PDA

View Full Version : Tell us something we don't know

Russ
02-10-2003, 17:12
How about you tell the world something about you or your past that not many people know?

I'll kick off - I live in a rented house and am stuck this way for another few years because I was once engaged to a girl who I gave the mortgage money to each month...only for her to spend it on all kinds of crap and I only knew about it when I came home to find the key wouldn't open the door...and the eviction notice on the front door. I was stuck with a repossession order and a CCJ which stops me from getting a mortgage for another few years.... :(

cjll3
02-10-2003, 17:15
I once had a HIV test

downquark1
02-10-2003, 17:32
It may be commiting forumic suicide but here we go:

I am the freakish resultant of a marriage between a Hungarian aristrocrat family and old Lancashire farmer family.

Now before you all ask me for money, you should know that my grandparents came to England after the nazi's/communists stole it all. I have a romantic scene in my head of man and wife treking cross-country in order to get across the border. But before you go 'ahhh', you should know they are divorced now.

I've visted Hungary a few times in my childhood - I can't speak Hungarian so don't ask. :dunce:

Atomic22
02-10-2003, 20:19
when i was a kid i played the bugle in the local sallys army band , and in the scouts band

Mark W
02-10-2003, 20:44
i was the schools UK u18 longbore rifle champion in my last year of school :)

Chris
02-10-2003, 21:49
I evacuated Jimmy Saville from the Glasgow Moat House on my honeymoon night ... I set the fire alarm off by running a hot bath, apparently - the steam activated the smoke alarm. Me and my new missus walked down 16 flights of stairs and out a back fire exit, to find the silver haired one standing next to the bins in a shell suit, waving a long cigar and making jangle-jangle-now-then-now-then noises. :spin:

Tricky
04-10-2003, 12:49
Probably a common one - but I hate my job but won't leave cos I cannot get some other smuck to pay me £xx,xxx pa.

Defiant
04-10-2003, 12:54
I used to be a compulsive lair but not anymore.

Then again I could be lying :smokin:

Graham
04-10-2003, 13:09
I've had over a dozen HIV tests...

... one every time I've given blood :)

Peter K
04-10-2003, 16:44
I'm really forgetful :eeek:

Does anyone know who I am?

According to my name I think I must be called Peter K but I can't remember what the K means :dunce:

Oh and I just remembered that I forgot half my outfit for tonight and so will have to run home to get it after I'm out of work and before I get into Manchester :dunce:

imback
04-10-2003, 16:55
i was the schools UK u18 longbore rifle champion in my last year of school :)

Excuse me for asking, but what school has a rifle competition?

The Diplomat
04-10-2003, 16:59
<snip>
Oh and I just remembered that I forgot half my outfit for tonight and so will have to run home to get it after I'm out of work and before I get into Manchester :dunce:

I thought the outfit for the rear end of a pantomime horse was all in one?

Ramrod
04-10-2003, 17:13
I evacuated Jimmy Saville from the Glasgow Moat House on my honeymoon night ... I set the fire alarm off by running a hot bath, apparently - the steam activated the smoke alarm. Me and my new missus walked down 16 flights of stairs and out a back fire exit, to find the silver haired one standing next to the bins in a shell suit, waving a long cigar and making jangle-jangle-now-then-now-then noises. :spin:Yes, that happened to me as well :disturbd: :D

I once managed to stab myself in the nose with a screwdriver :disturbd: :rofl:

Ramrod
04-10-2003, 17:16
I live in a rented house and am stuck this way for another few years because I was once engaged to a girl who I gave the mortgage money to each month...only for her to spend it on all kinds of crap and I only knew about it when I came home to find the key wouldn't open the door...and the eviction notice on the front door. I was stuck with a repossession order and a CCJ which stops me from getting a mortgage for another few years.... :(Wow! Talk about bad judgement Russ! :disturbd:

Maggy
04-10-2003, 17:22
I was born in Nigeria and I'm a honory member of the Tiv tribe.My African name is Membeh meaning 'I am pleased'.

Well that's what my father and mother told me. :)

Incog. :)

Russ
04-10-2003, 17:46

Yes, the admin team certainly do.

downquark1
04-10-2003, 17:49
Yes, the admin team certainly do.
Russ, is there any deal with this guy? :confused:

Escapee
04-10-2003, 17:52
I am honestly not trying to take the tone of the thread down at all but....

