PDA

View Full Version : help with wired /wireless network sharing

nohandle
10-07-2005, 00:29
Any Help would be Appreciated. and sorry about the length.

After NTL's latest upgrade my router (a belkin) gave up the ghost and refused to accept any communication from my wireless network or from anything connected to it by ethernet.
The cable modem also would not connect to the NTL server despite frequent rebootings. even when connected directly to a PC.

My network of one Pc Connected to the router via ethernet and two via wireless has been pretty stable for the last year and when the internet connection crashed resetting the modem would restore service.

After borrowing a brand new linksys router there is still a similar problem in that pc's conected with ethernet can access the internet but wireless connections cannot.

Information on my systems
1. The specific issue is that my wireless connection cannot share the NTL connection

1a. There is no time this is prevalent.

1b. As of posting this has been happening for a week

2. I dont have cable TV

3. I have contacted tech support. Who say they dont support routers or home networking. they also would not tell me the host and domain names for NTL which linksys say may be needed for cable modems.

4. I've tried the following, saving and reseting after each.
i. Cloning my mac address to that of my ethernet card
ii. setting a static IP address
iii. Changing the channel the wireless devices operate on
iv. Adding a network key
v. changing my networks name from the standard one
vi. setting my router to only accept authenticated MAC addresses (from my network), also making sure the router was set to mixed mode.
vii. Disabling my firewall.
viii. seting up my linksys router via http://192.168.1.1

None of these has had any effect and only the wired connection can access the internet.

5a. Im in marlow, Buckinghamshire and the server that i connect to is in winnersh. DNS 194.168.8.100
IP Mod Edit (Matt D) - IP address removed

b. on the wired computer the o/s is windows XP professional on the two wireless PC's one has windows XP professional and the other has windowsXP home.

C. My network setup is as follows.
NTL HOME 200 cable modem connected via ethernet to
Linksys WRT54GS broadband router
one pc connected to port 2 of router
two pc's using wireless USB Devices. linksys WUSB22 v2.6

d. this problem is occuring on both of the wireless PCs

e. All computers are running sygate personal firewall which was disabled prior to the attempts at troubleshooting.

trace route
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.126]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1

2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.152.39.254

3 9 ms 8 ms 7 ms rdng-t2cam1-b-ge93.inet.ntl.com [62.253.122.133]

4 7 ms 7 ms 9 ms winn-t2core-b-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com [62.253.121.129]

5 8 ms 7 ms 64 ms win-bb-b-so-320-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.184.117]

6 9 ms 9 ms 10 ms pop-bb-a-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.201]

7 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms tele-ic-2-so-010-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.86]

8 10 ms 13 ms 9 ms ntl-ge2-8.prt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.217]

9 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms 212.58.238.129

10 18 ms 10 ms 9 ms www26.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.126]
Trace complete.

nffc
10-07-2005, 00:36
i wouldn't post your ip...

could be a WPA issue, check the security settings aren't blocking the connection. You can connect to the RJ45s on the same wireless router?

update the firmware on the router and get the latest drivers for the cards...

i'd also be inclined to have a play with the router's dhcp settings too :)

MovedGoalPosts
10-07-2005, 00:44
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I'm sure that we can sort all this out somehow.

The good news is you have a wired connection via the router. Thus you know the router, and Cable Modem are working correctly, it's just wireless that is the issue.

As you have now spent some time setting up and probably conflicting and confusing the setups on your wireless PCs, I would recommend a complete uninstall, including any drivers loaded. Concentrate on just the one first of all. I'd also recommend you do a complete reset of the router and USB devices so you know where you are.

Once reset get the wired connection up an running first before fiddling with anything wireless.

Once you have done that, make sure that when you run the linksys install CDs, you let the IP address of the PCs be obtained automatically.

I doubt you need to know the DNS of NTL, once you have identified the router and wireless network using the setup CD wizards for the USB devices it should work OK?

JohnHorb
10-07-2005, 08:57
It may be that the lack of internet access is a red herring - can your wireless PCs talk to each other, or to the router? (i.e. can they browse to the router setup page - 192.168.1.1

If not, may be a security setting (WEP or WAP).

bob_a_builder
10-07-2005, 09:20
I have WRT54G too,

no need for any setting from NTL
leave host name an domain name ( on linksys setup) blank
no need for mac address cloning, use DHCP

But you say its working via wired PC's so thats not an issue now

Try setting wireless up without security first, once that is going set WEP or WPA up, then disable SSID broadcasts

Get latest drivers for everthing.
I had a silly with the card for my laptop, worked fine without security, but as soon as that was enabled everthing stopped, got latest driver for card and all worked well.

nohandle
10-07-2005, 14:11
Thanks for you help everyone. I'm now on the net from my wireless connection.
It was a drivers issue in the end.
Just installed the latest ones and everything works now

nffc
10-07-2005, 19:03
Thanks for you help everyone. I'm now on the net from my wireless connection.
It was a drivers issue in the end.
Just installed the latest ones and everything works now

glad you sorted it... and feel free to stick around here!