PDA

View Full Version : VPN setup using Netgear FVS318

E=mc2
12-07-2005, 15:21
I'm trying to setup a VPN between 2 offices using Netgear FVS318v3 at both ends. There is also an Actiontec ADSL modem at each end. The Actiontec is configured as a router and each site uses static IP addresses. The Actiontec LAN address is 192.168.0.1 and the 'WAN' address of the Netgears is 192.168.0.2. There are different LAN subnets at each site. If I configure the VPN using 'Main mode' I have to use the WAN IP address as the local & remote identifiers. In this case, the tunnel gets partly setup but hangs for a while in the state 'INIT_ID_WAIT'. Is this mode having a problem as the 'apparent' WAN address is not the same as the 'real' WAN address? If I configure the VPN using 'Aggressive mode' which enables me to use different local & remote ID's but again, the VPN won't come up. This time I think the state hangs in AM_SA_WAIT or someting similar.

Any help appreciated.

MovedGoalPosts
12-07-2005, 18:34
You are using internal IP addys - the 192.168.xx.xx format is internal to your own network.

You need to identify and use the IP addys of the ADSL modems, as seen by the internet. Your ISP will have told you those numbers if your ADSL uses fixed IP addresses tot he telecoms networks. If the ISP issues your IP addys to the actiontec dynamically, you will have to find some way of ensuring they stay fixed, maybe by third party web software or sites.

E=mc2
13-07-2005, 09:33
I don't think I explained the situation in enough detail in the first post. I understand about private and public addresses. The ADSL modem is acting as a router. It picks up the public address and has a LAN address of 192.168.0.1. The FVS318 'WAN' address is 192.168.0.2 and it's LAN is 192.168.1.1 (/24). I'm wondering if the VPN problem is due to the fact that the tunnel end-points (the public addresses) are not the same as the FVS318 WAN addresses.

floweracre
26-06-2012, 10:40
IS this easy to set up? We have 2 offices, one on a cable link (DSL) and the other on ADSL.

Does the Netgear FSV318 sit behind the routers and effectivly plug into the routers to create the tunnel?

Waldo Pepper
26-06-2012, 18:05
http://vpncasestudy.com/

This is the best VPN config site I have come across. It gives very straight forward advice on setting up.

No problem with my FVG318 and Shrewsoft VPN client.

It appears to contain details about your VPN.