PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband wireless setup

pmckerna
08-07-2005, 13:02
Hello, and apologies in advance for my severe ignorance here !!

I'm in the middle of setting up my NTL Broadband connection to use a wireless 3Com access point, and am stuck with regards to the IP setup. The access point can be configured to receive an automatic IP address OR be set with a static IP. I've set it to receive an IP from the modem and this occurs successfully (82.XXX.XXX.XXX). My problem lies in what IP address to then give to the wireless NIC in my PC. The access point will only function as a DHCP server when it has a static IP, which is useless when connected to the NTL modem, so I have to manually assign an IP to the NIC, but am stuck as to what IP to use. Any help greatly received.

SLM
08-07-2005, 13:08
192.168.0.1 or 2 Do not quote me on this as like your self I am not a wiz kid on routers but I think that IP should work.

Welcome to the site btw.

Monserrat
08-07-2005, 13:14
I've got a Linksys access point, a wired desktop computer and a friend with a wireless desktop computer.

The score is as follows:

1. Switch everything off.
2. Connect the cable modem to the access point upstream.
3. Connect the wired desktop PC to one of the 4 downstreams on the access point.
4. Switch on the machines in this order: Modem, access point, wired PC. This PC is good to go.
5. Connect the wireless dongle onto my friend's desktop PC. 2000/XP will pick up the drivers regardless. This PC is now good to go.
6. On the wired desktop PC, connect 192.168.1.1 for more options on the access point. Consult your manual to go over the security settings and more.

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2005, 13:19
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

The IP range of most routers is, as said by SLM 192.169.0.xxx It will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

A clue as to it's range will be the admin logon IP addy you can put into internet exploere to administer the access point's settings, may be details in the user manual. If the admin logon is say 192.168.0.100 then give your PC an IP of 192.168.0.150 (only change the last three digits to anything other than the access point's IP).

To get your internet connection to work, you will also have to set the "gateway" IP in the TCP/IP properties of the computer card. Normally you point that at the IP of the access point.

If you continue to have difficulties, please post the full model number of your 3Com device, so we can look it up.

pmckerna
08-07-2005, 13:29
Many thanks for the prompt replies........

To summarise, then:

3Com access point IP : dynamically allocated by NTL modem
Wireless network card in PC IP :192.168.0.1

Correct?

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2005, 16:18
erm, not necessarily. Try it and see.

If it does not work, please post the full model number of your 3Com device.

pmckerna
08-07-2005, 16:21
Hi, the model no. is

3crwe454g72

a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11G access point. The whole crux of the matter is that the ISP will only communicate with the AP if the AP gets a dynamic IP, but the AP will only issue an IP to the NIC if the AP has a static IP (too many abbreviations !!).

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2005, 17:05
hmm, looking at the specification on that the 3com site says:
System Requirements
Computer with an Ethernet 10BASE-T, 10/100, or 10/100/1000 interface configured for Internet communication <snip>

In other words it is designed to connect to a PC, the PC itself then having a connection to the cable modem via a second NIC. That seems to be what all the wiring diagrams in the user guide indicate too :(

The intention for your network would need to be:
Cable modem > Gateway PC (this PC must always be on) NIC #1
NIC #2 > 3com access point
3com access point > wireless > other PC wireless adaptors.

If possible, assuming you just purchased the item, take it back to the shop, saying it is unsuitable for purpose because it's incomaptible with the ntl network for which it is purchased. Otherwise you might just have to swallow your pride and flog it on ebay.

edit: if you were to wire up in the way I suggest above, then you would need to fiddle with the settings on the gateway PC to allow the internet connections to be shared. It would allo get much more complex than I think you were hoping for.

It looks like by default the IP range of the access point is 192.168.1.xxx. If you wish to keep experimenting with IP settings for fixed points in your network card use that range.

What you really need, I suspect is a Wireless Access Point Router.