PDA

View Full Version : just can't figure the last bit out!!!

nelly
17-06-2005, 10:24
So far as a 'network virgin' i have managed to
1) linked up a pc to my NTL CM with no ntl software.
2) installed a second card into the pc linked to a hub to form a home network (so i can plug my laptop in and work from home).
3) linked up the hardware and got machines connected. Run ICS on pc. Main pc works perfectly. I can map drives from either machine but the laptop still will not connect to the internet or my mail.

I have tried directly connecting my laptop to my cm and having rebooted both it works. So why will it not work via my main machine??????

so close yey so far..............:confused:

H E L P !

Stuartbe
17-06-2005, 10:29
:welcome: to the forum :)

Can you ping from the main computer to the laptop and vica versa ?

If you open a command prompt up on the laptop and type " ipconfig " what IP address is coming up ?

Have a look at this thread - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16565

Or this one -
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6648

Both written by hansome devils :D

HTH

nelly
17-06-2005, 10:56
I can ping the laptop from pc.
If i try to ping the pc from the laptop i get;
destination host unreachable if i try the ntl ip and
request timed out if i try the second card ip.

Does this mean i have problem with the second card????

zing_deleted
17-06-2005, 11:20
have you bought crossover ethernet cable or patch? If its patch then this would be why its not working

Salu
17-06-2005, 11:42
Sounds like a firewall issue if you can ping one but not the other...

nightdevil
19-06-2005, 14:33
So far as a 'network virgin' i have managed to
1) linked up a pc to my NTL CM with no ntl software.
2) installed a second card into the pc linked to a hub to form a home network (so i can plug my laptop in and work from home).
3) linked up the hardware and got machines connected. Run ICS on pc. Main pc works perfectly. I can map drives from either machine but the laptop still will not connect to the internet or my mail.

I have tried directly connecting my laptop to my cm and having rebooted both it works. So why will it not work via my main machine??????

so close yey so far..............:confused:

H E L P !

You say you ran ICS on pc but did you also do it on the laptop? In order for the networking to work you have to run the networking wizard on both machines, one as the main pc connecting directly to the internet sharing the connection and on the laptop as the guest pc connecting through the main pc...can you see both pcs through network places? What operating system are they running? You also need a cross-cable rather than a straight cable to network this way:)

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2005, 17:51
If Nelly can map dives on both the main PC and the lappy, the cable setup is not the problem. No need to change anything there. The two PCs are seeing each other correctly.

Nightdevil is possibly on hte right track in terms of running ICS wizard on both the main PC and the lappy?

zing_deleted
19-06-2005, 19:33
I can ping the laptop from pc.
If i try to ping the pc from the laptop i get;
destination host unreachable if i try the ntl ip and
request timed out if i try the second card ip.

Does this mean i have problem with the second card????

He can ping from laptop from pc but not the other way could this be the wrong lead just transfering data one way?

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2005, 20:06
He can ping from laptop from pc but not the other way could this be the wrong lead just transfering data one way?

But the OP says he "can map drives from either machine". You couldn't do that if the connection cable between the two computers is at fault?

budwieser
19-06-2005, 22:31
Could be a problem if he`s using Zone Alarm firewall!
I had the same problem until i disconnected it.

zing_deleted
19-06-2005, 22:57
But the OP says he "can map drives from either machine". You couldn't do that if the connection cable between the two computers is at fault?

Just clutching a straw dude :D

nightdevil
20-06-2005, 00:45
If Nelly can map dives on both the main PC and the lappy, the cable setup is not the problem. No need to change anything there. The two PCs are seeing each other correctly.

Nightdevil is possibly on hte right track in terms of running ICS wizard on both the main PC and the lappy?

yep you definately have to run it on both machines...i know this from experience before i bought a router and went with ethernet cards and cross cables

nelly
21-06-2005, 23:07
I have now made my main pc fall over!!!!!!!
Have to instal win 98 then try again.
Have check leads etc all ok. Can see both machines it has to be something to do with ICS or the fact that main pc is 98 and laptop is xp!

Dont know but will keep plugging away!:dunce:

MovedGoalPosts
22-06-2005, 00:03
Very odd. Once you have reloadeds everything, make sure you have run ICS on both the desktop and lappy.

Also seen in another thread check that you have the most recent drivers for the network cards loaded. Don't rely on Windoze update, check the manufacturer's website too.

nightdevil
22-06-2005, 14:08
I have now made my main pc fall over!!!!!!!
Have to instal win 98 then try again.
Have check leads etc all ok. Can see both machines it has to be something to do with ICS or the fact that main pc is 98 and laptop is xp!

Dont know but will keep plugging away!:dunce:

xp doesnt like networking with any previous versions unless its the main computer...try running the home networking wizard on the laptop, choosing the 'connects through another pc' option, at the end make a networking disk when it asks then use that to set up the laptop, cos you will need to update some files to work with xp..the connection to choose there as you will know...the computer connects directly to the internet and other computers connect through it option. On the laptop if you find you still cant make the internet connection...go into network connections, right click on the connection you have set up, properties then advanced and turn off the windows firewall....then try the internet again.

cant spell today :dozey: