PDA

View Full Version : IP Check..

roughneck
29-09-2004, 19:22
Hi all

I have encountered this problem before and have been unable to restore my internet connection despite numerous reboots of pc/stb/router.

The only cure for me was a re-install of Windows XP.

I now know that if DHCP fails then Windows uses Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) to automatically configure itself with an IP address from the range 169.254.0.1 through to 169.254.255.254.

WinsockFix is a handy little utility that seems to correct the problem (it repairs a corrupted tcp/ip stack).

You can download it from the link below.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/544752~62fe0e8dc00fac87e6f0f83c54d283a4/WinsockFix.zip

Hope this helps someone.

roughneck

michael stewart
29-09-2004, 22:56
Occasionally my pc (XP) loses broadband connection (NTL) .When I look at IP address it is invariably 169 etc. Re-start always re-connects to NTL and IP then reads 81 etc. don't know why. happens about every 3 - 5 days. and NTL don't know why either !!

Michael Stewart

KevAmiga
30-09-2004, 16:31
@ Michael

When you get your 169 IP do you need to reboot the modem as well as the PC to regain your 81.xxx.xxx.xxx IP ?

Kev

michael stewart
30-09-2004, 18:36
Hi Kev
So far I have not had to re-boot modem for this pupose, only for loss of TV programmes. Just a re-start on the PC and we are away again for up 3 or 5 days. I have now a Sangsum set top modems. The Pace modems weren't bad on TV only, but not very stable with Broadband as well. Their internal modems kept dieing.

Apparantly, when you get 169 ++++, the PC is looking up its own backside i.e. at its internal bits so I have been told. I must tell you that I know very little else about it, I am not a PC anorak by any means. I rely on NTL phone assist if problems arise. Lately the whole thing has been very good.
Hope this clarifies things a bit for you

Michael Stewart

icey
30-09-2004, 18:42
hi,
about the 169 ip address

i have recently been trying to connect to the internet but cant get no connection. i keep getting a 169 ip address. my internet was working until beginning of september when i lost the connection totally because of an 'UNSIGNED DRIVER INSTALLED' could anyone possibly tell me if this has anythning to do with my internet connection.

HELP PLEASE :(

MANY THANKS ICEY

KevAmiga
01-10-2004, 01:56
@ Michael - Sorry, i know nothing about STB's!!!

@ icey More info dude...

Tell me what :

Operating System
Modem type
Usb / Ethernet connection

Cheers

Kev

alanf617
03-10-2004, 01:13
I had similar problems, using a DLink Wireless network link to the DLink router connected to the STB. Eventually, some genius sent me the following
"Disable APIPA on a specific NIC HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<adapter name>
On the Edit menu, Add Value name IPAutoconfigurationEnabled, as a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 0. The default (missing) value is 1, which enables APIPA on this interface.
Disable APIPA on the Entire Computer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters
On the Edit menu, Add Value name IPAutoconfigurationEnabled, as a REG_DWORD data type, and set the data value to 0. The default (missing) value is 1, which enables APIPA on ALL interfaces.
You must restart the PC for the change to take effect."

Basically, my understanding is that the PC looked for the network, couldn't find it in time and started looking at its own arse, hence the 169.x.x.x address. This adjustment to the registry seemed to stop it hunting its arse but had to be re-done after some windows upgrades. Now, all seems ok except that I had to use a manual IP address inside TCP/IP properties. Possibly it took so long because the D Link card was failing, but a few quid sorted that out.

Hope this helps

icey
05-10-2004, 18:23
@ Michael - Sorry, i know nothing about STB's!!!

@ icey More info dude...

