen in house moves )say house move will happen on Tuesday 12th july -
Benefits of sticking with NTL instead of going ADSL:
Free install
Keep same email accounts that i have had for 5 years+

So this sounds like Fun.. get everything installed on the same day - woot welcome to the 21st century.

11th July
Sky engineer calls me at 8pm to tell me that he will arrive tomorrow between 12 and 2 ( lunchtime )

12th July
Today comes .. boy am i excited ( sad yes .. but i dont get out much ;) )

Sky arrive shortly after 12, install done - glad he didnt bump into the NTL guy as i didnt want them fighting in the living rooom ;)
one down .. one to go.....

4pm or so and no NTL ..hmm wonder if they are running late - lets call to find out...

Got through to people eventually and to my absolute horror am told that my booking wasnt made - someone having a giglle? no laughs yet so i presume not.

It all gets passed to a lady called Jess in customer relations ( after apparently being escalated to local fitters TL and the house moves MD ) .. "i'll call you back before 5pm" hmm .. ok cool

4:59 and no call yet so i use the direct line phone number and ask for Jess... Jess promises me she was about to call but has no further news.. Jess also tells me that if i want i can book on my cancellation right now, then preceeds to tell me about how its 5pm and her department is closed so she refuses to read her emails and gives me another number to call - THANKS JESS THEY ARE CLOSED TOO!

Call the normal 0800 phone line and chose option 5 - get through to another chap who understands that i am a little frustratd by now... immediately apologise that if i start to get shouty to ask me to stop as i dont mean it directly against him.

After discussing my bewilderment with NTL with him for 15 mins or so he offers to put in a complaint for me which i take him up on. Also promises me i will get a call tomorrow to advise of whats happening. - This guy sounds genuine - hope i dont get let down again.

So .. this is where i am at right now ..

No phone; no internet; but at least i have sky+

The question now begs in my head - do i tell NTL to ram their services for the 3 accounts i have with them ( thats 3 addresses each with two services or more each )?

one thing is for sure - I am gonna post this appauling story on NThellworld website and every other forum i find NTL being discussed.

Moral of the story:

If you are moving just cancel your services and have a new install at the new address. It takes no longer and you can get better deals - sure wish i did !

Jules
12-07-2005, 18:19
You can also tell NTL what you think about them here ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ntl.php

And welcome to the forum :waving:

Angua
12-07-2005, 18:42
having moved with NTL 3 times without any hitch (admittedly to an already cabled house) the only thing I can put your problems down to is not giving enough notice. I always gave 2 weeks notice and everything was sorted out rather nicely (only once was there a couple of days wait to have my number transfered).
Hope your problems are resolved soon. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif

Neil
12-07-2005, 19:36
having moved with NTL 3 times without any hitch (admittedly to an already cabled house) the only thing I can put your problems down to is not giving enough notice. I always gave 2 weeks notice and everything was sorted out rather nicely (only once was there a couple of days wait to have my number transfered).
Hope your problems are resolved soon. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif

If that was the case then ntl should have told the OP that, instead of agreeing to do the move. :rolleyes:

The question now begs in my head - do i tell NTL to ram their services for the 3 accounts i have with them ( thats 3 addresses each with two services or more each )?

I think you already know the answer to that one. ;)

:welcome: to the site too.

anduin
13-07-2005, 08:18
Well apparently they will call me this morning - Presumably to to fob me off till sometime next week for the install.

I just used the NTL feedback link - thanks for that ( although i am sure my message will go straihgt to the bit-bin. )

Had it not been for the last person i spoke to at NTL last night i think i would already be queing for disconnections right now.

They have one last chance i suppose - install it today... I dont think thats unreasonable since it was their ( KAREN's ) mistake.

jonbr
14-07-2005, 08:15
Sky arrange TV install for Tuesday 12th july -
Benefits include:
Free install
Free Minidish
No Extension of contract
One person deals with entire process - 5 minute call.

anduin, you were lucky with Sky, they now "arrange for an engineer to reconnect you for a small charge", according to their web site and customer service dept.:rolleyes:

anduin
14-07-2005, 08:21
Yeah they do,

I was actually calling them to terminate and get my finances level after the move before taking any TV options, the free house move was a gesture of good will to keep me as a subscriber. :)

pmdelany
18-07-2005, 12:08
I had exactly the same problem, phoned the week I was moving, managed to arange an engineer for the day I moved as it required broadband, 2nd phone and tele. Engineer didn't show. Made the mistake of moving on a Friday so couldn't get hold of anyone until Monday. Then told they couldn't get anyone with me until the following Saturday.

No-one was ever able to give me a reson for the no-show other than the engineer had morked it as complete.

Paul

Strzelecki
18-07-2005, 12:32
Well I just tried calling NTL to cancel my broadband as I'm moving house and will be able to go for F2S's 8Meg service for the same price I pay for 2 meg with NTL. Oh I can't cancel until the billing system is sorted out on Thursday, how convenient! Can any NTL people confirm this or was I being fibbed off? I got a note put on my account to say I had rung to give 30 days notice. I don't want to take my NTL service with me as my last move was messed up (another long story).

Neil
18-07-2005, 12:56
Well I just tried calling NTL to cancel my broadband as I'm moving house and will be able to go for F2S's 8Meg service for the same price I pay for 2 meg with NTL. Oh I can't cancel until the billing system is sorted out on Thursday, how convenient! Can any NTL people confirm this or was I being fibbed off? I got a note put on my account to say I had rung to give 30 days notice. I don't want to take my NTL service with me as my last move was messed up (another long story).

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/176/ntl-upgrades-its-customer-billing-system

Strzelecki
18-07-2005, 13:03
Fair enough, thought I'd read it somewhere, suppose I come under 'Any other account related changes'. I wonder whether the changes will make it any easier, with staff getting to grips with the new system.

