PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Online Troubles, Will Not Work.

AgentDark
11-06-2005, 17:51
Hello, I am new here and thought you guys could help me with my ps2 online troubles. Ever since iI moved my ps2 to my room with the computer it hasn't been working online. Some cable guy told me I had to turn off my computer when I played and then it would work and it still didn't work. I would have a cable going from the PS2 to an Ethernet switch with only the ps2 plugged into it. Didn't work. So then I put the cable straight form the PS2 to the wall which leads downstairs to a cable modem. It still didn't work. None of my online ps2 games work now and when I play something such as Resident Evil Outbreak:Yikes: it would give me a message saying "Failed to automatically receive an IP address by DHCP. Please check the DHCP configuration in your network configuration. ERROR CODE: ERR204". Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I went to the network configuration and went to set IP address and I put it in manually instead of automatically.... But it won't let you passed that step unless you put in a netmask and a deault router IP and I have no clue what or how to get those. Thanks for the help in advance.

Tezcatlipoca
11-06-2005, 18:00
:welcome:

Perhaps you need to reboot the modem before connecting the PS2? [e.g. with ntl cable, you have to reboot (power cycle) the cable modem if you connect a different device to it]

Or it could be that the modem is locked to a single MAC address, so the PS2 would have to be given the PC's MAC address somehow.

You shouldn't give the PS2 a manual IP if your ISP doesn't give you a fixed IP.

How is the PC's connection set? Does it have a manual IP (& gateway router IP & DNS IP etc) or is it set to obtain IP automatically?

AgentDark
11-06-2005, 23:59
Thank you so much. I rebooted my cable modem and it worked, but there were some issues. I had to make another account. Is that going to happen everytime I reboot my modem? And is there any faster way to switch between my PC and PS2 without lowering my internet speed? Thanks again.

Tezcatlipoca
12-06-2005, 00:45
I'm glad it worked :)

As for whether you'll have to make a new account each time you do it...sorry, no idea. you don't need to with e.g. ntl, but obviously whoever you have use a different system.

Personally, to make things easier, I'd recommend getting a NAT router to share your connection from the cable modem to both the PC & PS2 at the same time...then there'd be no need to swap cables over, & no need to reboot each time.

AgentDark
12-06-2005, 05:11
Ya, I had a router but my internet speed was ridiculous. I couldn't do anything. Eh, I guess I'll just stick to playing online games for the PC and play PS2 online only when I need it. Once again, thanks a lot.

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 09:55
A correctly set up router shouldn't affect your internet speed.

I have a wireless route connecting my laptop to the cable modem, I regularly get download speeds above 200kB/s.

AgentDark
13-06-2005, 01:41
With the router my download speed was a little over 56kbps :shocked:. Now, without the router, my download speed is 5.24 Mbps. I'll stick to not using a router, heh.