Tell me what :

Operating System
Modem type
Usb / Ethernet connection

Cheers

Kev
Ambit 100 ( the silver modem)
USB

IVE TRIED CALLING NTL THEY ARE NO HELP AT ALL, THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A OS PROBLEM BUT AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH IT...I WAS RECOMMENDED TO USE ETHERNET BUT IM JUST TRYING TO GET ALL THE HELP I CAN GET BEFORE SWITCHING TO ETHERNET BECAUSE IT MIGHT JUST BE A SMALL PROBLEM THAT I COULD HAVE FIGURED A LONG TIME AGO.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME :(???

cheers kev

icey
05-10-2004, 18:26
i also need someone to tell me how i can get my computer to get an automatic IP address because at the moment the computer is not connecting (communicating) with the modem.....any suggestions?????

alanf617
05-10-2004, 19:12
It may be a corrupt file - go to
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 and download Winsockfix.exe ... there are loads of sites with this file, so if you can't get it there, just type Winsockfix.exe into google and search. It repairs the problem and allows you to logon again. Just run it, it repairs the problem and then reboots the pc. THEN do what I suggested in post number 10, above. Good luck

Tezcatlipoca
06-10-2004, 01:33
Eventually, some genius sent me the following

Heh, cheers ;) :)

Original info on disabling APIPA: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=228806#post228806

icey
06-10-2004, 17:40
It may be a corrupt file - go to
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 and download Winsockfix.exe ... there are loads of sites with this file, so if you can't get it there, just type Winsockfix.exe into google and search. It repairs the problem and allows you to logon again. Just run it, it repairs the problem and then reboots the pc. THEN do what I suggested in post number 10, above. Good luck

cheers alan ill give that a try.

thanks everyone for helping!

raimundo
09-11-2004, 00:57
I lost connection overnight - spent the usual 20 mins before I got hold of Tech. Support - very patient guy. Did all the usual things to 'eliminate' all possibilities- fair enough, though I knew there probably wasn't anything he'd suggest that would fix it, as this happens about every 2 months, I'm down for 12 hours sometime slonger and, as today, it magically comes back on stream if I'm patient.

Tech. Support said that the problem could be that the DHCP server has run out of IPs' and I just have to wait until there's a free slot - pretty hard to believe. So they are telling me that I pay £37.99 per month and I can't be guaranteed and IP :mad:

My modem is flashing away happily, but the DHCP server is 'unreachable'?
This is really annoying, cos' each time I waste about an hour with Tech. Support and I just know they aren't gonna fix it - 10/10 for trying though.

So what is it that dies and then is reborn every couple of months?

I'm in the Manchester area and a friend who has exactly the same setup 2 miles way never has this problem.

hjf288
09-11-2004, 01:51
Mine just went offline - Probably routine maintanence as usual

raimundo
09-11-2004, 09:02
If it's routine maintenance they a company the size of NTL should have the ability to keep its customers on line by rerouting or whatever.

michael stewart
09-11-2004, 10:39
I lost connection overnight - spent the usual 20 mins before I got hold of Tech. Support - very patient guy. Did all the usual things to 'eliminate' all possibilities- fair enough, though I knew there probably wasn't anything he'd suggest that would fix it, as this happens about every 2 months, I'm down for 12 hours sometime slonger and, as today, it magically comes back on stream if I'm patient.

Tech. Support said that the problem could be that the DHCP server has run out of IPs' and I just have to wait until there's a free slot - pretty hard to believe. So they are telling me that I pay £37.99 per month and I can't be guaranteed and IP :mad:

My modem is flashing away happily, but the DHCP server is 'unreachable'?
This is really annoying, cos' each time I waste about an hour with Tech. Support and I just know they aren't gonna fix it - 10/10 for trying though.

So what is it that dies and then is reborn every couple of months?

I'm in the Manchester area and a friend who has exactly the same setup 2 miles way never has this problem.

I would imagine that your problem is due to something local to your area. However I must point out that I am no IT expert. However, the more I see and hear of these 'drop out' problems, the more I am convinced that the problem and its solving is up tp NTL. I agree that the staff are very helpfull. But it is a disgrace that it takes any of us 20 or more minutes to get a phone call answered. A firm this size should answer within 30 seconds, no more. Most of their problems I am sure are caused because the company is SKINT.

Michael Stewart

michael stewart
09-11-2004, 13:15
Mine just went offline - Probably routine maintanence as usual

I have had less problems since I used the ethernet connection both ends and upped the ram to 512.. This may be coincidental because there seems to be little logic in it.

alanf617
09-11-2004, 19:44
Poo. Is there any way of telling from homewhether they've run out of IP addresses ?

michael stewart
09-11-2004, 19:57
hi,
about the 169 ip address

i have recently been trying to connect to the internet but cant get no connection. i keep getting a 169 ip address. my internet was working until beginning of september when i lost the connection totally because of an 'UNSIGNED DRIVER INSTALLED' could anyone possibly tell me if this has anythning to do with my internet connection.

HELP PLEASE :(

MANY THANKS ICEY

Hi
If you keep getting a 169, try going to control panel then internet connections. At either 'Broadband connection' or 'Local connection', find the 'repair' menu. If the reapir works, this should give you an address starting 10++++++ etc. Then open your home page and in the address area type in 'StartNTL'. this should allow you to re-register. If this doesn't do it, then its back to NTL and take a book to read while you are waiting

Michael Stewart

michael stewart
09-11-2004, 20:02
Hi
If you keep getting a 169, try going to control panel then internet connections. At either 'Broadband connection' or 'Local connection', find the 'repair' menu. If the reapir works, this should give you an address starting 10++++++ etc. Then open your home page and in the address area type in 'StartNTL'. this should allow you to re-register. If this doesn't do it, then its back to NTL and take a book to read while you are waiting

Michael Stewart

BarFly
09-11-2004, 20:43
Hi

Michael Stewart this isnt going to work as the poster has a cable modem, if he does pick up a 10ip on a CM then something is seriously wrong with the DHCP server..;) & the start.ntl < 172.16.30.35/83/84 > only works with STBs,

if the customer has a Ambit < silver CM > then its worth carefully unscrewing the COAX cable, rebooting the pc & cm & seeing if picks up a ip addresss starting with 192 eg. 192.168.10.11, if so get on the phone & pull up a pew as it could be a while, as this is a NTL / CM issue...9 times out 10 :dozey:..if however you get 169ip again, tends to suggest the pc isnt talking to Cm & you looking at physical connections, drivers etc

All this though is a presumption that both SYNCH & RDY lights are both solid & everything ok driver wise < nic or USB > if either either synch or rdy not solid ignore what ive put & check the server staus page or telco no., if nothing on there, try tech support. :)

Barfly

hjf288
10-11-2004, 00:33
I have had less problems since I used the ethernet connection both ends and upped the ram to 512.. This may be coincidental because there seems to be little logic in it.
A gig of ram - Ethernet connection to cable modem since i got it (good year or few ago)

Came back online in an hour so probably was maintanence

michael stewart
10-11-2004, 10:19
this isnt going to work as the poster has a cable modem, if he does pick up a 10ip on a CM then something is seriously wrong with the DHCP server..;) & the start.ntl < 172.16.30.35/83/84 > only works with STBs,

if the customer has a Ambit < silver CM > then its worth carefully unscrewing the COAX cable, rebooting the pc & cm & seeing if picks up a ip addresss starting with 192 eg. 192.168.10.11, if so get on the phone & pull up a pew as it could be a while, as this is a NTL / CM issue...9 times out 10 :dozey:..if however you get 169ip again, tends to suggest the pc isnt talking to Cm & you looking at physical connections, drivers etc

All this though is a presumption that both SYNCH & RDY lights are both solid & everything ok driver wise < nic or USB > if either either synch or rdy not solid ignore what ive put & check the server staus page or telco no., if nothing on there, try tech support. :)

Barfly

To Barfly
Note your comments re cable modem. I have a Samsung cable tuner with modem. When I lost almost everything due to an attempt to download SP2, (Shan't do that again !) this procedure worked for me. It was recommended by NTL. If I had as much trouble as some people are having, I would hammer at NTL's door until they sent someone round (Assuming that there is no software glitch in the PC) or I would ditch NTL broadband completely. I am definately not any sort of expert and just follow instructions blindly.

