PDA

View Full Version : My Installation was terrible

D@n
24-06-2005, 12:02
Im not sure if this is the right place to post but i will carry on.When the guy came to setup up my NTL broadband modem and cable i thought he would of drilled it like he did with my friends house and cousins but he just gave me the wire and said to trail it through the house.so now i hav a cable hanging down the stairs and i hav nearly caught myself on it a couple of time and my dog has nearly broke her legs on it by tripping on it.We called ntl up and they said we will have to pay for it to be drilled and i dont think thats fair because my cousin didnt pay they just got it drilled so it was hidden away so you cant choke on it.Im going to email them again to ask if they can get someone to sort this out and i also wanted to post it here to see if someone from NTL sees this and comes to the rescue

Jules
24-06-2005, 12:05
Welcome to the forum Dan, they must have drilled through a wall to get the wires into the house? were does it enter your house and were is your tele and comp located?

D@n
24-06-2005, 12:06
The cable comes thru the front room under the door up the stairs then into my room there was no drilling done just some wall plugs put on the skirting board to keep the wire from touch floor
TV - Downstairs living room
Comp - Upstairs my room

Jules
24-06-2005, 12:09
Sounds like a supervisor needs to come out and have a look, I am sure some one here can help as there are a few people that work for NTL :)

D@n
24-06-2005, 12:11
How would i be able to get a supervisor to come look at it?

Jules
24-06-2005, 12:19
Hopefully some one here will be able to help you :) Failing that you could ring and ask them to send one out as you have a unsafe installation that you are not happy with it

paulyoung666
24-06-2005, 12:19
hi and :welcome: to the site , ring ntl up and complain :)

D@n
24-06-2005, 12:21
Will do that thanks guys

andyhandy1972
26-06-2005, 15:56
Im not sure if this is the right place to post but i will carry on.When the guy came to setup up my NTL broadband modem and cable i thought he would of drilled it like he did with my friends house and cousins but he just gave me the wire and said to trail it through the house.so now i hav a cable hanging down the stairs and i hav nearly caught myself on it a couple of time and my dog has nearly broke her legs on it by tripping on it.We called ntl up and they said we will have to pay for it to be drilled and i dont think thats fair because my cousin didnt pay they just got it drilled so it was hidden away so you cant choke on it.Im going to email them again to ask if they can get someone to sort this out and i also wanted to post it here to see if someone from NTL sees this and comes to the rescue

Jules
26-06-2005, 15:59
Lets hope he comes back and lets us know if it got sorted

And welcome to the forum Andy :)

andyhandy1972
26-06-2005, 16:01
whoever done the installation was a complete cowboy, he should have done the installation the way you wanted it even if it took all day, the installers are equipped with drills and drillbits and all the tools required to do an install anywhere in the house, even in the garden garage/shed, you need to get in touch with ntl and complain whoever you spoke to was wrong to say you need to pay, they must be new or not sure.

hairy_mick
26-06-2005, 18:41
i second that andyhandy1972 sounds like a shocking install get on the phone and tell them you want it doing right if its unsafe then they have a duty to put it right.

D@n
26-06-2005, 20:38
I havent sorted it yet which number do i call by the way to complain about it and get it sorted?

Marge
26-06-2005, 20:52
Ring 0800 052 2000, they should be able to speak to someone in Installs for you :tu:

Shaun
26-06-2005, 20:54
Have you complained to Ntl at all yet?

Their number is 0800 0522000

If they fob you off or you don't get the reply you think you should then please come back. I'm sure the Team would be willing to escalate the problem if you are still getting nowhere after complaining. :)

absl
26-06-2005, 22:37
maybe he's sorted it out himself. lol

jaycee
27-06-2005, 02:38
I have heard that NTL do installs 2 ways, depending on the area:

1) own personnel
2) Contractors

I was warned once by an NTL own installer that the local contractors are often complete cowboys who will totally fail to do the job properly. They don't care as 9 times out of 10 the job cannot be traced back to an individual workman and the contractors are simply not bothered.