I have allways fancied Black women :drool:

So there we go, I am racist! I generally prefer them to white women.

Yes a few times, is the answer to the question some of you are probably thinking. :)

Russ
04-10-2003, 17:54

I'll say nothing about this person for now.....

Mark W
04-10-2003, 17:57

:rolleyes: :zzz:

cjll3
04-10-2003, 18:52

Guy? Nope

Peter & K & Bolton, big clues, stupid wind up

Any chance of the mods spliting this out so we can get back to the really interesting bits?

Jerrek
04-10-2003, 19:07
I'm ambidextrous.

Peter K
04-10-2003, 19:17
Guy? Nope

Any chance of the mods spliting this out so we can get back to the really interesting bits?

Sorry but what are you going on about?

What wind up?

I'm very confused now :confused:

Russ
04-10-2003, 19:30
Sorry but what are you going on about?

What wind up?

I'm very confused now :confused:

OK how about if I put it this way.....

"Hello Kerry-Anne"

Ramrod
04-10-2003, 22:18
I was born in Nigeria and I'm a honory member of the Tiv tribe.My African name is Membeh meaning 'I am pleased'.

Well that's what my father and mother told me. :)

Incog. :)
Our gardner made me his honorary brother. He is black South African. (he seemed to like me)

Ramrod
04-10-2003, 22:20
I'm ambidextrous.
So....does it feel as good with either hand? ;)
....that would be telling us something we don't know :D

Jerrek
05-10-2003, 00:43
Well, my handwriting between my two hands are completely different. And I have two signatures. But for things, certain hands to take preference. For example,

writing - right
batting (baseball) - left
handguns - right
rifles - left
fencing - either
jerking off - left!

:)

Xaccers
05-10-2003, 01:29
I'm cross lateral

Stuart W
05-10-2003, 01:35
stands up My name's Stuart and I'm an alcoholoc. :D

Jerrek
05-10-2003, 02:35
I've been kidnapped before. Eh, at least that is what it seemed like for the 18 or so hours I was captive. Wanna hear?

Russ
05-10-2003, 08:37
I've been kidnapped before. Eh, at least that is what it seemed like for the 18 or so hours I was captive. Wanna hear?

I was kidnapped for 2 and a half years - it was called being engaged :disturbd:

Escapee
05-10-2003, 09:45
Our gardner made me his honorary brother. He is black South African. (he seemed to like me)

Just wanted to add a little bit to that.

It's a very confusing thing when Black South Africans refer to their brothers and sisters, they also call their close family ie: cousins etc their brothers/sisters and as you have found out very close friends are also referred to as brothers.

Another interesting fact is the in-laws are referred to as mother and father as well, to refer to them as father/mother in law would be putting them down.
I am not sure how many tribes this refers to, but I know the Zulu's follow these rules. A Zulu girl told me that I would have to pay her father for a dozen head of cattle if I wanted to marry her, I joked for a while with her by texting her the daily beef prices and saying that I was waiting for the prices to drop. :)

All in good fun/taste, she had a good laugh about it.

Mark W
05-10-2003, 09:57

was held at gunpoint by 5 unfriendly chaps with AK's with my family as our car was nicked :erm:

one of the many joys of living in a war-zone :)

Russ
05-10-2003, 10:39
Bonymaen ain't that bad....hmm then again, yes it is :erm:

ic14
05-10-2003, 11:18
Ok, something not many people knows... erm, apparently i sound like a 12 year old!

Oh and im sometimes a bit confused, if you get my drift

Kneebs
05-10-2003, 12:04
was held at gunpoint by 5 unfriendly chaps with AK's with my family as our car was nicked :erm:

one of the many joys of living in a war-zone :)

Swansea ! :D

I take it you've lived somewhere else Mark !

Mark W
05-10-2003, 12:08
Swansea ! :D

I take it you've lived somewhere else Mark !

lol, its a rough place i tell ya ;)

nah, was born and brought up in lebanon :)

downquark1
05-10-2003, 12:15
Guy? Nope

I've obviously missed this person before. If anyone could PM me an explanation I would be gratefull.

