PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED ( Full details in post )

chaokusc
19-06-2005, 02:19
I got my PC online, with the eithernet into a usb device, fast internet.
I got a D-LINK plugged into my PS2 (Slimline) and i set up the connection info.

The IP i need to enter manually because it needs to be the IP of the D-LINK, the subnet mask and gataway i changed on D-LINK to be the same as my PC...

Well anyways, DNS Server IP's are set auto... however on the connection test i always get a failed because Server (2). has problems.

Can anyone tell me the IP's so i can put them in manually...
It worked once before (like 3 month ago) and thats the last time i used the PS2... but i got a few online games and wanna play, D-LINK was reset (my brother) so anyone with the DNS IP's please reply asap... its important to get this done fast

Thanks

Paul
19-06-2005, 02:22
ntl's dns servers are ;

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2005, 02:25
Sorry, I'm a tad confused by your post.

What is the model type or you D-Link please? Is is a switch or a router?

Are you wired up so that your PC must be on when your PS2 is to connect to the internet, or can the PS2 be used independently?
i.e. are you:
1)
modem > PC (USB)
PC > Dlink > PS2

2)
Modem > Dlink
Dlink > PC (USB)
Dlink > PS2

chaokusc
19-06-2005, 02:41
2.DNS test results:
----------------------------------------------------------
DNS resolve failed
No response from server.(2)

This happened when it was on auto too, please is there any way to get this fixed ?

What is the model type or you D-Link please? Is is a switch or a router?
My D-Link information can be found on this page, its where i bought it
http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=21

Are you wired up so that your PC must be on when your PS2 is to connect to the internet, or can the PS2 be used independently?
Yes, its a wireless D-Link that connects to my Wireless device on my pc... my PC has to be turned on, but everything set on my PC is correct (it wasnt reset)

My Setup
STB Eithernet > USB Device
USB Device > into my PC USB Port
THIS IS MY PC INTERNET DEFAULT
Wirless Device from PC to D-LINK (D-Link) works on my laptop, so no problems there.
D-LINK Eithernet > back of my PS2 Slim eithernet port

I have a ntl:home Broadband + Console Setup Pack, it contains a 2 Port Hub (eithernet) + Plug, eithernet wire and a white wire that can go into the back of a STB

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2005, 02:42
OK, so you have a wireless Network card in your PC. That is being used to send messages to your D-Link wireless bridge. The bridge connects using ethernet to the lappy, or the PS2.

You have done the obvious of powering down fully the PC, Dlink and PS2 / lappy whenever you swap the connections?

It should just be a matter of copying the settings being used in your lappy onto the PS2 :confused:

chaokusc
19-06-2005, 02:59
Everything from the set correctly.... it connects to my network.... it just fails DNS Server 2 because there is no response.... it says on my screen....

2.DNS test results:
DNS resolve failed

how can i fix this ?

Paul
19-06-2005, 04:12
Just to be clear here;

If you connect the laptop to the d-link (ethernet, exactly the same way you connect the PS2) can you browse the internet ?

If you connect the PS2 you get that message ?

chaokusc
19-06-2005, 07:28
Well once i connect the D-Link to my laptop. it works perfectly... internet, and sending/recieving files from my PC...

Thats because once i plug it in my laptop, windows auto configures the connection to connect to a local LAN

with the PS2 its different, i have to put in the details such as IP and stuff, i tried it all on auto but even then it fails on DNS Server 2

Tezcatlipoca
19-06-2005, 17:01
I'm confused :confused:

If you're using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC to connect the PS2, then *why* do you also have the ntl Broadband & Console service?

There is no need to have both!

yoclick
15-07-2005, 10:16
Hi, im new to the site and i saw this problem and its just like mine!

I have the following hardware:

D-Link G-Band Router DI-524 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316)
Belkin Wireless Ethernet Adapter (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=170842&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirele ssNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F)
Old big black PS2!
Network Adapter for PS2
Im am also on NTL 2MB broadband

Ok, so i already have a wireless connection through my house for a laptop and that is working fine. This is connected by modem>router>PC/PS2 etc. However i am unable to connect my ps2 online.

All the hardware is connected and i used the network disk to auto figure all my settings. I then went through to the first test and it connected. Wahey! :)

I then come to the next test which is testing the DNS. I already configured the primary and secondary DNS addresses as 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100.