Andy E
27-06-2005, 13:23
I have heard that NTL do installs 2 ways, depending on the area:

1) own personnel
2) Contractors

I was warned once by an NTL own installer that the local contractors are often complete cowboys who will totally fail to do the job properly. They don't care as 9 times out of 10 the job cannot be traced back to an individual workman and the contractors are simply not bothered.

Lol , the old them and us mentality, mind you I've never seen any management in Ntl trying to discourage it.

Contractors get double the work that a NTL installer or in house installers do. This does not seem to bother NTL who expect the same quality of install between in house and contractors, even though the contractors have approximately half the time to complete the same job .

Having said that I know a lot of contractors here in Belfast that do take pride in their work, Which is surprising really considering the amount or crap they have to take both from NTL and their employers . I also know a few who couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t give a fiddlers .Same as anywhere really.

One of the neatest contractors ever IMO, used to post regularly on this board , under the name of Earl of Bronze, who sadly left because of the daily cockups that NTL make, he just couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t take it anymore and walked.

Interesting fact †¦number of Ntl "in house "that have been sacked in the last 6 months for gross misconduct †¦ââ⠀šÂ¬Ã‚¦.4

Number of contractor sacked in same periodââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦Ã¢ââ↚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦ 0

And regarding not being able to trace who did a job.. thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s complete nonsense

When a job is complete it must be booked off or you donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get paid for itââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ the first thing NTL ask for when you ring them (after being on hold for 30 mins or more) is your crew number .

Andy E

DWW
27-06-2005, 15:57
Sounds like the bloke turned up on a Friday afternoon!

One thing that sometimes effects the overall quality of peoples installations is their workload which can fluctuate immensely,though this should not stop or prevent technicians taking pride in their work.

Is the cable running from the cable tv digi box to your pc as if this is the case it will be cat5 cable. You could get a wireless router if you didn't want the unsightly cable trail upstairs. Getting very affordable now......

jaycee
27-06-2005, 17:40
Lol , the old them and us mentality, mind you I've never seen any management in Ntl trying to discourage it.
Thanks for that. I must admit thought it rang true with a job that a friend had had done by a contractor for NTL... he basically drilled a hole in her wall, stuck the coax through, put the isolator on and cut some coax for the stb and cablemodem - and left!

No wallplate, no setup, nothing, when asked about the cable modem he said "Move your computer in the front room then, i cant be a***d to mess around". Needless to say she rang NTL, furious, who told her "We've had numerous complaints about him... he won't be working for us any more." They then sent out their own crew who redid the install from scratch.

Conversely my own NTL install was done by NTL's own staff, and was very neat and tidy. I guess it's just the odds though, im sure plenty of people have heard of the reverse being true.

hairy_mick
27-06-2005, 18:21
i am afraid its a case of quantity not quality makes it look good for the shareholders.

spike7451
27-06-2005, 21:24

Contractors get double the work that a NTL installer or in house installers do. This does not seem to bother NTL who expect the same quality of install between in house and contractors, even though the contractors have approximately half the time to complete the same job .

Having said that I know a lot of contractors here in Belfast that do take pride in their work, Which is surprising really considering the amount or crap they have to take both from NTL and their employers . I also know a few who couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t give a fiddlers .Same as anywhere really.

One of the neatest contractors ever IMO, used to post regularly on this board , under the name of Earl of Bronze, who sadly left because of the daily cockups that NTL make, he just couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t take it anymore and walked.

Interesting fact †¦number of Ntl "in house "that have been sacked in the last 6 months for gross misconduct †¦ââ⠀šÂ¬Ã‚¦.4

Number of contractor sacked in same periodââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦Ã¢ââ↚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦ 0

And regarding not being able to trace who did a job.. thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s complete nonsense

When a job is complete it must be booked off or you donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get paid for itââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ the first thing NTL ask for when you ring them (after being on hold for 30 mins or more) is your crew number .

