PDA

View Full Version : cable moden into cable tv wall point?

thunder
02-07-2005, 17:38
Hi, i have had a ntl box wall connector for digital in my lounge for TV for years.
I recently had another box installed upstairs for cable modem (ntl 200 series).
Everthing works fine.

Today i thought.. can i take my laptop and modem downstairs and use the connection there - and therefore watch live 8 at same time.

I disconnect the cable from the FM socket upstairs and installed it into the FM socket downstairs. Booted up pc and modem but the modem only kept flashing on the
D/S light constantly. I rebooted and tried again - same thing. I turned OFF my ntl tv box incase only 1 signal at a time can come through and nothing

Could someone tell me if it is possible or are the boxes somehow numbered to the modem?? (both wall boxes are the same white boxes with 2 connections TV and FM)

thanks

Paul K
02-07-2005, 17:46
It's probably plugged into a dead/ unwired port now. They wired a second port upstairs on the wallplate because you were using two services (TV and BB) but downstairs you were only using one so most likely the second port on the faceplate is not wired up.

marky
02-07-2005, 17:54
they put a 3.5db 2 way splitter on mine

Angua
02-07-2005, 18:19
they put a 3.5db 2 way splitter on mine
Same here (hidden somewhere behind the TV)
Looks something like: -
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:-eOVTeVY294J:prosatellitesupply.com/images/2WAY_SPLITTER.jpg

jaycee
02-07-2005, 18:27
It depends what kind of isolator they have installed in the wallplate. If they installed one that's TV and FM, there will be a bandstop filter on the FM port which makes it unsuitable for use with a cable modem. In some cases, they install one that's just a simple splitter with no bandstop filtering that would work fine. Sadly, it seems your'e out of luck. As a test for this, temporarily disconnect your STB's cable, and connect your cablemodem to the TV port. It should work fine.

It's possible you could get a splitter like the one they install in the brown box outside (they only pull one cable to your house - usually) and wire this to the TV port, and then wire your TV and CM to it, but that's getting past simple, and the insertion loss of the splitter would probably stop it working.

Time to think about getting wireless perhaps ? :)

thunder
02-07-2005, 19:59
It depends what kind of isolator they have installed in the wallplate. If they installed one that's TV and FM, there will be a bandstop filter on the FM port which makes it unsuitable for use with a cable modem. In some cases, they install one that's just a simple splitter with no bandstop filtering that would work fine. Sadly, it seems your'e out of luck. As a test for this, temporarily disconnect your STB's cable, and connect your cablemodem to the TV port. It should work fine.

It's possible you could get a splitter like the one they install in the brown box outside (they only pull one cable to your house - usually) and wire this to the TV port, and then wire your TV and CM to it, but that's getting past simple, and the insertion loss of the splitter would probably stop it working.

Time to think about getting wireless perhaps ? :)
yes there is a small silver stopper on the FM port downstairs does this mean its dead. ??I tried the cable modem into the stb connector but nothing. looks like a wireless router and pcmcia card is the only option.

jaycee
02-07-2005, 21:18
The small silver stopper is what's called a terminator.. that's just there to prevent signal degredation when the port isn't in use.

It's odd that your modem doesn't work on the TV port though. Do you have a Pace digibox ? If so, does the middle light flash or not light ? Does your interactive work ?

thunder
02-07-2005, 22:23
yes got a pace digi box and the light doesnt flash. The interactive works but is god damn slow especially bbci and non ntl demand interactive.

if i connect to fm switch the d/s light on modem flashes really fast.
if i connect to the tv switch (removing set top box) the modem boots then nothing no lights flash ?

soon as go upstairs and connect back to the fm switch its fine (not tried the tv switch upstairs as im obviously attempting to gain a connection downstairs without the need for buying a wireless router & card).

jaycee
02-07-2005, 23:04
Hmm, wierd... The DS light flashing really fast means "No signal on cable". Don't get why when connected to TV no lights flash at all. Oh well, not worth messing with I suppose.

Is there any NTL technician here who could enlighten me as to why this is ? Just out of personal interest.... (electronics is a big hobby of mine)

DWW
03-07-2005, 12:10
It is pretty wierd if the digi box is locking on and the intercative light is permanently on that it doesn't make any sense to me why the modem won't lock onto this, I'd have to be there unless the digi box has an db :confused: attenuator to lower the signal which the modem has not got when downstairs but doesn't need it upstairs as longer cable run??

jaycee
03-07-2005, 17:36
Ahh yes.... I forgot about those :) A simple look in the service menu on the digibox and a look at the modem status page would give this away, but I guess that's too much hassle for the OP to do just to satisfy some techie inclined poster's curiosity :)

thunder
03-07-2005, 19:06
hi, was using a 6db forward path attenuator upstairs for a while (since installation) but removed it as kept getting dropped broadband, since remolving been fine upstairs.

Also sorry for being a bit thick BUT why would the modem work on FM port upstairs and not downstairs but you guys tell me to try the TV port downstairs.. so why was it connected to the FM port upstairs in the first place then and not TV??

