PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission

tomw
02-10-2003, 22:13
I want to brick up my garage door and put a window in its place . My garage is conected to the house and i also have a door from my kitchen into my Garage So do i need planning permission

Chris
02-10-2003, 22:26
I want to brick up my garage door and put a window in its place . My garage is conected to the house and i also have a door from my kitchen into my Garage So do i need planning permission

You aren't building anything new, or altering the height of your house, so unless you live in an area designated for special planning controls (like in a quaint village) or live in a listed building, I should think not. However, it costs nothing to phone the council and ask someone ... they're normally very helpful and it'll set your mind at rest. If there are later problems for any reason, it's always good to have shown willing and have them on-side.

Ramrod
02-10-2003, 22:28
Phone the planning department. Find your local councils website, click on planning and you should find the contact phone number there.

Ramrod
02-10-2003, 22:30
You aren't building anything new, or altering the height of your house, so unless you live in an area designated for special planning controls (like in a quaint village) or live in a listed building, I should think not. However, it costs nothing to phone the council and ask someone ... they're normally very helpful and it'll set your mind at rest. If there are later problems for any reason, it's always good to have shown willing and have them on-side.....and get the name of who you spoke to.....

Graham
03-10-2003, 00:16
And *GET IT IN WRITING*!!

If someone from the planning office got it wrong, a written record puts a lot more power in your hands if and when the situation "gets legal"!

Chimaera
03-10-2003, 01:07
I think you will need planning permission - as you are changing the use of that space to a living area.
Woudn't hurt to check anyway - councils are notoriously picky when it comes to retrospective planning permission. Not to mention nosey neighbours who could grass you up (and there's always one, believe me!!) :rolleyes:

Taf
12-10-2003, 12:13
If the room gets used as a bedroom, you have to declare it and pay extra poll tax... I know that.....

ian@huth
12-10-2003, 16:07
If the room gets used as a bedroom, you have to declare it and pay extra poll tax... I know that.....

Poll tax? Which decade are you living in?

It is Council Tax and such an alteration is unlikey to alter the band that the property is in. In broad terms, the value of a property for Council Tax purposes is the price that it might reasonably be expected to realise in the open market at the time of the last valuations (I forget when those were) on the assumption that it was in a reasonable state of repair.

MovedGoalPosts
12-10-2003, 17:33

It is Council Tax and such an alteration is unlikey to alter the band that the property is in. In broad terms, the value of a property for Council Tax purposes is the price that it might reasonably be expected to realise in the open market at the time of the last valuations (I forget when those were) on the assumption that it was in a reasonable state of repair.

Council Tax values are based on bandings, which reflected the value of the property as if it were sold in 1990 (I think that's the date). If you make a significant alteration to your house, the council is entitled to reassess that value. Thus if you do extend to add additional rooms it is most probable that your property will have increased in value relative to the 1990 levels. Dependant on the area in which you live this could easily move you from one band to the next.

You should check the title deeds of your house too. Sometimes there may be restricitve covenants that prevent you extending or altering your house. Conversion of a garage is technically an extension as you are changing it into habitable space and removing the parking facility (that parking facility will have been part of the original planning standards for any fairly modern house)

You should always make sure you have the necessary planning and building regulations consents for any work you do to your house. When you come to sell it, it's one of the first things that will get checked by the solicitors. Even if the council advise plannin permission is not needed, as said above, get it in writing - you can even apply for a certificate of lawful development. Even where planning consent is not needed, Building Regulations consent often is.

On a final note, when you have carried out your alteration, be sure to check that the rebuilding cost of you house for insurance now reflects the improved building.

Taf
12-10-2003, 17:42

Why get pedantic over a name?

A house accross the road had a loft conversion to make a granny bedroom. They declared it to the Council as part of the Planning Permission... and ended-up moving up a tax band.

tomw
12-10-2003, 19:36
I think i will give them a call just to confirm things

Regards

trebor
12-10-2003, 20:05
I think i will give them a call just to confirm things

Regards

leave the garage door in place brick up the inside nobody will ever know ;-)

ian@huth
12-10-2003, 20:50
A house accross the road had a loft conversion to make a granny bedroom. They declared it to the Council as part of the Planning Permission... and ended-up moving up a tax band.

The improvements they made across the road would add value to the house and if it was already near the top of the band that it was in could easily take it into the next band.

The change of use of a garage to a room could just as likely reduce the value of the house as increase it.

tomw
12-10-2003, 21:16
leave the garage door in place brick up the inside nobody will ever know ;-)

wasnt that done in brookside or something !!!!!

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 10:18
A friend of mine has it done on his house, they extended the kitchen and made a small office in the garage space.

I'll try and check with him see if they needed planning permission.

zoombini
13-10-2003, 10:58
My parents did this while living in Blackpool.

They were told that to do this they MUST get planning permissions.

But they did not, they just left the garage door there & bricked up behind it, with windows in the side.
Made a very nice bedroom/en-suite etc.

Dont forget the adding of extra insulation as Garages usually only have 1 no insulated brick wall layer.

As stated above, ring your council before doing anything to it, you are changeing the use of it/the number of bedrooms in the house.

Tiptoes
15-10-2003, 07:10
From experience I can only concur with what Graham says above.

Get everything in writing.

without question.