I have friends and family on BT B band and never a glitch. I also have two friends on AOL B band and one on Tiscali. Once set up, none of them have suffered a problem. The fact that they are all BT based might be indicative of something. They and I all use XP Home SP1

Hopefully the above is food for thought

Michael Stewart

carter
10-11-2004, 14:27
I have friends and family on BT B band and never a glitch. I also have two friends on AOL B band and one on Tiscali. Once set up, none of them have suffered a problem. The fact that they are all BT based might be indicative of something. They and I all use XP Home SP1

Hopefully the above is food for thought

Michael Stewart

And i know people who have never had a problem with NTL, apart from the occassional downtime due to work in the local area.

Also, I am fairly technically minded, and help friends and family, and one of those has Pipex broadband, which also uses BT and i am constantly around their house fixing things for them.

These problems are not exclusive to NTL, they never have been and never will be. Yes, they have problems, but so do the other companies, these issues could be pc related, they could be cabling related, they could be hardware related.

It cannot be helped that the type of product that any broadband service is, is by its very nature, a very complex product.

michael stewart
10-11-2004, 15:23
To Carter
I agree, the problems are complex, mostly I think because the technology is still in its infancy. If one were to buy any other sort of electrical gadget that gave so much agro, we would sling it back and ask for a refund. I have no doubt that 10 years from now the whole picture will be unrecognizable: And I must admit that for the last 5 or 6 weeks, things have been very stable except for the inevitable loss during NTL maintance periods.

Michael Stewart

denispatrick
08-12-2004, 00:45
Hi

I was loosing connection every few minutes on a day old Installation.
When the connection was lost I would run Winipcfg, this would show
a 169.xxx IP Instead of 81.xxx IP. I resolved the problem by changing
the NIC from the On-Board ( Motherboard) to a slot-in PCI type NIC. Had no
problems since. :)

Hope this helps anyone.

BB Internet, Ntl 200 cable modem, Win 89 se.

iadom
08-12-2004, 09:54
This one has slipped past paulyoung666, so in his absence, :welcome: to CableForum, thanks for a helpful first post.:tu:

michael stewart
08-12-2004, 09:58
Hi

I was loosing connection every few minutes on a day old Installation.
When the connection was lost I would run Winipcfg, this would show
a 169.xxx IP Instead of 81.xxx IP. I resolved the problem by changing
the NIC from the On-Board ( Motherboard) to a slot-in PCI type NIC. Had no
problems since. :)

Hope this helps anyone.

BB Internet, Ntl 200 cable modem, Win 89 se.

michael stewart
08-12-2004, 10:00
Sounds like a very 'technical' cure for your problem...What lead you to suspect that this was the cure to your problem ?

Michael Stewart

denispatrick
12-12-2004, 22:56
I remembered that when I built this computer abt 12 months ago, that I had a problem with the on-board Ethernet so I disabled it through Bios and used a slot-in pci card. When I recently had Ntl cabled installed I re-activated it and used it to register etc.

Denis :)

swellybro
11-01-2005, 11:02
Hi, just found this thread and thought i would add my problems on.

I return sometimes to my PC to find the internet is not working usually this happens at night, using ipconfig i find that the PC has been issued the Ip address of 169.254.193.206 or something similar. I examine the Samsung STB to find it flashing, i presume it is searching for the network, i turn the computer off and turn off the STB, leaving the STB off for a few minutes. Then i power the STB back on, the flashing thing still happens for ages i left it last night for an hour waiting for it to go solid, i reboot the computer and am still not getting an IP address. Last night i went to bed at 00.30 and when i got up the internet is working again. I must stress this happens very occasionally but i very frustrating when it does happen.

Ipconfig/release or renew do not work, is there anything i can do with the box?

I will try some of the solutions put out this thread to try and sort this out in the future.

Stuart
11-01-2005, 11:19
swellybro: Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your IP problem, it sounds like your broadband connection needs looking at. When you turn on the STB, it should start the network light flashing, and searching for an IP (network address). This should take around 10-15 seconds (or so I have been told by Customer Services). When it finds one, the network light will be steady.