Andy E

Andy,Sorry mate,the number of in house guys sacked was 2,not 4! One for stealing & one for blowing jobs out!I think you know who i mean.......
The daily cock-ups are now reaching hourly cock-ups!All the brass seem to care about is the spreadsheets! They are more interested in getting a job done & as many as possible in the day than the quality of the actual installs.We have a good set of contractors here who usually do a good standard of work.
Unfortunatly,about 3 years ago,NTL decided to get rid of the quality control techs & have ONLY NOW replaced them in a lesser capacity.
Spike

Andy E
28-06-2005, 00:01
Sorry mate must have been mis-informed

I totally agree with you over the QC's
Many guys didnt like them, but I never had any problems with them
Still see Mr E now and again .... He always said cut down on the quantity and the quality will improve ...

But as you say, all the so called management are intrested in are figures:td:

Im so glad im out of it now ;)

Andy E

spike7451
28-06-2005, 18:31
Sure,Andy.Jimbo went to the contractors as a supervisor after being being QC for x years...AND he got shatfed!If you did'nt do a cr** job then you had nowt to fear from the QC's.
Here's a idea for the original poster.Take a few digi photo's of the install,post them here & ask the Mods to pass them on to NTL.
Wonder if that would raise them from slumber!????
NAHHH!
sPIKE

Kliro
28-06-2005, 19:35
Maybe the installer thought you didn't want the cable tacked to the wall?? (I know i wouldnt)

Did you ask him to do it at the time??

marky
29-06-2005, 00:09
when i went from stb to modem i wanted it in my bedroom i wasnt in but my wife was they gave here a 20 mtr ethernet lead and said see ya bye

D@n
30-06-2005, 16:17
Ok this is whats happening at the moment.2 guys came around advertising NTL services and i guess i got lucky :) so i tell them about it and they said its awful and took name number address etc... they also asked if we had everything on NTL and i have so he said we got a good bonus then and we should have been looked after.So he is going to pass it on and get it sorted.
And to the guy who asked about tacking it to the wall.I wouldnt mind if they drilled it aslong as its neat not a big hole in the wall or ceiling, just as long as it is neat and hidden so i cannot trip over it anymore.I will reply again if it does/doesnt get sorted
Thanks guys, Daniel

looselipsuk
07-07-2005, 00:37
I didn't want to start a new thread and I think this one fits the bill.
My mate has just had Digital TV installed along with Broadband in his front living room.
My own set up has a wall plate mounted out of which come the necessary cables.
In his case all they have done is drill through the wall and left a short piece of cable and a splitter just dangling in the air.
He has rung CS and told that is how it is done these days.
My question here, is he being fobbed off and should he insist somebody comes out and does a proper job?
I appreciate any feedback available.

jaycee
07-07-2005, 06:36
That is rubbish. Tell him to insist someone come out and make a neat job of it, if they won't, tell him to threaten them with damage to his property.

D@n
20-07-2005, 09:38
ok its been a couple weeks since those ppl came around still its not sorted this is getting ridiculious we have the complete full ntl services and we get nothing with that, seems to me Ntl is more bothered about getting new and more customers then looking after the ones they already have.it would be nice if i could talk to a member of ntl staff on this forum and ask him to help me out

Chris
20-07-2005, 10:15
ok its been a couple weeks since those ppl came around still its not sorted this is getting ridiculious we have the complete full ntl services and we get nothing with that, seems to me Ntl is more bothered about getting new and more customers then looking after the ones they already have.it would be nice if i could talk to a member of ntl staff on this forum and ask him to help me out

Dan, have you actually phoned NTL yet? Because if you haven't, there is no official record anywhere in their systems that you are unhappy with your install. You *must* phone them. People on this forum might be able to help you but you have to help yourself as well. I'm sorry to say at the moment it sounds as if you haven't done much!

D@n
20-07-2005, 10:17
We were going to phone them but 2 ntl employees came round and we told them they said they would get it sorted.2 weeks later its not sorted no phone call nothing.
i will phone them and then ill see what happens

Chris
20-07-2005, 10:21
Salesmen are programmed to say nice things to you. That's how they earn a living. I wouldn't have had any faith in them actually doing it though. Definitely phone them - but you need to be clear when you do call them, why you have left it almost a month before complaining.

