PDA

View Full Version : outputting a S-Video signal from digital STB

deadbydawn
03-10-2003, 15:34
I have been trying in vain to connect my STB output to my computer for high quality captures.

I have various scart to S-Video converters that I know work as I have tested using my DVD player.

I have played with the settings in the stb TV screen settings menu (ex-cwc pace), using both the RGB output, which I know should be able to carry the S-Video signal, and the composite picture signal.

At the moment I have it all hooked up using composite connectors and RGB signal, and although the quality is good, I know I can get better.

When I connect my TV or my computer using S-Video, (which both happily accept S-Video signals) I get the usual black and white flickered display, synonymous with either wrong output mode selected or incompatible hardware at either end of the connection.

Now as the STB has the capability to output RGB, at least from the settings given, what am I missing to get a true RGB signal out of the scart socket of the STB to input as S-Video in either my computer or TV??

Many thanks in advance for any replies to this topic.

altis
03-10-2003, 15:48
The SCART 'standard' is a right hotch-potch. It can carry video in RGB, s-video or composite formats - but not necessarily all of them. Your SCART to s-video adaptor is probably nothing more than a simple connector converter. Whether it works or not will depend on what the STB/DVD is pumping out. I know that some STBs support s-video but theses are uncommon. If the menu doesn't have an option to output s-video then the box probably can't do it.

If this is the case then you'll need a converter with some electronics in such as this (http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/search.asp?keyword=av03423)

Dooby
07-10-2003, 14:54
RGB is when the picture is sent as 3 seperate components, red green and blue,
composite is where it is sent as one single 'composite' signal,
svideo is in between, the picture is sent as 2 signals, luminence and chromiance(sp?) which are basically brightness and colour.
I am not sure what you are trying to do, but RGB is NOT the same as SVideo, you can't output RGB from the STB and use a cable adapter to convert it to svideo a 'scart to svideo' adapter just wires the svideo pins of a scart lead to a standard svideo plug, it doesnt convert the signal..