PDA

View Full Version : IP Addresses

Theodoric
27-09-2003, 17:03
I have a Sygate firewall and, after intially finding out and allowing access to such IP addresses as my virus checker, I became suitably paranoid and said 'no' to everything else.

However, I have finally got around to looking further into one or two of the frequently occurring addresses and I'm now after a bit of advice.

Two, addresses, of the form 80.2.x.x, belong, I discovered, to 'Ntl Internet Bromley BIA Site' and 'Ntl Internet Baguley BIA site'. Why do these two sites regularly try to contact me and why does my saying 'no' every time seem have no effect on my ntl connection - are they of no importance?

Another frequent address is 239.255.255.250. Whois said that it was part of a block reserved for special purposes and to refer to RFC 3171. I Googled this RFC but, to be honest, it was so full of technical jargon that I hadn't the faintest idea what it was on about.

Chris
27-09-2003, 18:47
I can't answer your question, but I do know that having my firewall - Norton - set to block absolutely everything at all times has no apparent effect on my internet connection.

Atomic22
27-09-2003, 20:13
yeh my zone alarm has gone from blocking about 30 items every night to over 2500 items a night.....all from ntl ip addys....its about time ntl pulled their fingers out and did something im sick of my logs filling up with their icmp ping crap every night

Tricky
27-09-2003, 20:34
Wonder if they discount the ICMP Ping (responses and all) from the 1gb cap traffic?

Tiptoes
30-09-2003, 10:29
Theo,

are you on broadband or Dial up?

Some ICMP messages are harmless and IP address is in the reserved category meaning that it is reserved for certain functions or purposes commonly as accepted for use on common networks.

The RFC you quote is for multicasting which means that when someone uses that Address in basic terms it means that someone Possibly on you network is "allowing" one to many transmissions of data from

Does this happen each time you connect?

are you using any download or file sharing programs?

Theodoric
30-09-2003, 18:44
Theo,

are you on broadband or Dial up?

Some ICMP messages are harmless and IP address is in the reserved category meaning that it is reserved for certain functions or purposes commonly as accepted for use on common networks.

The RFC you quote is for multicasting which means that when someone uses that Address in basic terms it means that someone Possibly on you network is "allowing" one to many transmissions of data from

Does this happen each time you connect?

are you using any download or file sharing programs?
I'm on broadband. I'm not using any download or file sharing programs; as far as I know there is only me and ntl.

Following my normal practice of Googling before asking a question, I have just looked up ICMP and found:

"Short for Internet Control Message Protocol, an extension to the Internet Protocol (IP) defined by RFC 792. ICMP supports packets containing error, control, and informational messages. The PING command, for example, uses ICMP to test an Internet connection."

Having battered my head against RFC 3171, I decide to give RFC 792 a miss. However, from the last sentence in the quote, is it simply ntl trying to check their Internet connection to me?

Tiptoes
30-09-2003, 19:01
No not particularly,

As far as I know NTL dont use multicast in that respect.

They do however use router solicitation (ICMP type 10) and so forth.

Does Sygate give you the ICMP Type in its log?

there are many different type of ICMPs used as described in the RFC.

Theodoric
30-09-2003, 20:09
No not particularly,

As far as I know NTL dont use multicast in that respect.

They do however use router solicitation (ICMP type 10) and so forth.

Does Sygate give you the ICMP Type in its log?

there are many different type of ICMPs used as described in the RFC.
No, it just says ICMP under a column headed protocol.

Tiptoes
01-10-2003, 00:17
No, it just says ICMP under a column headed protocol.

Okay what is the full log message.

hobbie
02-10-2003, 02:05
I am not a techie, but as far as I know, ntl do ping your internet addy,in order to check whether you are online or not.(probably a hangover from the 56k dial up--and 2hour cut-off thing)
Is this a reasonable suggestion--or am I way out of my depth? lol

Tiptoes
02-10-2003, 13:38
This is true,

but there are some 40 or more different ICMP types only one/two of them is a "ping" otherwise known as an" ECHO REQUEST" TYPE number 8 in the list and the other one is an ECHO reply.

http://www.cotse.com/icmptypes.html

MadGamer
07-10-2003, 18:09
How do i clear my statics of Zone Alarm? Such as the firewall has blocked so many and so many of those are high rated. How do i clear these?

Tiptoes
07-10-2003, 18:33
there should be a button That allows you to clear the log in zonealarm however just rename the ZAlog.txt file