PDA

View Full Version : X.videotron customers in SE/SW and W London

gallego1
27-09-2003, 10:31
Have you seen an ntl van in your area upgrading the network or have received notification that it will be available soon

Undisputedtruth
27-09-2003, 17:38
How about putting a box for "no action by ntl seen".

BBKing
29-09-2003, 21:08
Or one for 'there are none so blind as those that cannot see?'.

It's happening, accept it.

cjmillsnun
29-09-2003, 21:31
yes but how long is it taking (4 years and counting) since promised "coming soon".

In this I agree with UDT and RO that this is entirely unacceptable.

Did anyone at NTL do any research into the state of the Videotron network before they took on CWC. I doubt it, they would have walked away, had they know what it would do to them

Ignition
29-09-2003, 22:52
Silence breaker - for those who worship Telewest so vehemently and seem to think they could do such a better job, they are literally only in the past few weeks upgrading bits of Birmingham, street by street, that had no return path previously.

Would anyone have done a better job than ntl have given the circumstances?

Isn't this topic just the most boring, in between people who want absolute facts and wont accept anything anyone says unless signed by the entire executive board in blood, and those who swear blind that nothing is being done (it is - specifics I can't give, people would only get peeved if they were told their postcode were being done and it took longer than though due to local cable being so poor). It's in progress and as soon as areas are confirmed active it'll be announced :)

Yes it's taken a very long time, but Videotron areas can and are being upgraded, Southampton being an example. It's not cheap, and it takes a while to get a return on such heavy investment. In places it's cost as much as it would have cost to build from scratch.

Considering how alledgedly troubled ntl are financially doesn't it say something that they are investing such a degree of engineering time and money in achieving this. It's a long, slow, painstaking process, and has taken too long. It IS happening though.

Gogogo
30-09-2003, 12:23
...Would anyone have done a better job than ntl have given the circumstances?

Isn't this topic just the most boring, in between people who want absolute facts and wont accept anything anyone says unless signed by the entire executive board in blood, and those who swear blind that nothing is being done (it is - specifics I can't give, people would only get peeved if they were told their postcode were being done and it took longer than though due to local cable being so poor). It's in progress and as soon as areas are confirmed active it'll be announced :) Yes it's taken a very long time, but Videotron areas can and are being upgraded, Southampton being an example. It's not cheap, and it takes a while to get a return on such heavy investment. In places it's cost as much as it would have cost to build from scratch.

Considering how alledgedly troubled ntl are financially doesn't it say something that they are investing such a degree of engineering time and money in achieving this. It's a long, slow, painstaking process, and has taken too long. It IS happening though.

:blah:

It appears that NTL have plenty of cash they are even throwing as much as they can at Mr. Knapp et al:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/city/story/0,7497,1051988,00.html

There is no evidence that exVideotron areas are being upgraded at all.

:eek:

gallego1
30-09-2003, 16:55
We know that Ntl are taking their time for whatever reason but as previously stated Southampton has recently been Converted.

Surely though you would get a quicker return in the capital where the population is more concentrated and there are some big businesses that would love to pay money for the service.

However it appears that Ntl are upgrading everyone else eg the CR3 rollout to Orig areas from CR2 when Cr1 areas are being left behind

Yes it may sound boring to ask for factual information all the time but that is how knowledge is passed and Ntl dislike giving info to their customers.

I do not dislike Ntl services and I have not had a major problem with my Dtv or Dial up since videotron/cwc/ntl days which is nearly 7 years. But there comes a time when you hear/read about other areas getting discounts, freebies etc and the common response to the London problem is cableing and money.

Why Not divert some of the funds going to freebies and discounts and update "the london plan"

Chris
30-09-2003, 18:25
We know that Ntl are taking their time for whatever reason but as previously stated Southampton has recently been Converted.

Surely though you would get a quicker return in the capital where the population is more concentrated and there are some big businesses that would love to pay money for the service.

without being in any way on the 'inside', I can think of a couple of possible reasons why London might be a tougher nut to crack than southampton. The cable may in an even more parlous state, and then it's possible the planning departments of the relevant London boroughs are being less co-operative than the city council in Southampton. Assuming traffic density is higher in London, there may be a longer lead time between applying to do work and it being allowed to start.

Gogogo
30-09-2003, 18:36
without being in any way on the 'inside', I can think of a couple of possible reasons why London might be a tougher nut to crack than southampton. The cable may in an even more parlous state, and then it's possible the planning departments of the relevant London boroughs are being less co-operative than the city council in Southampton. Assuming traffic density is higher in London, there may be a longer lead time between applying to do work and it being allowed to start.

Not in Harrow, roads and pavements are constantly being dug up by contractors, the local council is quite generous doesn't mind at all regardless of traffic congestion which in Harrow is a nightmare. I've seen all the utilities active: gas, water, electricity, BT.

:cool:

gallego1
30-09-2003, 22:37
, I can think of a couple of possible reasons why London might be a tougher nut to crack than southampton. The cable may in an even more parlous state, and then it's possible the planning departments of the relevant London boroughs are being less co-operative than the city council in Southampton.

Surprise Surprise Its that old nutmeg again, councils not allowing roads to be dug up . :rolleyes:

Do they need to dig up the roads again to replace cables in the same ducting as the old ones???????????:confused:

Undisputedtruth
02-10-2003, 22:44
Surprise Surprise Its that old nutmeg again, councils not allowing roads to be dug up . :rolleyes:

Do they need to dig up the roads again to replace cables in the same ducting as the old ones???????????:confused:

Surprise, surprise that ole chestnut. I can see loads of excuses flying just to ensure London does not get BB. I can remember campaigning for fibre to the homes and employees from NTL came up with a load of BS excuses without a shred of evidence to support what they are saying. There were even using the 'lane rental' excuse. Sorry, the only London borough using 'lane rental' is Camden and NTL do not even have a franchise there!

Gogogo
04-10-2003, 17:33
Recent letter received four months after my letter to CL, NTLHome, London from via Swansea:

Thank you for your letter received in the customer Liaison Department, regarding the availability of services to your area.

Having investigated your comments I can confirm that there are currently no plans to supply Broadband, Interactive or Caller ID services at this time. This does not mean however that they will never become available in your area. We are currently undertaking a major upgrade programme at this time with the aim of allowing all of our customers across the country to have equal, state-of-the-art services, and as you can imagine this will take time. Once a service becomes available you will be notified prior to the services arrival. This will allow ample time for you to sign up and register for the service.

Once again I would like to thank you for your letter and your patience. ntl:home endeavour to provide a world class service and is constantly reviewing our products and services based on your comments.

Well, at least they remembered to thank a customer for their patience! Still very vague: no mention of poor quality cabeling, lack of funds which clearly there isn't nor non-cooperation of the local council which is also the BS given by certain NTL luvvy duvvies on the .com and this site!

:rolleyes: