PDA

View Full Version : Networking - A Network Within A Network

Matthew
07-07-2005, 20:19
I currently have my network setup and wish to add another part to it as such.

I currently have a Belkin Wireless ADSL Modem Router with another access point connected to give a better coverage. My friends house just over the road is going to be addeded in and my plan is to get a router that you would get for a NTL internet connection, get a wireless access point and get my one to recognise it, plug this into the WAN of the NTL type router then plug in all computers to the router. So its basically how the NTL network is setup with me acting as the NTL bit.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
07-07-2005, 20:29
Presumably the idea is that you would be sharing your broadband connection with your friend. That would be against the Ts & Cs of NTL's supply which is for a single dwelling only.

It is possible to bridge connections between two separate networks. Try looking on the linksys.com site. I'm sure I've seen some how to do its on there. Distance between the two properties will be a significant factor in performance. You want a good line of sight between the two network transmitter / receivers, and very little inthe way of building materials or other obstructions in the direct path. Even then performance might be quite poor.

Matthew
07-07-2005, 20:31
Yes we are sharing internet but I am not using NTL, I just use them as an example. I have drawn a diagram to show what I hope to achieve and will scan it in later.

MovedGoalPosts
07-07-2005, 20:42
Try this link for ideas:
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/userguides/wap54gv2-eu-ug.pdf
Page 23 diagrams I think is what you are trying to do.

Matthew
07-07-2005, 20:45
Click here (http://www.leggott.plus.com/forum/cableforum/network.gif) to see my diagram.

Yeah pretty much but one side will have the internet connection.

Nemesis
07-07-2005, 20:51
Click here (http://www.leggott.plus.com/forum/cableforum/network.gif) to see my diagram.

Yeah that's possible

MovedGoalPosts
07-07-2005, 20:51
Looks like the sort of setup posted in that Linksys link will do the job then. I suspect you have to tell one router that the other is acting as the gateway. May be a need for some port forwarding settings too.

Matthew
07-07-2005, 20:56
Now that it has been confirmed as possible I will get my bits ordered, probably Belkin as that is what I have got and the friend who I am networking with gets good deals with Belkin stuff.

He's runs a computer business and has not got a clue how to network, I know pretty much what I am doing but I am not always sure if my plans will work.

I will get to work on this one now.

MovedGoalPosts
07-07-2005, 20:59
I'd have a carefull looks at Belkin's product guides and even the operating manuals to see if their stuf hasthe capabilities you need, especially transmission range.

Matthew
07-07-2005, 21:13
I have taken my laptop over and connected fine into my access point. It's not a bad connection because its in a straight line and nothing gets in the way.

Next step is ordering it and setting it up.

Matth
07-07-2005, 21:57
Some of the linux based routers have alternative firmware

For the WRT54G, there is openwrt - not for the faint-hearted, as it is quite a raw Linux, but one thing it does have is WDS (wireless distribution system) - so it can operate as the far end of a wireless to ethernet link.

It could well be cheaper than the more "elite" products marketed for such a task

Nemesis
07-07-2005, 22:02
Now that it has been confirmed as possible I will get my bits ordered, probably Belkin as that is what I have got and the friend who I am networking with gets good deals with Belkin stuff.

He's runs a computer business and has not got a clue how to network, I know pretty much what I am doing but I am not always sure if my plans will work.

I will get to work on this one now.

Before you do, check out the netgear site, if for nothing more than network diags and config ideas for precisely what you are trying to do. MIMO technology would probably be the way to go.

GeoffW
09-07-2005, 09:30
I think you'll have problems getting it to works as described. The easiest way is just to bridge the connections between sites so you are all on one network. When you get this to work try making it two networks.

To run two networks, say networks 192 and 10, you would set the remote site to NAT on network 10 and I dont think you can run "double NAT" to the internet. On a smarter router you would set up route tables or static routes but I don't think the Belkin one lets you do this.

Matth
10-07-2005, 21:04
Actually, I believe "double NAT" would work

If you chain two routers, the machines on the inner one will be NAT routed from the outer one, giving them the same kind of security from the middle zone, as the middle zone has from the internet

Matthew
10-07-2005, 21:28
Well the bits are ordered, we will have to wait and see.

ntl customer
10-07-2005, 21:55

Off topic, but what did you make the diagram with, and where did you get the icons?

Matthew
10-07-2005, 22:02
I used Visio, then save it as an image.

tkiely
10-07-2005, 22:04
The double NAT will work fine. Since leaving ntl, I have been feeding my linksys 'ethernet input' router from the ethernet output of an adsl router, thus double natting internet-10.0.0.0-192.168.0.0

works a treat.