Thanks but no thanks :)
Edit - Nice machine though by the looks of it

Chris
24-06-2003, 14:19
Originally posted by Gandalf
Thanks but no thanks :)
Edit - Nice machine though by the looks of it

You gets what you pays for.

Quality, pure quality. And so fast you'll meet yerself coming back...

bopdude
24-06-2003, 15:49
Nice piece of kit, but for that money.....ouch.

Dave Stones
24-06-2003, 17:10
£2,299. 00

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
1GHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

can anyone find a similar-priced windows setup? ok so a monitor isnt included but it still makes me want one...

incidentally what makes a 64bit processor so differnt to a 32bit one?

Lord Nikon
24-06-2003, 17:23
my sister bought a G4... Mac OS X

then apple "updated" OS X, she can buy it on student discount for £70, then there is to be another update in sept, for another £70 (the second chargeable update this year) and some hardware requires the update.

to me the apple seems an expensive machine which you keep on paying for. At least with winblows you can run your hardware on older versions and, while you may not have some of the bells and whistles of the newer OS, you can still use it.

btw - one of the items Mac OS X in its early form doesn't support?

The IOMEGA Zip drive.

Dave Stones
24-06-2003, 17:39
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
my sister bought a G4... Mac OS X

then apple "updated" OS X, she can buy it on student discount for £70, then there is to be another update in sept, for another £70 (the second chargeable update this year) and some hardware requires the update.

to me the apple seems an expensive machine which you keep on paying for. At least with winblows you can run your hardware on older versions and, while you may not have some of the bells and whistles of the newer OS, you can still use it.

The IOMEGA Zip drive.

how many people use a zip drive though?!

Lord Nikon
24-06-2003, 17:50
since she and many others are using them at university I would think quite a few...

Dave Stones
24-06-2003, 17:54
i wouldve thought that a zipdrive is seen as archaic now even among university types... you could get a cd writer for less....

downquark1
24-06-2003, 18:17
I have to admit, when you choose a mac you do make certain sacrifices - but if you are know about them then a mac can be very rewarding.

Dave Stones
24-06-2003, 18:21
Originally posted by downquark1
I have to admit, when you choose a mac you do make certain sacrifices - but if you are know about them then a mac can be very rewarding.

aye indeed they can... much better for if you want to go down the CGI and heavy photoshop use etc as well.

i wouldnt have thought that losing a zip drive would be a big sacrifice in this day and age lol

downquark1
24-06-2003, 18:31

The IOMEGA Zip drive.

It does now though. This is hardly suprising it it's early form it didn't support CDR or DVD. But at least macs are developed along side the public instead of microsoft who just shuts themselves away for years then come out saying these are the new standards.

Lord Nikon
24-06-2003, 18:34
It does now yes, but only if people who bought the G4 anglepoise unit BUY the upgrade..

btw - the reason for zip drive usage is while most unis and colleges have zip drives installed from when CD Writers were more expensive, not all of them have ascribed to the newer technology yet.

downquark1
24-06-2003, 18:47
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
It does now yes, but only if people who bought the G4 anglepoise unit BUY the upgrade..

btw - the reason for zip drive usage is while most unis and colleges have zip drives installed from when CD Writers were more expensive, not all of them have ascribed to the newer technology yet.

I'm sorry but perhaps they should have researched it before hand:shrug:

I have to say that MAC OS 10.0 was really a public beta more than anything they shouldn't have charged for it.

Didn't they provide MAC OS 9 with it? That can use zip drives.

ic14
24-06-2003, 19:20
I want this machine now!!!!!

Up to 8gb of ram! Who would need that?
Any way its the first comeputer (i think) with pci-x and Hyper transport. 1gb front side bus.
And fianlly USB 2 support!
Talk about a quick machine!!!!

Alan Waddington
24-06-2003, 19:41
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
- Line voltage: 100ââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“125V AC or 200ââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
- Maximum current: 6.5A (low-voltage range) or 7.5A (high-voltage range)
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: †“40Ãâ €šÃ‚° to 116° F (â₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å“40Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚° to 47° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

Could cost a bit to run though.

ic14
24-06-2003, 19:50
How did it meet them?
Its so powerful you think it would need its own powerstation! lol:D

Chris
24-06-2003, 19:52
Originally posted by downquark1
I'm sorry but perhaps they should have researched it before hand:shrug:

I have to say that MAC OS 10.0 was really a public beta more than anything they shouldn't have charged for it.

Didn't they provide MAC OS 9 with it? That can use zip drives.

I agree they shouldn't have charged for 10.0; it really was intended for developers/hardened beta geeks. It was a basic version of the OS with few add-ons, including the (some might say) surprising lack of support for various external storage devices.

Surprise at this approach is more common among the window$ slaves of the world who are used to M$'$ secretive approach to development. Personally I prefer Apple's more open approach. I have been using a Beta of their new Safari browser which, until final release v1 came out today, included a 'bug' button in the toolbar designed to allow users to report problems direct to Apple. I must've sent in dozens of URLs and descriptions of web pages that didn't work properly in various incarnations of the Beta. They all work fine now.

I am now using OSX 10.2.6 on a G3 iMac (450mhz) that originally shipped with OS 9.0.3. I bought in to OSX at 10.1.3 and got a free upgrade to 10.2 because I was within a 'qualifying period'. Provided Apple don't up the minimum recommended specs for using 10.3 I will probably pay for it when it comes out. New Mac OS releases tend to be full of genuinely innovative stuff that are worth having.

And yes, OSX 10.0 came with OS9 also installed, able to boot independently or run within OSX as the 'Classic' environment - a kind of OS9 emulator. 10.2.6 still has this option, although I use it increasingly rarely these days.

So, at no stage in development of OSX has any piece of hardware or software been rendered completely unuseable. Everything worked either in 10.0, Classic mode or booted into OS9.

EDIT - in answer of the criticism that Mac OS is less likely to run on an older machine than Windows is on an older PC, I can only appeal to the dozens of news stories that follow in the wake of any major upgrade to Windows. Even Watchdog waded in a while back. MS are notorious for eating up the power only new PCs can offer. My humble G3, however, is running the (currently) most up-to-date Apple OS, without any problems, yet is 4 years old and was merely midrange at the time I bought it.

Dave Stones
24-06-2003, 19:58
Originally posted by ic14
I want this machine now!!!!!

Up to 8gb of ram! Who would need that?
Any way its the first comeputer (i think) with pci-x and Hyper transport. 1gb front side bus.
And fianlly USB 2 support!
Talk about a quick machine!!!!

ok heres the maxed-out useful spec and price... (no fancy crap like fibrechannel, jjust the stuff that is likely to be useful soon).makes the eyes water a tad. doesnt even include a monitor :(

Summary

†¢ Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
†¢ 8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8 DIMMs
†¢ 2x250GB Serial ATA
†¢ DVD-R/CD-RW
†¢ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, ADC/DVI
†¢ 56K internal modem
†¢ Bluetooth Module
†¢ AirPort Extreme Card
†¢ AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem)
†¢ Apple Keyboard
†¢ Mac OS
†¢ One FireWire 800 port
†¢ Two FireWire 400 ports
†¢ Three USB 2.0 ports
†¢ Apple Mouse

Subtotal £6,246. 98

:eeek:

if only i were rich :(

Z4pp4
24-06-2003, 21:36
Apple accused of cheating over G5 benchmarks

The tests described by Apple CEO Steve Jobs were conducted on the company's behalf ("under contract")

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31405.html

Fr4nk