If it's losing the connection randomly (it sounds like it is) then it sounds like your signal levels are too low or too high. Unfortunately, you can't do anything to correct this. You need to call NTL and get them to look at it.

michael stewart
11-01-2005, 11:20
Hi Swellybro
Read your note with interest. 169 etc. means, so i understand, that the PC is looking up its own innards. If a re-boot from the box, plus a restart to the PC doesn't re-connect, then there is not much else you can do - assumming that you have not changed any settings - You might have a dodgy Samsung box although my limited experience shows that the Samsung boxes are far more stable than the Pace ones, both for broadband and TV (No doubt others will argue differently)
Sometimes using Control panel/Local area connection/repair will work giving you an ip address starting 10. ++++. this will enble you to re-sign in using 'ntlstart' or 'startntl' in the address box.
My problems seem to have dissapeared since I upped the RAM to 512 and changed from a Pace to a Samsung box (No loxic in either) but there you go.
Good Luck

Michael Stewart

swellybro
11-01-2005, 11:39
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help, i was hoping it wasn't an NTL problem, now it means waiting through the technical support line queue, oh joy! ;)

They recently replaced the Pace box with the Samsung due to problems with my broadband connection, though again this was intermittent (the techie tried to blame my RJ45 wire, but i perserved and he did agree that it was a problem with the Pace box).

The Pace box would usually recover after a reboot as you said about 15-20 secs. This appears to be taking longer with the Samsung Box, and i wasn't going to stay up later than 00:30 to find out how long i had left it an hour already.

I just checked and it does say maintainance work took place last night so maybe that effected it, though in the past there has been no maintaince and it still went down. No doubt they will try and blame that. However the internet was down from about 19:30 on Monady night.

Anyhow i will give them a call.

Thanks

Richard

saxo_vtr_paul
03-06-2005, 01:15
Hi all

I have encountered this problem before and have been unable to restore my internet connection despite numerous reboots of pc/stb/router.

The only cure for me was a re-install of Windows XP.

I now know that if DHCP fails then Windows uses Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) to automatically configure itself with an IP address from the range 169.254.0.1 through to 169.254.255.254.

WinsockFix is a handy little utility that seems to correct the problem (it repairs a corrupted tcp/ip stack).

You can download it from the link below.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/544752~62fe0e8dc00fac87e6f0f83c54d283a4/WinsockFix.zip

Hope this helps someone.

roughneck

any program like above for Mac OS 9?

Janet
15-06-2005, 21:18
Hi everyone

I am hoping there is someone out there who can help, I am just about to launch pc out of the nearest window!

I had a new Samsung STB installed last Friday in order to upgrade to 2m broadband, My previous STB had worked faultlessly for 2yrs on 750K. Since the new one arrived I have been unable to connect to the internet due to a 169... IP address.

I have read, inwardly digested and followed all suggestions made in this thread but to no avail. It is not a fault with the STB as I borrowed the bosses laptop and that connected without problems.

My computer is connected directly to the STB with ethernet cable and I am running Windows XP.

I have been on the phone to tech support that many times they know my computer life history. Got several differing opinions but took all suggestions on board. ( A special mention for James at tech support, who although could not fix my problem was an absolute pleasure to talk to and very helpfull)

Any new suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Janet

alanf617
15-06-2005, 21:30
Hi Janet

My advice is to do as the man says.... that Winsock fix is a godsend. run it, it will reboot your PC and all should be well. I've run it so many times, I got sick of dynamic IP addresses and told my PC to always use 192.168.0.111, which is within reach of my wireless router but too high a number tobe used by the kids' PCs.

Once you have run the Winsock fix program, save it somewhere where you won't delete it though.

Good luck

Alan

michael stewart
15-06-2005, 22:00
Read your note. Sorry about your problem. Can't think of anything else to suggest. I am amazed that NTL can't figure it out. I have found them 100% successful - so far. You may have to call in someone from NTL to your home address to look through all the 'Internet choice' and 'Internet connection' menus

Michael Stewart

Paul K
15-06-2005, 22:08
Janet as suggested try the link from here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=487126&postcount=38
but I would hazard a guess that you would be unlikely to get anyone from NTL to visit your home to look through your settings as it's not their job unfortunately. (Unless a friendly tech lives near you lol.)
It could just be that something has corrupted on your PC or it might even be down to an errant firewall setting somewhere. Personally I would suggest starting a new thread if the fix is unsuccessful and we can look at things more thoroughly for you :)

Raistlin
15-06-2005, 22:10
Hi everyone

Hi Janet,

:welcome: to Cable Forum :)

Try as Paul has suggested, if that fails hopefully someone else will be along soon that can help to sort things for you.

Janet
15-06-2005, 22:39
Thanks all

Unfortunately I have already tried the following;
Rebooting both STB and pc as instructed. I have downloaded and run WinsockFix but that made no difference. I have run ipconfig release and renew with the resulting message " unable to contact your DHCP" and I have gone over my settings with a fine tooth comb to ensure they are as they should be.

NTL have been good and made several suggestions but unfortunately, as they have concluded it is a problem with my pc and not their STB, there is nothing more they can do for me.

I would prefer to leave reinstalling windows as a last resort (but I am close!) as I believe that if I do not back everything up on to disk I will lose the lot, and even then there is no guarantees it will work.

Finally, if there are any computer savy NTL Tech in the Hampshire area...............!!!

Thanks again
Janet

Raistlin
15-06-2005, 22:39
Are you running a firewall at all?

BarFly
15-06-2005, 22:40
if you connect through etherent can you give this a try please :

it involves setting the network card to use 10 base half duplex, which is becoming a bit of an issue with the Samsung STB's

< ripped from Mr Walkers site as he explains it so much better than me lol >

Windows 2000 or XP: to change to half-duplex:

Open Control Panel.
Double-click Network Connections.
Identify the icon for your cable modem connection: usually Local Area Connection.
Right-click that icon and select Properties.
Under the ethernet adapter icon, click the button Configure.

Click the tab Advanced to bring it to the front:

In the Property box, the property name to be selected varies according to model of ethernet card. Examples are: Network Link Selection, Media Type, Connection Type, Duplex Mode, or any similarly-named property which can have Values looking like Auto-Negotiation, or 10BT, or 10BaseT.
In the Value box, select a value which either (a) explicitly says half-duplex or semi-duplex, or (b) at least does not say full-duplex [e.g. 10BaseT on its own is OK]. If there is a choice between 10 and 100 with half-duplex, choose the 10. Do not choose 10Base5, 10Base2, or AUI.

Click OK to exit the Adapter settings.

Click OK to exit the Connection properties
see if this resolves any issues with the connection, you may need to reboot everything, STB & pc, for it to take affect, though shouldnt need to...

Paul K
15-06-2005, 22:43
Thanks all

Unfortunately I have already tried the following;
Rebooting both STB and pc as instructed. I have downloaded and run WinsockFix but that made no difference. I have run ipconfig release and renew with the resulting message " unable to contact your DHCP" and I have gone over my settings with a fine tooth comb to ensure they are as they should be.

NTL have been good and made several suggestions but unfortunately, as they have concluded it is a problem with my pc and not their STB, there is nothing more they can do for me.

I would prefer to leave reinstalling windows as a last resort (but I am close!) as I believe that if I do not back everything up on to disk I will lose the lot, and even then there is no guarantees it will work.

Finally, if there are any computer savy NTL Tech in the Hampshire area...............!!!

Thanks again
Janet
Nah you can reinstall windows without losing your documents and files, all you need to do after the install finishes is re-load you applications and patches :)

Janet
15-06-2005, 23:24
Yippee ;)

Barfly......You are an absolute star!!!!

Followed your instructions and hey presto.......a normal IP and I can chuck the horrible dial up I was having to use to post here earlier!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am now one very happy lady

Thanks a Million
Janet

BarFly
15-06-2005, 23:35
no probs, glad its all sorted!

allanprg
16-06-2005, 14:55
I looked on this site for my troubles for broadband. For the last month or so I kept getting a sudden disconnect. It wouldn't work at all. Reboot stb and pc. Nothing. Then suddenly after two days switched on and it worked. It went again
about two weeks later. Same thing. Then last night same thing. I checked everthing all alright. Winipcfg. ip addresses right. Nothing. Then Ntl said it might be winsock problem. I'm on Windows Me. Tried the winsocfix I downloaded from this site. Low and behold it's working now. So thanks for the info. Apparently Me can suffer from this problem. ;)