Angua
20-07-2005, 16:18
NTL are due to install BB, TV and telephone on tuesday next at a friends new place (ground floor flat) will let you know if she has problems.

Angua
27-07-2005, 00:27
Well that was a waste of time for my mate!!!!! :mad:

No body showed up and as she was shifting between houses left a note with a contact number (she was only just round the corner as she is not moving far) as she had to check they hadn't gone to her old place. No call nothing!:afire:

So she will be contacting them later.:erm:

Will keep you advised.

BTW its Oxfordshire area.

Angua
31-07-2005, 17:59
My move has been booked for some time and they were supposed to put it all
in last Tuesday. They didn't come.

Wednesday, I rang, to be told that the ''systems were down'' the girl said
someone would ring me with progress report the next day. Nothing
happened!!

Friday, I rang again - they told me that the week before, when they were
''up-grading'' everyone, they basically blew themselves up and so people had
been booking things in by hand. So they had over-booked themselves.
So....................................... mine could not be done until
...................................11th
AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I was not that happy. But she said nothing could be done, except
to offer me two months free on all systems. I explained to her that I am
sitting here with NO phone, NO telly and NO computer ( even though at the
mo I can still get in the old house to use the computer only, as now. But
on Thursday this week, I have GOT to hand the keys in - she didn't know
that).

So, after this Thursday, I will be on a dessert
island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my mates own words, the disaster of an NTL move, West Oxfordshire area!:mad::afire::grind::fit::wtf:

xathras
31-07-2005, 23:33
I find it easier to 1) ensure you have given at least 14 days 2) always ring to check that its been booked 3) always take names of people who have booked it.

if it also goes pie shaped threaten to cancel all your services and it will be sorted asap

Angua
01-08-2005, 09:08
My mate would have organised NTL as soon as she had a moving in date. What is the most upsetting about the whole thing is that she has been with NTL since they took over Comtel (so, right from the start). She was also one of the first to take up digital TV and BB (a loyal customer indeed).

anduin
01-08-2005, 09:38
Slight update to my original post...

Thursday 14th July...
get a call from one of the engineers asking if he can install today instead of the booked date tomorrow - of course i didnt say no.

I gte home at 6pm ish after work to find a new NTL250 blue sitting there and what would appear to be a cabled house.

This is where it gets to be fun.... connect the 250 and no connection - 'mac address' i thought ... so i toodle off to registrations page .. not working .. hmm

Call support - they advise me to go to some house_moves url ... ok no probs .. part from when i put in my account details fo rthe house move they are incorrect... Not only are they on the wrong address - but they are two addresses old ( laymans terms thats nearly 3 years out of date )

Support explain that they cant do a thing until house moves have corrected my information on the system - they then tell me that the system dies at 8pm and wont breathe again until hell freezes over ( slight exaturation i know.. but thats how it feels without my whooshband )

So i get dropped into some customer services / house moving team queue .. . waiting .. waiting ... waiting ... still waiting about 20 mins later ..
7:45 ish and someone answers - now this isnt a racist comment but when i have a problem to be fixed in a short period of time i dont need to be explaining the same sentence 20 times to somebody whose use of the english language does not deter from the script... needless to say at 8:03 pm they finally grasped the nature of the call and started to look at their systems... ''oops mr baker my system has gone down .. the servers have gone down .. call back when your son is 42 years old'' ( i cant resist the exaturations sorry )

Now as you can probably guess i am exstatic by this news - it cheered me up to know i wasnt going to have internet for about a week - so much so that i advised the person whom i was speaking to at NTL at how impressed i was. /END SARCASM .. i was livid, demanded to speak to his supervisor or whoever.... after a short delay on hold (sarcasm again ..i know...sorry) ws told his supervisor / manager was too busy ..

''too busy huh? maybe you better get him on the phone or get an engineer to come pick up your equipment from outside my house before it rains.. i hear cable modems dont play nicely with rainstorms"

Now what confuses me a little is the fact that this sentence was understood better than any of my problems, i wonder if it is used more frequently? .. another spell on hold and his manager comes onto the phone .. this guy was a one sentence pony ...
''i will arrange your disconnection tomorrow''
hmm no .. i want it working
no you wont .. i want to know what can be done

/SKIP A FEW MINUTES

I begin get too annoyed to refrain myself so decide to finish the call before i start to get abusive....

Get off the phone and scratch my head a little ...
house move not done properly...
still got old cable modem ...
didnt move too far ..
hmm //... what the heck .. lets blast the old silver cable modem on and see what happens...

hey presto i have working internet ..

Why on earth didnt somebody with knowledge of the system at ntl tell me to do this .. it would have saved me a good hour or so, and would have definately saved the next person i speak to at NTL an ear bashing.

Jeez,

I guess i ave a new moral of the story here ...

when all else fails ignore what customer services say and fiddle with your own equipment.

Maybe an NTL employee hwo may be reading this would like to give me a call to arrange my new cable modem mac to work .. and collection of the older cable modem.. One thing is for sure .. i aint calling them.

please moderators dont edit this .. i can be called on
(yes i know the risks of putting my mobile number on here.. yes i also know i will get prank calls and sms etc )

Mick
01-08-2005, 12:45
Hi anduin,

Sorry but I have had to edit your phone number out of the post above. ntl/TW staff members who help out here do so voluntarily and are not in a position to contact customers via telephone in an official capacity.

If you want me to escalate this problem for you to ntl, please send me an e-mail by clicking here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=1) and provide me with some details. (Name & Contact number) Thanks. :)

anduin
01-08-2005, 13:36
Email sent Mick,

thanks .. I mean othing personal when i say i will be posting here the outcomes :)