D@n
22-07-2005, 21:05
NTL are really starting to annoy me.wen we called up about them not charging us 3 times they said yes we will sort it there wont be any extra charges and now they upgraded me to 1mb from 300k without me saying so and they have taken £14 for upgrading to 1mb im getting VERY annoyed and i think i will talk on the phone instead.

jaycee
24-07-2005, 01:20
They should not have charged for the upgrade, however 1Mb is the lowest package that they do now so this will be why they have upgraded. As far as I know however, the upgrades should be free....

Time to pull the "Sort it out or i cancel" card

Scottsw
31-07-2005, 10:30
The upgrade is free. If they've taken anything more than £17.99 then that's something to do with NTL's crap billing system. Anyways, did you get that issue sorted out?

D@n
31-07-2005, 11:25
they took £31 they said it was for the upgrade and the months BB normal fee which is 17.99 and i hav just heard that its 9.99 for the 1st 12 months this is really doing my head in NTL just want more customers meaning more money ill be glad if this EVER gets fixed id love to talk to a member of staff for my self see if it acutally gets sorted

Scottsw
31-07-2005, 11:35
That's not right isit.. they can't charge you for an upgrade which is free. With the £9.99 1mb offer for 12 months, they can offer that too you if you threaten to leave them. Which call centre to you get transfered to? Wales, Manchester or Glasgow?

Raistlin
31-07-2005, 11:41
Which call centre to you get transfered to? Wales, Manchester or Glasgow?

You left one out ;)

:welcome: to the site BTW :)

Scottsw
31-07-2005, 11:44
There are only three call centres where they have a Customer Services department?

Mick
31-07-2005, 15:25
they took £31 they said it was for the upgrade and the months BB normal fee which is 17.99 and i hav just heard that its 9.99 for the 1st 12 months this is really doing my head in NTL just want more customers meaning more money ill be glad if this EVER gets fixed id love to talk to a member of staff for my self see if it acutally gets sorted

Please send me some details and briefly explain the problems your still having, via Private message and I will forward this on to ntl on Monday for them to look at. To send me a private message click here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&userid=1). Thanks. :)

31-07-2005, 19:11
Back to the guy who had the poor install.... Tell NTL that you want to disconnect due to poor workmanship. This WILL get everything sorted.

atlantis
11-08-2005, 22:14
D@n,
I hope by now you've managed to get things sorted out with NTL.
I've had problems too, and I list them in case it helps you and others.
1) We moved in here on 24th June, and NTL arrived at 11am, to find the previouse tenents, who were NTL customers, had smashed the broadband modem, cut cables everywhere, leaving two cables intact.
One was a thin mains cable, the other the NTL tv cable feeding the rear living room (we have two as it's an old house, the so called front palour room is where the cables from NTL come into the property).
2)The previous tenents had made a wooden boxed in base for a fire surround, and imprisoned the two cables, mains and NTL) behind it, trapping them both in many bends.
3)I contacted my landlord, who arranged for a proper electrician to install mains supply to the rear position where my tv is, using white conduit to make a neat job.
4)Now I ring NTL, as the electrician finds the NTL cable is damaged, and split, the CS girl thinks NTL may charge £50 for re-cabling, but it's going to be down to the installer to decide if he considers the cable damaged by the actions of the previous tenents.
Yes, he did, and no charge was levied against me, plus, he fed the cable along the same white conduit as the mains feeding the tv room.
It looks neat, clean, and works without any interferance (I questioned the NTL guy on possible side effects on having both cables in the same conduit, asking about interferance etc) he assured me there would be none, and he was 100% right.
My point is that as a new customer to NTL, not only did I get new cable feeding to the outside box on the outer wall of my home, I also get them to feed the interior cable where I wanted it to go, it took him a while for both jobs, but he did it without any fuss whatsoever, so if all this work can be done for me, you too, and everyone else, is entitled to the same level of workmanship

D@n
24-09-2005, 22:25
This is bull**** i am so annoyed today and ntl just tops it everyone here gets there problems sorted but wen its my family it not sorted wen and if they actually come to do it i aint doing anything for them nice cuz they are useless
sorry for the language but i am not having a good day