PDA

View Full Version : Installing wireless on top of NTL cable - any thoughts

jonny211
17-06-2005, 11:52
Hiya all,

The missus doesn't like the coax trailing through the house from the wall socket to the cable modem byt the PC so it looks as if a wireless network is on the cards.

Can anyone recommend a decent wireless Router that I can attach to the cable modem via ethernet? I'm looking for a 108Mbps Wireless-G router with an ADSL RJ11 port just in case me and NTL part company and the cable modem becomes redundant ;)

Cheers!

Jon

Halcyon
17-06-2005, 11:57
Firstly, Welcome to the forums :)

Either you get a cable modem router or an adsl one. you cant use the same one for both.
As you are on NTL, you will need a router intended for cable modems.
I would suggest Linksys for a good make of wireless routers.

MovedGoalPosts
17-06-2005, 11:59
:welcome: to cable forum :D

As far as I am aware routers with combined ADSL modems do not have an ability to disable the modem so they will then work with cable.

You should just buy the wireless router for now and if you need to switch to ADSL at some future date, you could then just get an ADSL modem in place of the cable modem.

Linksys are a popular make, but quite a few seem to like Belkin and Netgear too.

Halcyon
17-06-2005, 12:05
Take a look at this Linksys one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0009J5AXY/system-requirements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-0614845-8868620).... Seems quite good:

Flubflow
17-06-2005, 12:05
Check the forum's sticky threads. Here's a useful one....
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16296

bob_a_builder
17-06-2005, 12:10
The Linksys one is a good 'un - but a bit pricy from amazon

Try HERE (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8251964743&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45023) instead

EDIT: sorry missed bit about 108Mb rather then 54Mb , that would account for price difference

jonny211
17-06-2005, 12:51
Wow, quick replies - many thanks!

That router looks a possibilty, but thinking further I may just get a combined ADSL router/4-port 10Base100 switch/Wireless jobbie and chuck the ethernet from the cable modem into one of the switch ports.

If I can't disable the ADSL port on the back I'm hoping to use it as a fancy switch for the time being with a view to going to ADSL in the future - if that'll work that is?!?

Jon

Stuartbe
17-06-2005, 12:56
Erm... sorry that wont work... You need a cable router (ethernet) if you are going to use the NTL connection.

If you have ADSL then it will be o.k.

If you use the switch port it will simply connect the cable modem to multiple computers and wont route the trafic. This will result in no firewall and you would only be able to use one computer off the switch...

HTH

Monster Jedi
17-06-2005, 13:09
I have a slight problem with wireless router on NTl. It works fine but my speed over a few hrs drops by half then i have to reset the router any ideas mukers

SMHarman
17-06-2005, 13:16
:welcome: to cable forum :D

As far as I am aware routers with combined ADSL modems do not have an ability to disable the modem so they will then work with cable.
Some have the ability to do this, yet only an RJ11 plug for the WAN making it a little pointless.

nffc
17-06-2005, 13:35
I have a slight problem with wireless router on NTl. It works fine but my speed over a few hrs drops by half then i have to reset the router any ideas mukers
Check your connection settings. What router is it?

As for the original topic the Belkin 802.11g is pretty sweet so I'd imagine the 108 Mb/s version is too. :)

Monster Jedi
17-06-2005, 14:46
The router is by peak and so are the usb cards

brettjbuckley
19-06-2005, 11:12
I have used a Linksys wireless router for some months and it works very well, but also proves very prone to interference from microwaves and cordless phones. I am looking to lift the floor boards and go wired.

jonny211
20-06-2005, 11:27
Hiya Stuart (and all),

Erm... sorry that wont work... You need a cable router (ethernet) if you are going to use the NTL connection.

If you have ADSL then it will be o.k.

If you use the switch port it will simply connect the cable modem to multiple computers and wont route the trafic. This will result in no firewall and you would only be able to use one computer off the switch...

That's a shame, I had hoped that the switch on the ADSL router would be transparent and so I could see the cable modem via ethernet through the switch port as if the modem were connected directly to the ethernet on my PC.

[EDIT] after a bit more of a looksy a router looks like the way forward, but does anyone know if NTL is PPoA or PPoE? Some routers seeem to be fussy.

PS. I have a software firewall so I'm not too bothered about the hardware firewall at this time.

Ta.

Jon