PDA

View Full Version : New Wireless Connection - problems downloading

8ball
12-07-2005, 11:05
I am new to this forum and not very technical with computers - I trust someone can help me:

I have recently purchased the ACTIONTEC 54mbps cable/DSL router which was recommended by NTL.

I have a 1MB Broadband connection with NTL

I have one PC connected from the set top box , through the Router - then via an ethernet connection. This PC is working just fine - no problems at all. This PC O/S is Windows 98 SE

The second PC is connected with the USB Wireless Receiver. On this second PC, the O/S is a recently installed Windows 2000 professional. Before trying to install the broadband, on a slow dial up I tried to do all the windows 2000 updates - I was able to do the update for direct X and for IE6, but half way through downloading Service Pack 4, it would not let me download anymore.

I mention this because I wonder if my problem is any missing drivers that could be in Service Pack 4.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

The wireless receiver does receive the signal from router - and I am able to get onto the internet. I can stay on line for even hours if I only want to surf simple web pages, read emails, go on a forum like this, etc...

BUT IF I TRY TO SAY WATCH A MUSIC VIDEO OR DOWNLOAD A LARGE FILE, I will be cut off the internet.

Although I see the wireless is scanning to try and re-connect, it will not.
The only way I can re-connect is to re-boot the compputer.

The signal strength is quite good - at times I see it says 54mbps excellent.
I have tried changing channels - but same problem.

I disabled the WEP and I have no other anti virus/firewalls that I am aware of.

Can anyone help?????

Paul K
12-07-2005, 11:10
Have you checked to make sure that the USB port isn't being switched off to save power?

Raistlin
12-07-2005, 11:20
It sounds like your USB adaptor simply isn't capable of the sustained transfer of data that is required to download the sorts of files that are causing it to fail.

You could rule out any possibility of it being your machine by doing the following:

First, try the USB device in a different machine and see if you can reproduce the problems that you are having.
Then, try downloading the same files via a wired connection between your machine and the router.

You also need to eliminate the router as a possible cause, you will need to wire on of the machines (preferably the faulty one) to your STB direct and see if you still get problems. Remember that when you do this you will be very exposed as you are currently operating without a firewall on that machine.

If you can identify the USB device as a cause you will need to start looking at different options - a dedicated wireless PCI card might be the answer.

8ball
12-07-2005, 11:36
i am not sure what u mean by STB

I am also a bit concerned about doing anything to my one PC that is working just fine - If I hook up the 2nd PC directly into the router, when I want to hook back the 1st PC will any settings have been altered??

grandmaster
12-07-2005, 11:49
STB = Set top box

Raistlin
12-07-2005, 12:00

I am also a bit concerned about doing anything to my one PC that is working just fine - If I hook up the 2nd PC directly into the router, when I want to hook back the 1st PC will any settings have been altered??

Sorry, my bad.

STB = Set Top Box

Does your router not have more than one connection on it? If it does you should be able to have both machines wired into it at once.....maybe...

Paul K
12-07-2005, 12:05

Sorry, my bad.

STB = Set Top Box

Does your router not have more than one connection on it? If it does you should be able to have both machines wired into it at once.....maybe...
Only one ethernet port on that model I think.
(if it's this (http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.html?quicklinx=36vx&familyid=0) one.)

8ball
12-07-2005, 12:51
Thanks for your reply. What you say about USB makes alot of sense.

I called up Actiontec retailer and explained that on that PC I happened to have an ethernet port - so they are going to send me a different router and an ETHERNET (rather than USB) wireless adapter.

I am hoping that this will solve problem as I agree with what u have said - the USB does not seem capable of taking all the data for large files.

However, this should be no problem at all for the ethernet.

Thanks again

correct - only 1 ethernet port on the router i have at moment.

The new one I am getting will have 4 ethernet ports - which i understand is good if someone has a laptop - they can just hook up directly to the router.

Also I want to put a PC in an adjoing room to where the router is - this one I will do WIRED (plug it directly into the router) as all i will have to do is run an ethernet cable around the skirting board - drill a hole through the wall for the cable, and the PC will be located just on other side of wall.

These wireless ethernet adapters are a bit expensive - perhaps Actiontec not the cheapest around - but they CLAIM there stuff is designed specifically for NTL.

Is true - or - should I look for a better deal somewhere else??