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 12:46
fencing - either
:)
Thats very useful. Are you exactly as good with either hand?

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 12:47
go on then.....

Ramrod
05-10-2003, 12:48
Just wanted to add a little bit to that.

It's a very confusing thing when Black South Africans refer to their brothers and sisters, they also call their close family ie: cousins etc their brothers/sisters and as you have found out very close friends are also referred to as brothers.

Another interesting fact is the in-laws are referred to as mother and father as well, to refer to them as father/mother in law would be putting them down.
I am not sure how many tribes this refers to, but I know the Zulu's follow these rules. A Zulu girl told me that I would have to pay her father for a dozen head of cattle if I wanted to marry her, I joked for a while with her by texting her the daily beef prices and saying that I was waiting for the prices to drop. :)

All in good fun/taste, she had a good laugh about it.He was a Zulu.

Graham
05-10-2003, 20:32
I am honestly not trying to take the tone of the thread down at all but....

I have allways fancied Black women :drool:

So there we go, I am racist! I generally prefer them to white women.

Why should that make you "racist" (unless you're prejudiced *against* white women)?

As a matter of interest, my last three partners have all been black. At least two of them have been of the "large" persuasion.

And anyone who says "more than a handfull is wasted", just doesn't know *what* they're missing! ;)

Graham
05-10-2003, 20:34
I've been kidnapped before. [...] Wanna hear?

I've been kidnapped by Aliens. Wanna hear?

Actually whilst the aliens bit isn't true, I have actually had the experience. Ask if you want to know more.

Jerrek
06-10-2003, 01:01
Due to some rather nasty (in their opinion) prank I pulled on some of my friends, they decided to pay me back. They planned to scare me more than anything, so the idea was to kidnap me, lock me up for a period of time, and then have me beg for freedom. Four of them was to dress in all black, complete with ski masks, and then one Friday afternoon they were going to "kidnap" me by overpowering me on the street, stuffing me in a the van, and driving off.

It worked. I was, as usual, walking home. Must have been 5pm or so. I tend not to notice things when I'm bored because I'm deep in thought regarding "things." (It is easy to startle me when I'm deep in thought.) So yeah, when a van parked a hundred or so feet from me beside the curb I don't think I noticed. I was on the sidewalk, passing it, when it opened and to my surprise four black figures headed my way. I really didn't have time to think or defend myself. I think their idea was just to get my hands behind my back and then pull me into the van, but I kicked wildly and managed to hit someone in the nuts quite hard. I was fighting dirty by clawing, trying to bite, poking, and so on (OK, I was slighly panicking...). They took me down on the grass and with three people on me I couldn't escape.

They tied my hands behind my back, blindfolded me, and then stuffed something in my mouth that didn't smell that great. They managed to do this while staying remarkably quiet. At least, from the noises they made I couldn't identify anyone.

Now I was scared man, real scared. I didn't know what was going on, and I just wanted to know who I ****ed off this time. I couldn't see anything and I had no idea where they were taking me.

They took me to a house where one of them lived, and took me down into the basement. They put me in one of the rooms on a mattress. They tied my ankles together again, locked the door, and left.

What a night. Spending a night like that isn't fun. You can't sleep. Not because you're so damn uncomfortable and cold, but because your mind is filling with all of these horrible posibilities of what is going to happen.

In the morning sometime they came back, removed the gag, and just sat there. They were probably waiting for me to beg or something, but I was too exhausted to say anything. One of them released me shortly after that and I was real ****ed off that morning. I couldn't deside whether I had to be relieved and happy to be free and that this ain't real, or to be angry at them for doing something like that. In the end, I decided to just be happy it wasn't real and to look at them smugly knowing I had kicked one of them real good in the nuts.

Xaccers
06-10-2003, 01:07
A guy I knew at uni used to go out in a van with his mates, grab someone putting a sack over their head, drive real fast on some wasteland, stop but rock the van to make it seem like the van was still moving, open the doors and through the victim out! :eek:
I decided best to steer clear of him from then on

Scarlett
06-10-2003, 10:34
I proposed to my Soon to be wife when dressed as a woman. :eeek:

Wanna hear?

