PDA

View Full Version : Excessive ARP Broadcast traffic from DG

schiller
11-06-2005, 18:03
I am receiving 170 meg worth or broadcast packets per day from the default gateway.

These are mostly requests "Who has... Tell..."

Does anyone have any ideas? I find this very odd and im not sure what happening is correct.

If any one can shed any light on it i would be greatful.

Ignition
11-06-2005, 18:36
I am receiving 170 meg worth or broadcast packets per day from the default gateway.

Does anyone have any ideas? I find this very odd and im not sure what happening is correct.

Don't worry about it, normal part of cable network operation and quite harmless. The broadcasts don't even use up your bandwidth either usage allowance or speed of download.

Paul
11-06-2005, 18:49
Don't worry about it, normal part of cable network operation and quite harmless. The broadcasts don't even use up your bandwidth either usage allowance or speed of download.It's a normal part of pretty much any IP network.

schiller
11-06-2005, 19:15
Thanks.

I'd not noticed it before, its a significant amount of data.

Toto
11-06-2005, 23:40

170 Meg, can you be more specific, that seems extremely high for ARP traffic?

Matth
12-06-2005, 23:11
About double the typical 1KB/s background that I saw (before router), if that's over a full 24H.

If you are trying to monitor, and the program isn't able to filter it, then it's very annoying - the easiest way to hide it is to use a router, even if you only have one PC - the router also makes a very good first stage filter against any other background junk.