PDA

View Full Version : NTL - network - router - Help

Xev
08-07-2005, 16:30
Im having great difficulty setting up a network with ntl for 2 computers. Whenver I activate my network ntl stops working. As soon as I disable the network my internet comes straight back online.

I've now bought a router hoping this would solve the problem, but i cant get internet access via the router.
When I follow the router cd it says I need internet connection prior to installation.

I think the problem may be, I have the broadband installed for a usb but need to change it to ethernet. I unplugged the blue usb adapter and the ethernet straight into my computer but no internet access.
I tried reinstalling with the NTL cd, but it says I need to delete the usb internet drivers. However I cannot delete those drivers as an error message prevents me from doing so "cannot delete, needed for system boot"

Any suggestions?

grandmaster
08-07-2005, 16:36
how are you "disabling" your network?

First of all i would get the ethernet working on your sacm.
Then tackle adding a network issue.

(do you have a firewall enabled?)

Chris
08-07-2005, 16:42
It might be as simple as powering down your SACM after removing the USB cable and before inserting the e-net.

GeoffW
09-07-2005, 08:59
Your modem should have USB and ethernet connections. Just use the ethernet connection to the WAN port of your router. Connect the PCs to the router and make sure you can configure the router, i.e you get an IP address (192.168.2.x)

Apart from a power cycle the only thing you may need to do is clone the mac address (if you connected your PC directly to the modem via ethernet.)

Paul K
09-07-2005, 09:34
Does this mean your other thread can be closed?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31603