(or would that be too much information ?)

Scarlett

Ramrod
06-10-2003, 12:36

Actually whilst the aliens bit isn't true, I have actually had the experience. Ask if you want to know more.
Go on then...... :)

timewarrior2001
06-10-2003, 15:43
Not only do I beleive in ghosts, I have seen several, including one that was rather horrific.
I used to work in a sunbed shop and the building was haunted, before it was a shop my mate lived there, strange strange things happened, all witnessed by several people.

The usual things happen, temp drops (entity pulling heat energy from the room to materialise) Photos seem to have orbs on them (another sign of imminent manifestation)
Strange dragging noises from upstairs, shadows moving on landing wall when no one is upstairs. An old gentleman in a tuxedo seen on several occasions, lights going on and off, computers with no power supply in them, switched on!!!!!!! hdd spinning et al.
Waking up in th enight and seeing faces leering at you out of the darkness.
Balls of light outside the building.
And the rather horrific non human type shape we saw in the backyard.
The hairs on the back of your neck definately do stand on end, your heart races.

I cannot describe why I have been priveleged to see proof that theres an afterlife, but its somehtign that has me fascinated.

I'm now thinking of becoming a ghost hunter as I want to investigate more ghostly sightings and maybe poltergeist activity.

Ramrod
06-10-2003, 16:40
Not only do I beleive in ghosts, I have seen several, including one that was rather horrific.
I used to work in a sunbed shop and the building was haunted, before it was a shop my mate lived there, strange strange things happened, all witnessed by several people.

The usual things happen, temp drops (entity pulling heat energy from the room to materialise) Photos seem to have orbs on them (another sign of imminent manifestation)
Strange dragging noises from upstairs, shadows moving on landing wall when no one is upstairs. An old gentleman in a tuxedo seen on several occasions, lights going on and off, computers with no power supply in them, switched on!!!!!!! hdd spinning et al.
Waking up in th enight and seeing faces leering at you out of the darkness.
Balls of light outside the building.
And the rather horrific non human type shape we saw in the backyard.
The hairs on the back of your neck definately do stand on end, your heart races.

.I just about manage to rationalise that kind of stuff and then someone like you goes and scares me all over again..... :eek: :D

Shaun
06-10-2003, 16:51
I just about manage to rationalise that kind of stuff and then someone like you goes and scares me all over again..... :eek: :D

*hides under the quilt!

Chris
06-10-2003, 16:55
*hides under the quilt!
What're you doing in bed in the middle of the day?!

timewarrior2001
06-10-2003, 17:02
I just about manage to rationalise that kind of stuff and then someone like you goes and scares me all over again..... :eek: :D

Wanna know some more?

The dead can indeed most definately hurt you. Physical attacks on sensative people are documented.
Theres a protocol to follow when you visit a suspected haunting.

Respect for the property

respect in a cemetary and or battlefield.

Never touch the headstones, unless you are fixing them back in place (sometimes this is illegal)

Always ALWAYS investigate in a team......NEVER alone.

If an apparition(ghost) is sighted or appears in front of you, remain calm and still, take as many pictures as possible. It might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Theres absolutely loads, ranging from first aid kits to extra batteries in case of sudden power drain, a mobile phone, switched off until needed.

Scary though it is, it is also very fascinating, the tingles the feelings you get the atmospheric changes. All add up to make every investigation a nerve tingling one.

Ramrod
06-10-2003, 18:47
Wanna know some more?

The dead can indeed most definately hurt you. Physical attacks on sensative people are documented.
Theres a protocol to follow when you visit a suspected haunting.

Respect for the property

respect in a cemetary and or battlefield.

Never touch the headstones, unless you are fixing them back in place (sometimes this is illegal)

Always ALWAYS investigate in a team......NEVER alone.

If an apparition(ghost) is sighted or appears in front of you, remain calm and still, take as many pictures as possible. It might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Theres absolutely loads, ranging from first aid kits to extra batteries in case of sudden power drain, a mobile phone, switched off until needed.

Scary though it is, it is also very fascinating, the tingles the feelings you get the atmospheric changes. All add up to make every investigation a nerve tingling one.
Looks like you already do that stuff.....