However the test failed there and so i cannot access the internet using the PS2. This is all done wirelesly. The error message is the same as above:
2.DNS test results:
DNS resolve failed

I know there is an issue with NTL and PS2 but i thought with the wireless router i would be able to avoid having to pay the extra £2 a month?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 11:50
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I'm not sure here (not having a PS2 to experment with - if someone wants to donate one ;) ), the DNS IPs you have used relate to your local network. They are though different internal networks 192.168.4.xx & 192.168.8.xxI suspect you might need to use internet based ones, Can you set this to automate?

yoclick
15-07-2005, 12:09
Yup automatic has the same problem and according to my router the DNS is as said, heres a screenshot:

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/3081/router8og.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

:( Also when setting up the PS2, it asks for primary and secondary so i have inputted both. I just cant think of what else!

Stuart
15-07-2005, 12:15
yoclick, Welcome.

Have you disabled Universal Plug 'n Play on the router? The reason I ask is that when I first got Xbox live, I got the same DNS problems despite having the right DNS servers specified manually? I found that by switching UPNP on, it enabled my Xbox to attach to Xbox Live.

I don't have a PS2, so I can't say for sure that solution will work.

yoclick
15-07-2005, 12:19
UPNP Settings is enabled.
Gaming Mode is enabled.

I know your all as confused as me now!

Oh, does this have somthing to do with the Mac Address? The mac address of the ps2 is different from the router. If i change so both are the same i still cant connect but my computers internet is gone aswell. However the address's are not the same.

Also under tools>miss. in the routers config, i found this:

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/8828/dns6je.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

Does this have somthing to do with it?

Sorry ive just never understood networking and am not very good at it!

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 12:27
MAC addresses of things on the same network should be different. See if disabling UPNP settings makes any difference, as said above.

yoclick
15-07-2005, 12:34
Doesnt the post above say that once UPNP was turned ON, it started working? Well i tried anyway and nope, nothing.

One thing i did find out though is that if the DNS on the PS2 is set to auto, it fails the test almost instantly. If however i have manually set it, it takes much longer. Doubt that means anything?

Thanks for your quick replies everyone! I really appreciate it!

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 13:57
Of course you could try inputting just the primary DNS address, leaving the secondary blank, and seeing what response the PS2 gives to all that.

yoclick
15-07-2005, 14:00
Nope that didnt work either. I dont think the hardware likes me for some reason....

yoclick
15-07-2005, 21:08
Yaay! Its working!

I upgraded the firmware on the D-Link Router and followed this guide:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1474

A few other minor things....(mainly because of my tempramental hardware) and it was working! Yeeees, not now i have to wait for the pin :-(!

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2005, 21:18
Glad to see you got a solution :tu:

Yaimen
21-07-2005, 14:21
I just read the entire topic and I just want to be sure. If I connect my PS2 to my laptop which is connected wirelessly to my router then I can access the internet? Also, will I need to forward any ports due to my router's firewall or worry about the WEP encryption?

Stuart
21-07-2005, 16:18
If Internet Connection Sharing is enabled on the laptop, then you should be able to. However, if your router has free ethernet ports, it will be easier to use that.

:welcome: to Cable Forum BTW.

Yaimen
21-07-2005, 20:45
thanks

Yaimen
23-07-2005, 05:43
false alarm it didn't work. i just finished trying it in vain maybe I should go into further detail.

I am using a linksys WRT54GS wireless router and the PS2 is on a diffrent floor than the router. I have the latest Firmware, and Internet sharing is enabled on the laptop that I hope to use as a wireless acess point. The laptop is online and I have connected ps2 to the laptop using a ethernet cable. UPnP is disabled on my router but there is WEP encryption and a firewall. I've tried to do it myself after reading the posts but to no avail. All I get is a failure to connect to ISP message everytime I test and I am getting more confused and desperate every second.

Could someone please help me. Thanks in advance.

Petepete2
05-02-2006, 19:34
I am experiencing exatly the same problems except i am using AOL 9 with a BT Voyager 100 and ICS with a crossover cable. Every time i try and pass the diagnostics test it completes th first test fine then the DNS test fails.

DNS Resolve Failed
Servers not responding.2

I have been trying really hard for months and months but still failing to connect please anyone help im on the brink of giving up.
Thanks in advance and i hope you can help.