Sorry not sure of the difference between the 2 and if you can intermix them?

ntlengineer
03-07-2005, 19:18
It could be that the tv/fm point was put in back to front upstairs. The writing is on the front of the white isolator box but you can put the splitter in the wrong way round.

thunder
03-07-2005, 19:28
okay to end this..

what is the FM port for (if it has been installed correctly)
and what is the TV port for.??

also to save time, can you run a broadband and tv connection off the same port at the same time i.e if i got the tv port to work downstairs could i watch tv and surf at same time or would i lose too much signal?

thanks

homealone
03-07-2005, 19:29
It could be that the tv/fm point was put in back to front upstairs. The writing is on the front of the white isolator box but you can put the splitter in the wrong way round.

hi :welcome: to Cable Forum :wavey:

- exactly, the labelling on the ports is of no significance, it is still puzzling why the modem won't lock on downstairs, though??

ntlengineer
03-07-2005, 19:34
The Fm point transmits fm radio, But around the nottingham area they have not been used for some time. It blocks certain frequencys that are used to transmit digi tv and cable modem services. A standard splitter you would lose 3.5 db and a lot of customers I have been to run a tv and a cable modem from the one splitter. Have you tried going out and opening the brown box on the side of the house to see if the installers just unplugged the downstairs point. If so just swap them over. If you are in the Nottingham area I could drop a two way splitter in to help you out if you wanted.

regards

homealone
03-07-2005, 19:41
okay to end this..

what is the FM port for (if it has been installed correctly)
and what is the TV port for.??

also to save time, can you run a broadband and tv connection off the same port at the same time i.e if i got the tv port to work downstairs could i watch tv and surf at same time or would i lose too much signal?

thanks

the ports are both the same

the NTL cable carries all the signals for analogue & digital TV, broadband and FM radio.

By suitable fitting of splitters or signal filters the engineer configures the sockets to receive the subscribed services.

It is, also, possible to have broadband & TV off the same port, but that would involve messing with the installation - against the terms & conditions of your contract, unless fitted by NTL.

ntlengineer
03-07-2005, 19:41
hi :welcome: to Cable Forum :wavey:

- exactly, the labelling on the ports is of no significance, it is still puzzling why the modem won't lock on downstairs, though??

the labeling on the front is significant. If it is a tv/fm splitter and it has been put in back to front, you would be connecting up to a port that does not carry a frequency for cable modems. ( nottingham area 402.75mhz ) but it the d/s light would slowly flash as if looking for a signal because there would b e something there, just not the correct frequency used for the cable modem to lock on to.

homealone
03-07-2005, 19:48
the labeling on the front is significant. If it is a tv/fm splitter and it has been put in back to front, you would be connecting up to a port that does not carry a frequency for cable modems. ( nottingham area 402.75mhz ) but it the d/s light would slowly flash as if looking for a signal because there would b e something there, just not the correct frequency used for the cable modem to lock on to.

I'm agreeing with you, if you think about it, if the labels were significant, then the installation would be impossible to do backwards ;)

ntlengineer
03-07-2005, 19:53
I'm agreeing with you, if you think about it, if the labels were significant, then the installation would be impossible to do backwards ;)

Yes I know my friend and I apologize if I came across a bit argumentative. The problem is on the new installs the tv/fm writing is printed on the plastic box that houses the splitter. the splitter itself is a seperate entity and can be put in two ways. either facing the customers room or facing towards the outside of the customers premises. This unfortunately means that if it has been installed incorrectly then the output of the splitter is reversed. and the fm point becomes the data point and vice versa.

homealone
03-07-2005, 20:01
Yes I know my friend and I apologize if I came across a bit argumentative. The problem is on the new installs the tv/fm writing is printed on the plastic box that houses the splitter. the splitter itself is a seperate entity and can be put in two ways. either facing the customers room or facing towards the outside of the customers premises. This unfortunately means that if it has been installed incorrectly then the output of the splitter is reversed. and the fm point becomes the data point and vice versa.

no problem, no need to apologise, it is good of you to take the trouble to explain, as I think the OP was getting a little hung up on the labels :)

ntlengineer
03-07-2005, 20:11
why not just take it downstairs and phone ntl up and tell them it isnt working. An engineer will come out and just tell him that when it was installed you stated that you would be moving the modem intermittently but it doesnt work downstairs. They should sort it for you. We get it all the time and we cant prove that it wasnt the deal either way.

thunder
04-07-2005, 20:57
The Fm point transmits fm radio, But around the nottingham area they have not been used for some time. It blocks certain frequencys that are used to transmit digi tv and cable modem services. A standard splitter you would lose 3.5 db and a lot of customers I have been to run a tv and a cable modem from the one splitter. Have you tried going out and opening the brown box on the side of the house to see if the installers just unplugged the downstairs point. If so just swap them over. If you are in the Nottingham area I could drop a two way splitter in to help you out if you wanted.

regards
Hi , that would be fab if you could could you let me know how to contact you direct for either mailing information or drop off? - In Sutton in Ashfield, but work in central Notts.

ntlengineer
04-07-2005, 20:59
I do work in sutton about once a fortnight. send me your no and I will contact you.

spike7451
04-07-2005, 22:08
hi, was using a 6db forward path attenuator upstairs for a while (since installation) but removed it as kept getting dropped broadband, since remolving been fine upstairs.

Also sorry for being a bit thick BUT why would the modem work on FM port upstairs and not downstairs but you guys tell me to try the TV port downstairs.. so why was it connected to the FM port upstairs in the first place then and not TV??

Sorry not sure of the difference between the 2 and if you can intermix them?
It could be you have a tv/tv isolator fitted instead,especially if the second instal was done after the first.(the label on these s green)You cant run tv or bb off the fm hook port.