Escapee
06-10-2003, 20:33
Why should that make you "racist" (unless you're prejudiced *against* white women)?

As a matter of interest, my last three partners have all been black. At least two of them have been of the "large" persuasion.

And anyone who says "more than a handfull is wasted", just doesn't know *what* they're missing! ;)

Similar here, it's been the last two for me.

I just mentioned it because I was accused on another site (.com) quite a while back of being a racist by one of those posters who allways seemed to appear and be allowed to post exactly what they wanted before dissapearing into oblivion for another few months. I allways thought it was a bit like the many faces of Mike Yarwood if you guys know what I mean. :)

Anyway the allegations gave me and people who know me personally a very good laugh, so I thought this thread was a good place to share it and shock the people who formed an opinion of me!

Steve H
06-10-2003, 22:35
Cheers timewarrior, No more sleeping in the dark for me :D

Although .. I used to hate going the toilet cos I thought things would come out of it whilst im sitting there :erm::eek::blush:

Ramrod
06-10-2003, 22:42

Although .. I used to hate going the toilet cos I thought things would come out of it whilst im sitting there :erm::eek::blush:
Like in the film 'Basket case'? :D

Shaun
06-10-2003, 23:12

me too :blush:

downquark1
07-10-2003, 08:20
I mentioned in another thread I was stung by a wasp last week, since then I have found 4/5 wasps in the exactly same place staggering about the floor :eek:. Each time I've killed it and put it in the bin.

This is freaking me out, the windows haven't been open. I'm going to have to check around my house for nests :eek:

Xaccers
07-10-2003, 09:05
Like in the film 'Basket case'? :D

I thought it was Goulies?

timewarrior2001
07-10-2003, 10:22
For the record I havent been on any professional investigations yet.
Just silly things like trying to annoy the spirit in my mates house/workplace. (NOT A GOOD IDEA BTW).
I want an EMF meter but they can be costly :(

hey btw dont be scared of the dark, you are just a likely to see an aparition in daylight.
Ever get the feeling that your being followed in the dark? ..........................you probably are. Try turning round and taking a quick succession of photos and look for orbs......you would be very surprised.

Oh well most haunted starts a new season tonight at 9pm on living TV.

Night night sleep tight guys :p

Ramrod
07-10-2003, 11:26
Ever get the feeling that your being followed in the dark? ..........................you probably are. Try turning round and taking a quick succession of photos and look for orbs......you would be very surprised.

Thanks for that m8! :D

iadom
07-10-2003, 11:36
Why worry about the dead, it's the people that are alive you need to watch out for.:rolleyes:

spacedhopper
07-10-2003, 11:44
I am a midget fortune-teller who escaped from prison.

And therefore I am a small medium at large, i thank you :D

Ramrod
07-10-2003, 11:51
I am a midget fortune-teller who escaped from prison.

And therefore I am a small medium at large, i thank you :D
Is that a Civic-R on your avatar?

spacedhopper
07-10-2003, 14:02
Is that a Civic-R on your avatar?

Your a poet and you don't know it!!, no its a TSport Yaris

Ramrod
08-10-2003, 00:14
Your a poet and you don't know it!!, no its a TSport Yaris
lol!

Graham
08-10-2003, 21:12

Go on then...... :)

Ok...

I was having one of those wierd dreams (no, not one of *those* wierd dreams!) and, for some reason, I'd managed to get lost whilst cycling in Portsmouth at night (good trick, that, given the size of Pompey!)

Anyway, I cycled past a gang of youths who were hanging around some closed stores as if they were going to break in and obviously I looked at them too hard because one shouted that if I grassed them up they'd "get me" and started chasing me.

Somehow I ended up back home and in bed, but I was seemingly awake and I felt a definite "presence" in the room, but I was *totally* unable to move!!

This was starting to get a bit worrying when suddenly something went "click" in my head and I thought "Hold on! I know what's going on here! This is what people report with alien abductions or the 'grey ghost' etc."

From that moment on it ceased to be scary and instead I was just observing a very interesting phenomenon as I was cataloging all the bits that people have related in programmes about this sort of thing.

I didn't actually see the "alien" or "grey ghost" or "night hag" that some report (ie the dark figure with the big oval eyes etc) but the rest of it was all there. It's just that me being a rational rather than superstitious type, knew it for what it was, rather than what people claim it to be.

Wierd, but interesting!

Ramrod
08-10-2003, 22:10
Ok...

I was having one of those wierd dreams (no, not one of *those* wierd dreams!) and, for some reason, I'd managed to get lost whilst cycling in Portsmouth at night (good trick, that, given the size of Pompey!)

Anyway, I cycled past a gang of youths who were hanging around some closed stores as if they were going to break in and obviously I looked at them too hard because one shouted that if I grassed them up they'd "get me" and started chasing me.

Somehow I ended up back home and in bed, but I was seemingly awake and I felt a definite "presence" in the room, but I was *totally* unable to move!!

This was starting to get a bit worrying when suddenly something went "click" in my head and I thought "Hold on! I know what's going on here! This is what people report with alien abductions or the 'grey ghost' etc."

From that moment on it ceased to be scary and instead I was just observing a very interesting phenomenon as I was cataloging all the bits that people have related in programmes about this sort of thing.

I didn't actually see the "alien" or "grey ghost" or "night hag" that some report (ie the dark figure with the big oval eyes etc) but the rest of it was all there. It's just that me being a rational rather than superstitious type, knew it for what it was, rather than what people claim it to be.

Wierd, but interesting!
Night terrors?

Chris
08-10-2003, 22:15
Ok...<snip>

Wierd, but interesting!
Hang on ... you believed your experience to be of a certain nature, but surely a rational person needs more objective proof than your own subjective experience? How can you say with such certainty that you knew it for what it was, and so roundly dismiss other possible explanations as merely 'claims' by 'superstitious' people? It seems to me that you are elevating your own theory at the expense of others for no better reason than that it is the explanation you happen to believe in...

Xaccers
08-10-2003, 22:18
Night terrors?

Sleep paralysis
Very interesting stuff.
It's like the opposite of sleep walking.
When you sleep your body should become paralysed so that if you dream you're running, you don't end up running around into things.
If this goes wrong you either end up sleep walking, or you wake and can't move.

Most people fall back to sleep and don't remember anything of it, others have experiences like Graham described.
In eastern cultures this precence/weight on chest is put down to "grey ghost", in europe it was put down to a succubus or inccubus, but in modern times people interpret it as being abducted by aliens.

downquark1
08-10-2003, 22:22
Hang on ... you believed your experience to be of a certain nature, but surely a rational person needs more objective proof than your own subjective experience? How can you say with such certainty that you knew it for what it was, and so roundly dismiss other possible explanations as merely 'claims' by 'superstitious' people? It seems to me that you are elevating your own theory at the expense of others for no better reason than that it is the explanation you happen to believe in...He is just describing the experience. Has he said if was true? Or he believed they truely were aliens? :confused:

He's only described the experienced and compared it to other people's who've claim to have been kidnapped.

Shaun
08-10-2003, 22:29
Sleep paralysis
Very interesting stuff.
When you sleep your body should become paralysed so that if you dream you're running, you don't end up running around into things.

I sometimes wake in the night and can't move but after a few minutes I'm fine. It was very frightened the first time but now I know what's going to happen. My GP was very interested but says it does happen.

Chris
08-10-2003, 22:32
He is just describing the experience. Has he said if was true? Or he believed they truely were aliens? :confused:

He's only described the experienced and compared it to other people's who've claim to have been kidnapped.
Graham said in a previous post that he didn't think the 'aliens' bit was true. My understanding is he, as a rational being, was happy to observe physiological phenomena that were happening to him without making superstitious judgements about what it was or deciding he was being abducted by aliens.

My objection to that is that the sole reason for deciding this was physiological and not something more odd appears to be, 'I believe it to be a certain way, and I am rational, which means that my belief must be correct.'

As a matter of fact, I think Graham is right, it probably is just a physological thing and nothing to do with aliens. I was just exploring the reasoning behind him arriving at his point of view.

downquark1
08-10-2003, 22:37
Graham said in a previous post that he didn't think the 'aliens' bit was true. My understanding is he, as a rational being, was happy to observe physiological phenomena that were happening to him without making superstitious judgements about what it was or deciding he was being abducted by aliens.

My objection to that is that the sole reason for deciding this was physiological and not something more odd appears to be, 'I believe it to be a certain way, and I am rational, which means that my belief must be correct.'

As a matter of fact, I think Graham is right, it probably is just a physological thing and nothing to do with aliens. I was just exploring the reasoning behind him arriving at his point of view. Are you saying that he dismissed the posibility of special revalation too soon? I guess this is because the experience compares with nothing in the bible (as far as I can think), but more with the abuction theorists and psycological experiences.

Chris
08-10-2003, 22:45
Are you saying that he dismissed the posibility of special revalation too soon? I guess this is because the experience compares with nothing in the bible (as far as I can think), but more with the abuction theorists and psycological experiences.
lol ... we're going off topic now ... it could have been some kind of religious experience; it could have been an attempted alien abduction. As a matter of fact, I agree with Graham, it was prolly just his brain playing tricks on him.

I wasn't objecting to his reasoning for any religious motive, or worrying that he might be reasoning away an encounter with God or anything like that. All I was trying to say was that affirming a certain explanation just because it fits with your worldview - in this case a rationalistic one - is a surprising approach, especially when I and others get leathered for seemingly doing the same thing re our religious beliefs. But that's a discussion for another thread. :)

Bex
09-10-2003, 17:16
ok...i am one of very few women who are colourblind.........it's not meant to occur in women, because of the genetics of it but hey i'm unique.............

another thing i broke my jaw when i was six, so now i can click it out of place and back in whenever

downquark1
09-10-2003, 18:01
I mentioned in another thread I was stung by a wasp last week, since then I have found 4/5 wasps in the exactly same place staggering about the floor :eek:. Each time I've killed it and put it in the bin.

This is freaking me out, the windows haven't been open. I'm going to have to check around my house for nests :eek:2 more today, and always in the same room. I have no idea how they are getting in :eek:.

Bex
09-10-2003, 19:06
2 more today, and always in the same room. I have no idea how they are getting in :eek:.

have u checked in ur loft? u may have a wasps nest or something...........normally at this time of year they are looking for somewhere to build a hive

Bowser
09-10-2003, 19:20
I'm ambidextrous.
So am I!

Graham
09-10-2003, 19:20
I didn't actually see the "alien" or "grey ghost" or "night hag" that some report but the rest of it was all there. It's just that me being a rational rather than superstitious type, knew it for what it was, rather than what people claim it to be.

Hang on ... you believed your experience to be of a certain nature, but surely a rational person needs more objective proof than your own subjective experience?

Hang on yourself!!

I know that "sleep paralysis" happens. I know that people have reported the same phenomenon that I have throughout history, be it aliens or night hags or grey ghosts or whatever interpretation they put on it.

Yes, of course, my experience was subjective, rather than objective because there was no "external observer" to confirm it, but the fact is that I could "step outside" the experience to see it for what it was.

How can you say with such certainty that you knew it for what it was, and so roundly dismiss other possible explanations as merely 'claims' by 'superstitious' people? It seems to me that you are elevating your own theory at the expense of others for no better reason than that it is the explanation you happen to believe in...

No, because it's not the *only* explanation that I'm aware of. I think that many "alien abduction" cases (or, before them, attacks by succubi or whatever) were explained *subsequently* or considered to be such because the person experiencing them only knew or later heard or was told of that as "the explanation".

If I were to have just posted "this is what happened" and someone said "wow you had an alien experience" or whatever and I was inclined to believe that sort of thing then I would probably accept that. Since I'm not, however, I prefer to look for a more rational explanation (ie one that requires fewer assumptions, cf Occams Razor) and that is the one I choose to accept.

Ramrod
09-10-2003, 21:00
Sleep paralysis
Very interesting stuff.

Most people fall back to sleep and don't remember anything of it, others have experiences like Graham described.
In eastern cultures this precence/weight on chest is put down to "grey ghost", in europe it was put down to a succubus or inccubus, but in modern times people interpret it as being abducted by aliens.
Thats right, I meant to say sleep paralysis. Doh!

bob_a_builder
09-10-2003, 23:01
I'm ambidextrous.
You bast@rd, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous !